Car titles

How long does it take to get a PR title for an imported car after all the paperwork is done and you have the plates?

Usually the same day. If they have to mail it a week or two. But most cases are handled the same day.

We have been waiting over a year now.

Not sure what you mean by title. The ownership title you should have it from your dealer or bank when the car was payed. If you took a car loan, typically the bank holds the title and then sends it to you after the car is payed off.
Car registration you usually get at the moment you register your car unless their computers or printers were having an issue.

A title to a vehicle in Florida. Car title. I presume PR has the equivalent. I have the title. I presume I have to surrender it to register it in PR. What is the word they use to describe the document that proves I own it?

You should get the tittle at the time you process all the paperwork. If you don't have the tittle, you can go to any CESCO office and obtain one as long as the car is free of any leans. We purchased a car and got the tittle the same day we did the transfer to our name.

Just so that I am not confusing someone, I am importing a car to PR with a Florida title in my name. I want to register the car in PR and undoubtedly I will need to surrender the Florida title. That's my question, how long to get a PR title in that scenario.

Once the car gets to PR, the port will notify you and you will have to make arrangements to pick it up. Youhave to pay the taxes in Hacienda and then get tags in CESCO. At that time they will give you anew tittle and registration.

sandrarduncan wrote:

We have been waiting over a year now.

I will suggest going to the CESCO office and request one to be issued. We got our car tittle at the Mayaguez office in less than an our.

I shipped my car and they didn't issue another title that I know of.  They took my original title from Texas and put it in their files.  I think that is what they use here.

Really? PR holds the previous state's title and use that for their file and not issue a PR title? How odd is that.

If so, how are you supposed to ship it to the VI next year if you move for example, or sell it, or use it for bank collateral, or a number of other things that you may need proof of ownership of what may be a very highly expensive piece of personal property?

I believe they do issue a new tittle, since you will need to have the PR tittle if you decide to sell the vehicle in the future.

I stand corrected.  I see the PR title here in my files.  They issued it the same day I went to CESCO.

Sorry for the confusion.

I have a friend, who says they cant get a car title. Because thwy are under 21.  Anyime know about this. The car is from puerto rico
I cant find any information on this online

Ok I am back to give people updates on the bs at dtop/ cesco.  I guess per a new law in pr.  A person needs to attend a drug and alcohol class before getting a license.   Also another bullshit thing they are doing which is illegal and discriminates against people  is this
In order to get a real id in Puerto rico you have to have a passport or a Puerto rico birth certificate
So let's start by saying this is illegal
If you need an Id why should you have to pay $100 plus dollars for a passport,  some people are un6to get a passport,  i have a friend who has been denied 3 times due to an old drug charge
Next issue is that if you dont have a Puerto rico birth certificate.  Sorry this is illegal to discriminate and that is what the Puerto rico government is doing
People from Puerto rico were jumping through hoops and had additional requirements to get their state Id like in Georgia. well the lawsuit was won
As it should be
Now if you are interested in a lawsuit against the discrimination against those who were born else where in the us let me know
In justice is injustice

Not sure if you are correct or not, but to my knowledge you need your stateside license, your birth certificate, your driving record and your social security card, plus the med test and photos. Forgot, you also need some proof of recipe se, like a bill with the correct address.

I also read that if you have an expired PR license and need to get a new one, you have to take the permit test, no road test as it was required previously.

For a real id they will not accept your current license,  you need a passport or a Puerto birth certificate.
This is directly from dtop
https://www.dtop.pr.gov/real-id/

sandrarduncan wrote:

For a real id they will not accept your current license,  you need a passport or a Puerto birth certificate.
This is directly from dtop
https://www.dtop.pr.gov/real-id/

It does say a birth certificate from PR, but I think there is a mistake on that, some of our members do have Real ID and they were born in the states. Not all had a passport.

It is not a mistake my friend went to dtop.  Drop said the same thing.   Puerto Rico is discriminating against people that weren't born in Puerto rico.  If you have a passport you have no need to get a real Id. My friend is unable to get a passport so its important that he gets a real Id. I already filed a formal complaint with dtop,and with homeland security.  I will also file a lawsuit with the ACLU.

Is a north carolina title and lien still valid in puerto rico if I retitled my car here? - like can the lienholder in nc come and repossess it? - there is a new title number in pr and no lienholder listed ---

So you got a PR title without having the NC title? If you have a lien in NC, I'm assuming you don't have the title, only a registration.

You still owe the balance for the vehicle, and a clerical error does not mean you get the rest of your car for free. Yes, it can be repossessed, and Im sure that will cost a lot.