Soon to be in Malta

Hi All,

I am writing on behalf of my wife and I, who will soon be in Malta once our single letter work permits are processed.

We are from South Africa and will be working as Auditors in Malta. We do have a few questions and concerns... But our HR department provided us with good information.

But I would like to find out the following:

- Is it common to use public transport to and from  work? Also, approximately how much would it cost for us both in average on a single month? We will be working at the same office. Or is it more advisable to try and get a car? And how much is a decent second hand vehicle?

- Once we are granted our working visas and malta ID - how easily accessible is the rest of Europe? Do we need separate visas for visiting other Schengen areas?

- Over weekends and free time, what is it most popular to do? Is the shopping centers quite busy? On that topic, my wife is a shopaholic! How expensive is clothing, make up, accessories etc?

Hope someone can help!

Public transport is a bit of a lotto on where you live where you go and what time you want to get there. It can be great it can be completely unusable.

You will get a residence card this covers visa needs for the schengen states not the whole EU afaik. I am also Saffa but have a British passport so not 100% sure if it gets you EU wide access - definitely schengen though

There isn't much you would recognise as a mall here. Sea in summer though. There is a surprising amount to do here culturally and much of Europe is a €20 flight away