Return ticket necessary for Normal Visa?

We're looking to purchase our airfare into Cambodia for September soon. Many of the fares expire at either 6 months or a year. Since we're planning to extend, stay, get employment, etc, is there a way to enter the country without proof of planned exit? Does it have to be airfare? I've tried to look to find where this has been answered elsewhere, so I do apologize if I'm re-asking an old question.

Cheers!
I entered on a one-way fare in 2020, I doubt if it has changed since then. Immigration was more concerned about the Covid test docs etc.

It is usually the airlines' policy rather than the border people at the airport.
@nicdavidson

It was never an issue at immigration but sometimes airlines demand it.

Most airlines let you sign a waiver that they are not responsible for bringing you back in case you are not allowed to enter the country.

Just to be sure you could get a cheap ticket that you can cancel once you are in country.

Cheers.

Joe
You can also get a "best onward ticket" from a company that sells them at a fraction of the cost of even a cheap ticket. They are real tickets and sold just for this purpose.
AS stated above already, there is no problem with having a one way ticket upon entry as far as the Border authorities are concerned.. it is the airlines who profer this concern. I live in Cambodia and go back to the UK each year I usually fly return from Cambodia - UK so my trip back to Cambodia has no return (to UK) The Khmer border staff have never questioned this (as long as you have or dont require a visa) Indeed my last return trip in December possed a problem with my Covid test leading to my having to be retested at Heathrow and missing my return flight. I had to purchase another ticket (UK-Cambodia) so I came back on a one way ticket and this possed no problem with the Khmer border staff.