Current visas, Business laws etc!

Dear forum members,

If you could be so kind and get me up to date with life in Cambodia and work permits etc.

We are considering moving to Phnom Penh before Xmas. To set up a business and lifestyle change.

I did start a thread regarding this quite a long time ago. But can't locate it.

We plan to open a UK Chinese restaurant in Phnom Penh. After years of doing this in Thailand which was a very successful enterprise but plagued by the Thai work ethic. Or lack of it! Plus the work permit situation etc.

What are the current visa laws. Is there a work permit required along with a business visa?

How easy is it to import goods from the UK. Are there ex-pat importers in Phnom Penh we could order through?

How much would rent run for a single unit shop house in the City?

Are there food delivery companies out there. How they do in Thailand?

Thanks..

Hi,
When you arrive get a business visa valid for 1 month and then you can extend it for 3,6, 12 months, a year costs approx $300.

If you set up a restaurant, you will have to get a business licence from the ministry of commerce, easily done and also a licence from the ministry of tourism. You will need to register for Patent Tax and VAT.

There are foreign and Cambodian importers of foreign goods.

Rent a premise/shophouse varies location to location, typically rents along the riverside are upwards of $3,500 pm, coming in they can be a round $2,500 upwards.

I currently have 2 restaurants both for $35k by taking over the existing lease. I am not allowed to say more but you can contact me through the business directory section on this Website under SEAPS.

I trust this is of help
Naim

Hello.

A lot of questions, at least covering a lot of subjects.

In short:

Visa: you come in on a Ordinary [E] visa, valid for 30 days. You apply for a EG [general] extension for 6 months, multiple entry. This extension of stay is for people either searching for a job or people wanting to start their own business. In the 6 months you can register your business, get a tax registration.

As soon as all paperwork for the business is done, you change your extension to a EB [business], for one year each time. For that extension you need to provide your business registration.

You also have to apply for a work permit but you can do that yourself on line.
Work permits are separated from extension, as they involve different ministries.

For more info have a look at the facebook group Cambodia visas and work permits, here the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/333901840112789/

There are food delivery businesses here in Phnom Penh, I also know of one in Sihanoukville.

UK importers, I guess you better have a look inside the UK for exporters to Cambodia.

Shophouse rent is of course depending on city, location, size and more.

It might be a good idea [or maybe you plan that already] to come over and have a look yourself, choose a place where you want to set up business, in what location, talk to real estate agents, UK businesses and so on.

For more general info re Cambodia have a look at: http://www.movetocambodia.com/

Hope this helps, for a start.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hi fellows,

thanks for the replies so far.

Joe, interesting about the work permit. A long time ago I did have the Cambodia business visa. If I remember right I got 1 month at the border, then extended it for a year! But I'm assuming things have changed and I will read up once I get the chance.

I understand that the rental depends on location etc was just trying to get a ballpark figure for Phnom Penh.

Importing foodstuffs like jars and powdered goods would be essential for us to completely replicate the UK Chinese experience. My Wife is a fully experienced Chinese takeaway/restaurant chef. Currently cooking in one of the best Chinese restaurants in the UK. We would need to buy from their suppliers, Seewoo, Matthew etc. I doubt they ship to Cambodia.

In Thailand the farang importers have people buying for them in the UK and shipping. I thought maybe something similar in Cambodia? 

Thanks...