Be Careful out there: Pamplemousses Garden & Documents Safety

On Monday, my wife went to the Pamplemousses Botanical Garden for a stroll with our 10 month old baby and she got MUGGED at KNIFE POINT by 2 young guys, in broad daylight with people around. They put a kitchen knife to her throat and stole her bag. She had 4 stitches in her neck from the assault.

Botanical Gardens is a highly visited touristic attraction with lots of people and yet this happened. And they attacked a Woman with a Baby. So be very CAREFUL out there. We hope police will find the culprits so that it does not happen to others.

Biggest issue though for expats/returning diaspora, when you lose your foreign documents, you are in a pretty bad spot. She lost her US drivers license from the theft, but local authorities can't do much without the original drivers license which was stolen. We tried to go and show a copy and ask if they could convert it to a Mauritian one due to the circumstances, but unfortunately not :( 

So, learn from our experience, keep your drivers license safe in your car rather than in wallet as is usually the case in the US.

Better to keep that sort of stuff in a hidden pocket so the low life vermin never see it.

While traveling, it makes sense to have hidden under-pockets etc.. but we live here now and in everyday life, it just makes it very unpractical. But i guess that's one solution to not have it stolen.

I still use one and it's fine.

I had a friend mugged at knife point in Flic en Flac. Although there were photos of the culprits and video of them in the bar, the police did nothing, intact they didn't eVen view the video surveillance. They would not even take the statement until the following day. "Tourist" don't matter!

Hope your wife is now okay, but has she gotten over the incident and is confident enough to still venture out alone with the baby?

@tinauk in our case, police seems to be doing the best they can - they reviewed videos, but unfortunately they had cameras only at cashiers and not in all the garden. They're on to something. Hopefully it leads somewhere.
@gemais She's ok, but definitely after this incident, it's hard to just go out and not think about safety and being out on her own.

All the best, hope they find them.

Hi Nilesh,

I've just read your message - sorry I was abroad for a while. Hope your wife is ok, she surely got very shocked

I hope the police will quickly catch these *** !

Hopefully will catch them. It's a shocking experience and hard to get past the emotions it raises. Hope all works out well for you.