Registering my car in Puerto Rico

Hi, I've just moved here to Luquillo and I shipped my financed car out here. Is the registration process different here in PR for a financed car vs when you own the car? I do not have the title, I'm still making payments...

You will need a letter from the bank indicating  they authorize you to bring the car.  This replaces the title. You also need all your Hacienda paperwork. Be prepared to waste 2-3 days with the convoluted process.

Thanks! It took me exactly 2 days lol, it was a 4 step process for me but it's done now.

I too am in the same boat.
They took the extraordinarily high import tax on the car but not the paperwork, the report of title. Or the notice that my car, with a lien,  is acknowledged by the bank to be shipped here.  What is needed specifically??   
Thanks
Sunni

This is an old thread and things have changed. I don't know much about bringing a financed car, other than you need a letter from the lender.

To register the car you will need to get it out of the Crowley lot at the port. Check in With Crowley security, go inside get paperwork, go outside to the cashier and pay the Crowley fee, then back to the parking lot and pay the suri tax. There are two trailers, you can use either service. Then back to the Crowley office and hopefully out to the car. And they are closed for lunch from 11 to noon.

You will need to make an appointment with the PR DMV. Google a website cescocitas then select the Tramites especial, box. I don't read Spanish so I copied and pasted in a translator, look to make an appointment to register your car. It takes about 10 days, at least when I did it in May. So make the appointment before the car is shipped.

Btw, this is not an appointment for a drivers license, that is a separate appointment, and the wait was 2 months this past summer.

Once the car is registered, you will need a Marbetta, inspection. Bring the car to an inspection station, they are all over, it's $11. They will give you paperwork. Bring this to a bank or Collecteria, you can pay a $99 additional fee for the PR minimum required liability policy.

Yes $99 but it's only a small liability policy, or you can get a private policy from a company like Mapfree for about $1,000 for real liability, collision…. If you bring proof of this private policy they will wave the $99 fee.

Put the Marbetta on the lower right side of the windshield. Now you are done.

Thank you  William!

This might be help full: https://youtu.be/Lpmzf9FNDaM

I have no connection to this person other then subscribing to the channel on YouTube.

Here is another one different person. https://youtu.be/y7iiF08XJAs

This is exactly how the process goes. Best explanation to date. I wish the employees at these agencies would be as straightforward with information.

Preparation is key.

You are welcome… one more thing. Payment at CESCO is by “Stamps” you can buy these through the appointment website, or at the lawyers/doctors office usually within a minute walk of the CESCO doors.

Again the appoint site ,cescocitas, will ask if you want to buy them. Do it
! 😁

Hi verybody
There is a tip to get quicker apointment for Cesco.
You can choose another town,it 's work very well.
For example to change my driver license (before 120 days after arrival),I went to Utuado,got apointment 1 week later(in San Juan it was 2 monthes)

Sorry for my english,I am a French guy but from my country there is no body in the forum,so I crossed to the U.S. Side.
I speak Spanish fluently ,so if some time I can help,with pleasure,inbox