Police took our car license plate

We were pulled over for an expired marbete and were issued three tickets all for the same thing that goes along with the marbete.  They also took our liscence plate. They're holding on to the plate  for 3 days then sending it to CESCO so we can pick up there. How are we supposed to drive the car to an inspection area to get it inspected and correct the violations if were not supposed to drive the car? Tow truck?

Where did this happen?  Sounds fishy?  What is the fine?

Never had the experience, sorry. Call the police and see what is up¡

In San Juan. Tickets are $175 total. To renew the marbete is $185. We moved so we didn't get a renewal notice for it, but you need a renewal notice to get the inspection done. We can't change the address because my husband has a state liscence and he refuses to get a PR one. His liscence expires in 2050 I think or something ridiculous like that because it's an AZ one. I asked about driving it to an inspection place and of course, you'll get pulled over arrested and car towed.

Wow...  I will need to get my marbete renewed soon.   Don't want a fat ticket!  I think last year it was about $100.

A parking ticket in my town is $150!  Pretty stiff in my book.

A bit more than 20 years ago, my wife and I honeymooned in Acapulco.  Our first day there, I parked on the street and went into a store to get change for the meter.  While in the store, I got a parking ticket!  GRRRR!  And the cops removed my license plate to guarantee that I would pay the fine.  Maybe the cops in PR have learned from their colleagues in Mexico?

You can drive in Puerto Rico with a state drivers license. I would go to the office and take the ticket with you and if you get stopped just say you are on your way. I got stopped with an expired Marbete and I just told them I didn't know and they gave me a warning. Being with a us drivers license I am surprised they were  so rigid.

I also told them I didn't know, and that we recently moved here.  We purchased the car in September. The officer said she wasn't taking us to court for it. Also, where they had us pulled over, they started checking all the cars passing the lane for an expired marbete, making a checkpoint. They got one more person while we were pulled over.

If there is one thing the Police here do not mess around with it is your Marbete. They will eagle-eye every car passing by at the beginning of the month and snatch you right up. It is not uncommon for them to take your license plate for expired tags. We got pulled over for the same offense but got lucky-ish, I am sure it had something to do with my husband being a puertorriqueño. Regardless, we still got a few fat tickets ourselves. One for the marbete, one for the tinted windows and the other for something I don't recall.

You are not supposed to drive the car until the matter is cleared up. You're going to be a huge target without the license plate. You can either risk finding an understanding officer on the way to CESCO or find other modes of transportation. Personally, I would rent a car.

Clearly, but we need the car inspected at a station to get the marbete. Can't drive the car without plates to get the marbete. Probably can't get plates without marbete.

I hope with the new administration and the fiscal board they get rid of all the redundancies and make it simple like in the states. Won't happen overnight, but hopefully eventually it will.

Sorry, apparently I can't read today, I guess I have a lot on my mind.

Ask in "Rincon Puerto Rico" Facebook group since this is time sensitive. I guarantee there will be someone there who has been in your shoes. Good luck.

Justpeachyy wrote:

Clearly, but we need the car inspected at a station to get the marbete. Can't drive the car without plates to get the marbete. Probably can't get plates without marbete.

I hope with the new administration and the fiscal board they get rid of all the redundancies and make it simple like in the states. Won't happen overnight, but hopefully eventually it will.

Just a thought- when we got my car inspected recently after importing it we went to a PUMA station and seriously- they did not even look at the car! The man just plugged the info from my registration and Colorado driver's license into a computer and printed off an inspection certificate. You might be able to try getting a ride to a station, just taking all your documents (registration, plate #, license...) and see if you can give them the info without the car present?  Good luck, sounds like an awful PITA!

DonnaR, I was actually thinking about that this morning! I'll have to try it today! Thanks!

I was able to find an open place today due to the Holiday. I got my marbete! Now to wait for my plates!

I bet that marbete will never expire on you again

Sorry to hear about your experience! I just got my car here in PR a week ago. From what I've read on the forum here I was under the impression you had to get tags before picking up the car, but I didn't. A lot of my current neighbors still have state tags. One from California, and another from Virginia (who just happened to be from the same area as me, small world!) But I still have my Maryland tags as well, and was considering not changing them to PR. What's the risk involved with that? I don't want to deal with that inspection nonsense and fee every year.

Chrishamrick103,

I honestly have no idea. I think you're supposed to get PR tags within a certain time frame. When we shipped my husbands car I was still in the states for another month after. So he was without the tags for about 30 days. He waited for me to go to CESCO (not everyone speaks English there) and had to pay some fees, oh, and they ask you what the purchase price of the vehicle is, you need the contract if there's a lien holder so they can charge you a tax on that. Our tags were also up that month from California so it had to be current. I wouldn't change it until my state registration is up. But of course, to be safe it should probably be changed to PR before you get a fine and get those plates taken away! Hahah.

If you look at your neighbors' cars and you see a license plate on the front, it is not the official license plate but a 'souvenir'.   It is  fairly common practice.  Puerto Rico license plates are only on the rear of the car.

In Georgia only the rear tag is required. In fact you only get one, so I see a lot of people with the front souvenir tag. In Maryland, it's mandatory to have front and back. But the VA and CA tags I'm talking about are both on the rear. So they're official. The one with Virginia tags told me he's been here 6 months. So he's had his on all that time. The guy from Cali has been here a while too.

Are they military??  When we were stationed there, we were allowed to keep our Alaska tags and drivers licenses. Friends of ours that relocated to PR had to switch both their licenses and vehicle registrations. I believe they had 30 days to do both.

It's possible. I'll have to switch my license due to act 22 anyway. Just didn't want to do the car. Georgia required that yearly thing too. On your birthday at that. What kind if gift is that?! I didn't want to participate. In Maryland we do emissions every two years and tags every 2 years. And its cheaper.

Also if you don't have a passport make sure to get one to fly out. PR IDs don't meet standards to be able to fly with just that.

Yeah, I heard something about that. I heard there is some other license to get but the lines are long. I do have a passport though. Thanks for the heads up on that! I need to find it... got misplaced in the move.

Prior to 2016 that was the case but I was under the impression that the new licenses being issued in 2016 were RealID and acceptable for travel. See articles.

http://prfaa.pr.gov/prfaa-announces-the … erto-rico/http://caribbeanbusiness.com/real-id-dr … presented/

Apparently you have to ask for aq RealID driver license and pay an additional $15 bucks. Otherwise you get the common one. Not all CESCO appear to be able to issue a REALID Driver license, so call before you go.

ReyP wrote:

Prior to 2016 that was the case but I was under the impression that the new licenses being issued in 2016 were RealID and acceptable for travel. See articles.

http://prfaa.pr.gov/prfaa-announces-the … erto-rico/http://caribbeanbusiness.com/real-id-dr … presented/

Apparently you have to ask for aq RealID driver license and pay an additional $15 bucks. Otherwise you get the common one. Not all CESCO appear to be able to issue a REALID Driver license, so call before you go.

We went to the one in Humacao that said they had a machine for RealID and we made sure to check the box for Real ID on the forms we filled out for our licenses... We just paid whatever they told us to pay when we were there. But our licenses say " not for real ID purposes" right on them. Not sure what else to do :) oh well, we have passports.

DonnaR wrote:
ReyP wrote:

We went to the one in Humacao that said they had a machine for RealID and we made sure to check the box for Real ID on the forms we filled out for our licenses... We just paid whatever they told us to pay when we were there. But our licenses say " not for real ID purposes" right on them. Not sure what else to do :) oh well, we have passports.

If you saved your receipt and the receipt says $25 or $30 then they charged you for real ID, the license I believe is 15 and 15 for Real ID. You could go back and get the correct one. Homeland security already has a file on you from the application and the passport so you have nothing to loose.

What is a Marbet? This sounds so complicated and scary!!! We pick up our truck Jan 20 at the port and after that have no clue what the process is... luckily my mother in law speaks Spanish so we shouldn't have too many issues.

bribri1913,

Marbete is a sticker that goes on your windshield. It's your all in one registration tag, insurance and inspection. You pay all at once and it's good for a year to the month. You can get the marbete at an inspection station, usually at a gas station.

Can we get the Marbet done at the port when we pick up our truck?

I honestly don't know. My husband had to pay some fee before he picked up his car at a different place. It was kind of a hassle. He had to do that I think before he went to CESCO for the PR plates.

bribri1913 wrote:

Can we get the Marbet done at the port when we pick up our truck?

Picking up your car and getting it registered and inspected is quite a process. You have to go a couple places to pay fees before you can get your vehicle, and I do not think you can get your inspection and marbete at the port. Several people have written about this process though (which helped me a lot in getting through it!). If you search the forum for "car registration" or "importing a Car" and such you will find at lot of good info that will help you.  Having a Spanish speaker along will be good too :). Just plan to spend at least several hours at the port and driving to the Hacienda building before you actually get to take your car, try to go first thing in the morning to shorten your wait too.  Good luck :)

Chrismarick103,

I shipped my car to PR last February and drove around with Tennessee tags until they were almost expired.  Last week I went to get Puerto Rican tags.  After waiting for about 2 hours, I was told that I needed the original title (not a photocopy).  I finally obtained a duplicate title and went back to try again.  When you go, make sure you have the original title and a copy of the current registration.  You will also need identification and I was required to provide my Tennessee license and a copy of my passport.  They also need the receipt for the taxes you paid when you retrieved your car from the port.  Finally, you need proof of your PR address.  I didn't have much in that regard, but a Directv bill sufficed. You will need to get the car inspected ($11.00).  Keep the receipt because you will need to produce it unless you can buy the marbete from the inspection station.  Unfortunately, the station I went to couldn't sell them, so I had to go back to the collection station to pay.  Good luck!

I was pulled over once with Tennessee tags (for using my cell phone).  The officer did not mention the tags.  Whew!

Finally got our plates. Had to pay for new ones $10 since ours were sent to Guaynabo and they decommission them once they get there. Also if you pay your tickets within 30 days you get a discount. 👍

OK... So this thing about the drivers license and saying "not for real ID purposes" is confusing..

That's what my license says too.. I got it a week after the new license style was available..

I've flown several times with it and never had a problem or even anyone say anything..

Oh well...

JohnnyNight wrote:

OK... So this thing about the drivers license and saying "not for real ID purposes" is confusing..

That's what my license says too.. I got it a week after the new license style was available..

I've flown several times with it and never had a problem or even anyone say anything..

Oh well...

After October, you won't be able to use the PR drivers license for traveling unless you update it. Another way to get more money out of you! If you have a passport, you can use it for traveling and don't have to go back and update the license.

Ok.. Thanks

I do have a passport and a passport card so guess I'll be all right..

You need to have it towed to an inspection station, they will inspect the car if you have all of your paperwork and issue a MArbete.  Make sure they can do both and that they have a safe parking so you can leave your car for a few hours if not over night. Second option is to take a chance and drive it to the nearest inspection station.  If you did not receive the paper work from DTOP then you have to go in person with proof of ownership and see if they will issue the renewal document.  You can also try the internet to see if you can download and print the copy without taking the trip. Good luck.   There is also a temporay marbete which can be issued in order for you to drive the car to and from the inspection site and the police station. I do not know the procedure but it does exist.

My truck was at a shop in aguada having engine work done...9 months later after taking him to daco he was trying to extort additional money from me before releasing the vehicle. Daco awarded me my truck so the day i pick it up from the mechanic he was mad and had a cop friend of his stop me of course my Marbete had expired .I explained I wasn't familiar with the area and was looking for a inspection station .he proceeds to give me a $700 ticket. I ask if he knew of a inspection station in the area and he takes to it.So I ask cam he remove the tickets he says no. I appeal the ticket and months later receive a call from the cop on a Friday telling my court date is next Monday.I go to court the judge dismisses the tickets.I ask for some form of document that the case was dismissed and they tell me they dont do that.I had a bad feeling this was going to come back and bite me.Sure enough last week I receive a letter to appear again .I call the court clerk she explains the ticket was dismissed....not the fine amount of $700.WOW really....kangaroo court. How does that make any sense.So I have to appear next week.I called the cop and he says oh yeah that was dismissed and he said he would not be appearing for that hearing and recommended that i don't appear as well. Uggggghhh....yeah right.about the time i dont appear is when they might issue a warrant.The laws and the p.r.judicial system are 3rd world.It's very very easy to end up in jail here.

I hear you.  Excellent info for new expats. Do not let marbete expire. It pays your car insurance.  Friend of mine got plate taken, towed $3300 fine and unbelievable hassle.

I did some math. Way too many cars vs. Inspection stations, even if you can find one open. Better to bribe them.  $100.

Good luck converting your drivers license. I tried for 6 months of waiting in lines, and constantly turned away time again.. for things like social security card need full middle name, not initial. Your lic picture doesn't look like you.
Sh** like that. I finally just gave up and drove and lived  on my passport, and if needed, just lie about PR residency, say I'm from Washington DC

@Sitka That's how it works here in Puerto Rico.