What documents are needed if two foreigners want to get married in UK

Hi, i am a Chinese and my boyfriend is a Hungarian, we want to get married in UK and stay there. Because he has a stable job in UK and also we think it is easier to get married in UK than Hungary. My boyfriend will apply for British citizenship next month ( can get British citizenship in few months) We wonder what kind of documents are needed to get married in UK and what kind of visa I can apply after marriage?  :unsure

I'm doing this from memory.

Don't know about your visa exactly.  I believe you need a marriage visa and your BF has to be earning over a certain amount (might be 18K GBP?) so it can be shown he can support you. 

This is a real problem as the UK government are horrible about it and will want to interview you both to see you are a real couple.   They will ask you stupid questions like what's his favourite colour and do you like dogs.   The reason for all this is to stop people using marriage as a back door to UK residence. 

As far as getting married is concerned, you need (it's been a while) to be in the country 3 weeks after the time you told the registrar (in the town where) you wanted to get married.  That gives them time to put the notices ("the banns") on the noticeboard at the registry office.  So you'd have to stay there but they don't check very hard you stayed.

You will need your ID documents, proof of an address (if possible - same one as your BF) and possibly if you were married before, divorce papers and a quite possibly a "certificate of no impediment" from your embassy (meaning you are not still married to someone back at the motherland). 

It's a lot easier to get married once over the visa thing than in Hungary so you will find it easier there.

Congratulations!

Thanks for your answer, but do you know what kind of visa i need to apply for to go to England? i know some my Japanese friends also did marriage in UK, but when they went to England for marriage they did not need visa to go England, while, I am Chinese, I definitely need a visa for that. I am wondering which kind of visa I should apply for? travel visa?

sophie921 wrote:

I am wondering which kind of visa I should apply for?

The only way you will get fully accurate, up to date, and complete answers will be when you and your fiancée contact your nearest UK Embassy or consulate and ask this question.

actually we've already asked Hungary embassy in UK and UK embassy in Hungary, but they said it is very specific question, they are not allowed to tell us. They gave us some links and email address where we can get some answer, while, all these turned out quite helpless... Anyway, thank you for your time!We really appreciate your help!

Then contact the UK Visas and Immigration office:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat … mmigration

sophie921 I've noticed you have asked the very same question in the England Forum. Can you please stick to just one Forum as you might get different answers. Copy and Paste are also not allowed.

In your case, as you are getting married in the UK, I would stick to the England Forum. Cynic one of the England Experts will give you a firmer answer as he has experience with Visas.

Thank you for your understanding.

ohh, thank you very much, it is very kind of you!!

sophie921 wrote:

ohh, thank you very much, it is very kind of you!!

I did say you needed a marriage visa as far as I know.  You need to click on the words "marriage visa" in my original reply as it's a link.  Did you click on it?

If you have money, you should consult a UK immigration lawyer and then it will be sorted out.

The British are not being nice on immigration.  Mrs Fluffy's cousin applied to be a British citizen after being there 8 years and was rejected. So she said she'd just forget it and immediately left for the USA.

Good luck!

As the topic is referring to marriage in the UK please see the following link. > https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=783669

I have requested that the Admin team close this thread.

So until they do could you post on the above link.

Closed