Documents for Driver's License in 2020

Hi all, I'm new here and had some questions about the docs required to get a PR driver's license. The other posts seem to have outdated info.
1. Proof of residence: I am renting and don't have utility bills or a deed. What else will they accept besides a bank statement? Is cell phone statement ok? Another post said they didn't accept a letter from the landlord. Will they accept a 3-month lease agreement?
2. Birth certificate: Do they accept it from a foreign country? Does it need to be translated? What if I changed my name after becoming a us citizen? Do I need that paper to get the correct name on my ID?
3. Do they accept passport instead of SSN card or birth certificate?
4. Do docs need to be in Spanish or is English ok?
5. I have a motorcycle endorsement from California. Since CA is not a reciprocal state, do I need to take all the tests including the moto driving test all over again? Or just the written portion?

Thanks all in advance!

my suggestion is to drive with your current license.    Here irs a nightmare.  U would get it here 1 month before yours expire or you will have to take the written ans driving test all over again.   You can not get a real ID drivers license if you don't have a passport or a puerto rico birth certificate. 
As for required documents needed, go on the dtop website.   Also now you have to schedule an appointment to take a class about drugs and alcohol before you can get your license.  But due to the virus situation dtop isn't open.

Let me try.
Your passport if up to date is your birth certificate and your SSN
You need also an official driver license record from CA since that is where your license is from.
Your lease paperwork is proof of residency .
You phone or other utility bill along with the lease prove your address.
If not reciprocal, then you will need to take the written test in your choice of Spanish or English.
Motorcycles are different than cars, so not sure if you will need a driving test because it is motorcycle.

No idea what a motorcycle endowment is

You don't need a PR driver license unless you are a resident or your license expired.

Rey for a real id drivers license.  The island mandates a passport or a puerto rico birth  certificate

Thanks a lot. I will be a resident, so I only have 30 days to switch over my license. I have a passport so sounds like I won't need the birth certificate. They will accept a w2 instead of a ssn card but I don't have that. The Real ID page says they will also accept a 'planilla del año en curso'. Is that a PR tax return? Otherwise, I need to change the name on my social security card, which would need to be done in person, and my Spanish isn't so great. Also, I don't know if I'll have a lease signed in 30 days, but here it says they will accept a cell phone and bank statement for proof of residency:
https://www.dtop.pr.gov/real-id/
And here it simply says telephone:
https://www.dtop.pr.gov/formularios-de- … bc4b7-b85e
Anyone have success with just a cell phone bill and bank statement? Thanks again!

Save yourself a headache and wait as long a possible ti get you id here,  its a thw bigg8pain in the ass. Its a whole day or two to have it done.   I lived here more then 3 yrs before I switched over and that's because mine from the states was going to expire

You don't have to change your name, they can not force you. You want your license, social security and other documents the same. You don't have to change, make a stand they will back down, there is no law requiring it.

Hi, Travelmomo, I got the PR driver license but like it was mentioned before,  it is a total nightmare. The best option it is to get a company who help you on that *** who help you to speed up the process with a fee, but still it is a pain.
My States driver license got expired so i have to get a brand-new license, they asked me for passport in my case and SSN. After that they get you an appointment in one cesco in my case was Carolina's cesco, i must present writing test and at the end they gave me the student driver license that is not useful for anything... After you have to schedule the drugs and alcohol course, they have schedule for march 30 but at that moment quarantine started so i have loose that course because everything was closed.
Now with the reopening i have call again and they told me could take until next year because the waiting list are huge, so the best option is to get from another state.

Moderated by Cheryl 3 years ago
Reason : No advertising on the forum please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
travelmomo wrote:

I will be a resident, so I only have 30 days to switch over my license.

Update June 2019: A new requirement is to have a copy of your driving record from the state that issued your driver's license. Most states have this (paid) service available for less than $10, and many states allow you to request (and pay) for this service online.

Bring a printed copy of your state issued driver's record, it cannot be from an agency or other third party. The CESCO requires the printed hard copy, they cannot process the electronic file or email from you.

Read this source:
jentheredonethat[dot]com[slash]drivers-license-puerto-rico

travelmomo wrote:

a 'planilla del año en curso'

the withholding tax form from your job, known as the W-2

travelmomo wrote:

Thanks a lot. I will be a resident, so I only have 30 days to switch over my license. I have a passport so sounds like I won't need the birth certificate. They will accept a w2 instead of a ssn card but I don't have that. The Real ID page says they will also accept a 'planilla del año en curso'. Is that a PR tax return? Otherwise, I need to change the name on my social security card, which would need to be done in person, and my Spanish isn't so great. Also, I don't know if I'll have a lease signed in 30 days, but here it says they will accept a cell phone and bank statement for proof of residency:
https://www.dtop.pr.gov/real-id/
And here it simply says telephone:
https://www.dtop.pr.gov/formularios-de- … bc4b7-b85e
Anyone have success with just a cell phone bill and bank statement? Thanks again!

The source you provided is not for a driver's licence but for a Real ID. There is a difference.
I am writing this for other readers, because I guess you already figured this all out.