American Desiring Permanent Residency

Hey all. So I have looked at the prerequisites for achieving permanent residency and I am pretty sure I have them all met. I am self employed(online poker player), have money in the bank, have a clean record, good credit score, and will be renting an apartment. First question is that good enough? The lawyers I have talked to said it is but they are also trying to charge me 3500 euros so I am skeptical. Secondly, is there any way to do this and not to pay some lawyer 3500 euros??!?! Seems outrageous to charge that much but I have never done this before. I really appreciate the responses people. Thanks alot.

Alex

Hi Alex,

The Permanent Residency Scheme has been suspended since December 2010. If the lawyer you talked to was really referring to 'Permanent' residency then I would say he doesn't know what he is talking about.Until the scheme is re-introduced with new conditions you will have to look at other options.

What you will need at the moment is Ordinary Residency as you have to have lived in Malta for 5 years to qualify for Permanent Residency.

I think you will be applying as economically self-sufficient although the fact that you will be working in Malta ( from your own desk at home working online) is technically working in Malta even if your income is probably generated outside of Malta.

My wife is American and was told 2 years ago that third country nationals cannot be self-employed. Please keep me informed if they have changed their rules and let you apply as self-employed which happens all the time in Malta.

Check out the details and requirements here:

http://www.foreign.gov.mt/Library/Cit/CEA8-URP.pdf

Your case is a difficult one and could be difficult to do it on your own.

I would recommend legal advice. The amount quoted is probably a basic fee and you might have to pay more on success if they get you the residency.

Regards
Ricky

I am american and living in Malta...  listen to ricky on this one... also a lawyer should cost you no more than a grand in my experience...

what is the name of the lawyers you are using? did they provide you with a breakdown of this fee?

http://www.cc-advocates.com/

And no they did not provide me a breakdown. I will ask though.

Hi,

Well, Chetcuti Cauchi obviously didn't think it necessary to inform their potential clients that the Permanent Residence Scheme that they are advertising even today ( 30th April 2011) was suspended in December 2010. Their own section ' latest news in Malta ' doesn't say a word about it! Hmmmm ...............

I would expect more from legal professionals asking for 3500 euros.

You can do it yourself as we did but you need to know the regulations and requirements very well.

Regards
Ricky

Agreed

If you need any assistance do not hesitate to contact me.

Charles Cassano - Euromed.

I, and several other members, can recommend John Huber (an accountant based in Malta) through personal experience, who will charge far less than € 3,500 to apply for permanent residency - John is as the forefront of the discussions with the govt on amending the scheme, and so is as well placed as anyone in knowing what is happening.

Thanks alot! Just sent him a message.

I would agree its about 800-1000 Euros, if you're buying it from the lawyers . I you do it yourself its free.
Remember its issued through the Expatriate visa section, you're not dealing with ETC where the real issues are.
Expatriate visa is manageable if you're contemplating going it alone.