Successes in your career in Tunisia

Hello,

Becoming an expat means starting over in a new country, and a lot of times that also means starting over in your career as well.

How have your skills and experiences evolved since moving to Tunisia?

What does being successful in your career mean to you?

Can you share some tips about what to do and what to avoid in order to advance in your professional career in Tunisia?

Can you share an inspirational career story with us?

Did you have to change careers or adapt your career to fit the job demands in Tunisia?

How do you balance a successful career with your personal and social life?

What are the benefits of having work experience in different countries?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Hello,

I haven't moved yet to Tunisia but I'm planning to in a few months and I'm currently in the process of sending out CV's and motivation letters so this topic definitely interests me.
What does being successful in your career mean to you?
A career in which I am first and foremost happy. A career in which I can make others happy and give fulfillment in their lives. I do not work for only myself, but for a greater good, a better society, sharing knowledge and "good vibes" to others. I am looking for a job with decent pay though, as I need to make a living, just live everybody else! :)

Can you share some tips about what to do and what to avoid in order to advance in your professional career in Tunisia?
I would say, definitely do not trust everyone. Searching for a job through the internet in Tunisia can be fatiguing and as everything is so new, it can be confusing as well. Do not trust anyone you speak to that offers you a job, especially as a (single) woman. I have had people send messages to me saying I could definitely become a teacher in their school but then the next question would be if I am married, because he prefers non-married girls. Well, I finished that conversation as quick as possible and looked for other opportunities! You also do not need to be afraid to contact people multiple times as the way of getting a job is a bit different in Tunisia. Find a good balance in contacting enough, not too little, not too much. They'll reach out to you. Be professional in conversation. It is definitely a plus if you know people in Tunisia already that you trust and that you can count on that could help you out in finding a job.

Did you have to change careers or adapt your career to fit the job demands in Tunisia?
Yes! I am a sociology graduate but as I am going to move to Kelibia chances are, I cannot do anything with that degree in that beautiful city. All jobs that could be interesting to a sociologist are in Tunis and I am definitely not planning to work in Tunis, only as say, a parttime job and as a plan B (or C, or D ;) ).  I am now counting on my fluency in English to become a teacher or "formateur" in a "centre de formation". I also could teach art to children as I have a extracurricular certification for arts. My ultimate dream is to open an art school for children in Kelibia.

I hope I have helped anyone or spiked interest in anyone to ask me more questions, I am happy to help.