Bring my car to Puerto Rico & License info.

I am in South Carolina now & will be moving to Isabella, Puerto Rico & I am bringing my 2017 Chevrolet Cruze with me & the military will ship it for free. They will not do the paper work as I was told I not have to pay the tax. The question is can I drive on my US plate temporally till I get to the DMV & get my Puerto Rico plate? I hear I do not need insurance on the car? What would happen if I got into an accident there? I have Allstate here on it & they told me I am covered there till policy runs out but I have to use my SC plate. Other thing anyone know if OnStar works there & their WiFi as it uses AT&T. Also SiriusXM get signal there? The Warranty will be valid there so I am not worried about that. I will be there for 5 years. I hear there is car inspection every year? where does the inspection sticker go?
How many years does a Puerto Rico license last? 10 years etc. Does Puerto Rico have a point system & do they check my US record  if I had points here in the US?  I went to their web site but my Spanish is bad & no English on site.

Thanks

We are a military family and was stationed in PR for three years (2103-2016). We were able to keep our Alaska plates and drivers licenses. Do you have a sponsor from your new PR unit?  They should be able to provide you with a wealth of helpful tidbits.
Feel free to PM me with any military related questions - I'll do my best to help.

Too many questions.
Nº point system. Nº on star.
It's going to cost you a fortune in tax to bring your car in and it's a 2 day process at best. Find a service that will do it for you.
Basic no fault Insurance is included in the registration fee.
Out of state plates are valid for 3 days.

Plates remain on cars forever.. They do not change with owners.

We're moving WHERE? wrote:

Too many questions.
Nº point system. Nº on star.
It's going to cost you a fortune in tax to bring your car in and it's a 2 day process at best. Find a service that will do it for you.
Basic no fault Insurance is included in the registration fee.
Out of state plates are valid for 3 days.

The military absorbs all the cost of a vehicle shipment.
Unless things have changes in the last couple of years with PR-specific assignments, military members are allowed to keep their registration and drivers licenses of their home state.  No problem at all keeping our AK plates in PR for 3 years - you'll just need to get an ACAA sticker.  We are Alaska residents stationed in Virginia now, and are still allowed to maintain AK registry.
Again a sponsor is invaluable to explain all the nuances with military transfers to PR.

What is a ACAA sticker? Inspection sticker?
I am not in military my cousin is & car is being done through him as he allowed 1 car free to be shipped. His unit not sponcer anything as car is my name. I am allowed to use my current plate from South Carolina for 3 days? What do you mean by plates stay on car forever? If you sell you car there new owner or dealer keeps the plates? Unlike here if you sell car you keep plate & transfer it to new car.

ACAA is an insurance sticker you'll need to purchase from the Hacienda. Here's a link that might help since there's lots of particulars with vehicle shipment:
https://www.pcsmypov.com/Locations/Puerto%20Rico%20VPC
Your cousin really should ask about a sponsor - a military unit typically provides a sponsor to incoming members to help out since there's all sorts of things that need to be addressed regarding assignment to PR.
Feel free to PM me,but I am somewhat hesitant to provide specifics - all information should really come from your cousin's unit.

I checked the web site to estimate the taxes for the car I am thinking of bringing and the valuation is double what I paid for my 2009 car.  Any thoughts on how to argue for a lower taxable valuation?

Daryl603 wrote:

I checked the web site to estimate the taxes for the car I am thinking of bringing and the valuation is double what I paid for my 2009 car.  Any thoughts on how to argue for a lower taxable valuation?

There is no arguing, they will charge what they think. They use their own tables, Value of vehicle in US has no bearing on what PR will charge.