Retirement Visa

Hi can anyone give me up to date information on the Retirement Visa. I am 68 years young and live in Vietnam on a 1 year Business Visa at present but looking to relocate to Sihanoukville ??Regards Barrie

Hi,
Yes you can get a retirement visa as long as you can show that you have income. There is one thing you should consider, the retirement visa does not allow you to buy a property, therefore, if you are happy renting for the rest of your years, then no problem.

If you want to buy, I suggest you come for a visit, buy a property, it will have to be a condo, that is what Foreigners can legally own and get the title deed in your name and thereafter, apply for a retirement visa.

Have you been to Sihanoukville recently? If you haven't, the place has changed dramatically with numerous property developments taking place, also the dominant tourists are Chinese, the restaurants, shops etc, cater for Chinese.

On top of this rental prices have increased dramatically and there are numerous stories of people both foreign and local being ousted out as the Chinese will pay substantially more.

I suggest you do some research and then decide if it is right for you.

Hi thanks for your prompt reply very helpful .Looking at Cambodia as Vietnam has changed their Business Visa LAWS!!! I have got till Feb 2019 before my visa runs out so will do some research in the mean time ???,could you give me any information on nice places for Australians
to live ( shops ,supermarkets etc ) and a good VISA AGENT would be helpful .Also do you know the financial requirments for the Retirement visa Thank You again Regards Barrie

Hi, I suggest you contact ***They have dome my visa for many years and they will have the info you require on retirement visas.

I am based in Phnom Penh, so I am not the best person to advise on places to live in Sihanoukville. I suggest you go see and decide, Kampot is a place were many expats who were in Sihanoukville are or have moved to.

****Best of luck.

Moderated by Christine 7 months ago
Reason : Please share the contact details privately and note that promoting your services is not allowed. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Barrie.

Very simple. You come in on an Ordinary visa and a week or two later you can extend for a retirement extension of stay. Use a reliable agent .
Retirement extension can be for up to one year and be extended as long as you're around.

You need no proof, just your passport and the money, about $290 for one year.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

naimkhanturk :

Hi,
Yes you can get a retirement visa as long as you can show that you have income. There is one thing you should consider, the retirement visa does not allow you to buy a property, therefore, if you are happy renting for the rest of your years, then no problem.

If you want to buy, I suggest you come for a visit, buy a property, it will have to be a condo, that is what Foreigners can legally own and get the title deed in your name and thereafter, apply for a retirement visa.

Have you been to Sihanoukville recently? If you haven't, the place has changed dramatically with numerous property developments taking place, also the dominant tourists are Chinese, the restaurants, shops etc, cater for Chinese.

On top of this rental prices have increased dramatically and there are numerous stories of people both foreign and local being ousted out as the Chinese will pay substantially more.

I suggest you do some research and then decide if it is right for you.

Not correct for the visa extension.
As he is over 55 years old no proof of retirement status or income is required.
The only thing he needs is his passport and about $290 for a one year extension.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

ozbaz :

Hi thanks for your prompt reply very helpful .Looking at Cambodia as Vietnam has changed their Business Visa LAWS!!! I have got till Feb 2019 before my visa runs out so will do some research in the mean time ???,could you give me any information on nice places for Australians
to live ( shops ,supermarkets etc ) and a good VISA AGENT would be helpful .Also do you know the financial requirments for the Retirement visa Thank You again Regards Barrie

Hi Barrie.

Phnom Penh has everything you need, be it shopping malls, medical services, train/flight connections and more. It's a big city and everything is there.

Siem reap and Sihanoukville are much smaller but have their own charm, the latter for being a seaside resort, but unfortunately in a development phase with loads of construction sites and the building traffic causes much sand and dust plus damages the already not so smooth roads.

Hope this helps a bit.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Jo exactly right no proof of income nothing but 275$ I just got one multiple entry for a year , I’m 61, look I like jo he’s actually a friend , but  that said , he really knows what’s up and what’s not, everything he’s told me has been spot on, I had heard you do need proof of income, I asked jo last February, he told me they didn’t know what they were talking about, of course he was right, I just went to a travel spot three days later a retirement visa easy. I have lived here fours years now in pp, if you need correct information ask jo, everybody else including myself are not nearly as knowledgeable as jo, he’s a great resource here, use him he’s free, ha

Dear Joe,

Thank you for your kind advice regarding the requirement for the  Cambodian Retirement Visa.
The condition looks quite relaxed compared to other SEA nations.
By the way,  is the requirement for the Cambodian Retirement Visa still the same as 2018?
I saw some other site that covers the Cambodian Visa issues in 2019.
https://www.movetocambodia.com/planning … dia-visas/

And the above web says that:
It is currently necessary to prove the retirement status of the applicant.
By producing  such as government-issued Pension or Social Security papers.
If it is really like that, I might find it difficult to get Cambodian one.
I have been a self-funded retiree under pension age.
And I have no social security related documentation with me.

Your additional advice for the year 2019 will be greatly appreciated.

Yours sincerely,    J.M.

I got the retirement extension of stay in October of 2018 for a year with multiple entries. I paid $290 to a reputable agent (thanks Joe!) in Phnom Penh and did not show any proofs of retirement like wages or savings or proof age beyond what is in the passport. It took about 9 days due to holidays to get the passport back with the extension of stay. I should mention I was 65 years young then :-)

Hope this helps.

I just got my 2019 one year multiple entry , no proof of anything but 285$ took me also about 10 days , easy no proof needed

Hello, mpmilestogo,

I have just read your reply in response to my query posted yesterday.
I trully appreciate your up-to-date advice based upon your recent expereince.
Looks like the requirement for the Cambodian RV has not any changed since its introduction.
It is a good news to me.
I thank you again for your kind speedy advice.
I wish you all the best for you.

Yours faithfully,    J.M.

Hello, Twinsguy20,

Thank you for your practical advice on the current Cambodian RV requirement.
It is great to know that only my age(over 55) and current passport needed to qualify.
In which  part of Cambodia are you currently residing?
Would you mind telling me the reliable agent in your area if possible?

I thank you again for your useful  information.

Yours faithfully,  J.M.

Did you use an agent where did you apply

Hello, Salavan,

Not yet.
I am currently planning to move to Cambodia from Thailand.
Since Thailand looks like gradually tightening the conditions  for their retirement visa.
So that I am now trying to collect valid information from the people who are already in Cambodia.
Reasonably well study the destination before make a move.
That is my policy.

Cheers,   J.M.

I'm also living in thailand and making plans just incase things detiriate any more need an excape route just incase

Jo will be the best advice on cambodia

Pm  me I will give you my agents number , he’s connected as they say

Hello, Salavan,

It is always good to ready the back up plan as the emergency exit.

Hopefully, keep in touch.

And   exchange information each other  where possible.

Have a nice day,   J.M.

Thanks hack can pm me if you want