Shipping Companies (UK to KL)

Hello

I'm due to arrive in KL on 1st June as an expat. So, I would appreciate your help regarding shipping - your recommendations for companies and also other general tips / pitfalls you've faced.

I need door to door shipping from London, UK to a high-rise condo in Kuala Lumpur. My possessions are already packed in 20 boxes, all second hand items.

Would you be able to help by:
- Providing the names of some firms that you might recommend to provide a service
- How long sea shipping usually takes from UK to KL (measured door to door)
- Afrer contacting a couple of firms, I think the price will be around £1,250 - do you think this is too low/high?
- Any other tips you have or things to look out for.

I look forward to your advice as this is the first time I've ever shipped items before. Thanks for any responses.

Rhinola

Hello, we moved from Cambridge, UK to Petaling Jaya last year. Our relocation company was CROWN.  They were brilliant from start until our our shipment got here to our high rise condominium.   In our case, they packed/unpacked everything for us.  We were very pleased with their service and would highly recommend.  There was a delay of about a week but we were informed about that while we were in the UK, so we planned accordingly.
Hope this helps . . .

Oh door to door . . . August 5th - 20th September. 
Their packers were very efficient both in the UK and Malaysia.
I can't remember the cost of the service but can ask my husband and get back to you.
Ours was one full container.

We chose not to insure our belongings.  One of the legs of our living room sofa was broken but they managed to fix it without a fuss; Other than that nothing was broken.  A picture frame got damaged but that was due to the humidity in the container, it wasn't valuable, so wasn't a big deal.

I used Pickfords to ship a few boxes of personal belongings to KL door to door service. The cost is all based on the total volume of the boxes, not the number of boxes so if I were you I would measure the boxes and calculate the volume yourself since freight forwarders often overcharge and over estimate the volume of your boxes. They will usually send someone around to estimate the volume so if you know it in advance and have measured it yourself it is better.

Make sure to get insurance. I had one item damaged and they reimbursed by fully on the value that I had declared back in the UK. I assume you've already made a detailed list of the items in the boxes along with insured values for anything of value. I shipped guitars, Persian & Afghan rugs, decorative items, books, paintings and things like that.

Get at least three quotations before deciding. Crown are also a good company but for me Pickfords were the cheapest.

I would recommend NB movers, their manpower are all super friendly and easy to communicated.

They have all the necessary services for moving, wrapping, box packing etc. You should really try them.

I'll list down their contact number below

011 2626 0990

Movecorp do shared containers. Gathering a full load can mean some short delays though

Thanks for all your replies. There seem to be 2 tiers of prices for sea shipping for my 18 boxes, including insurance:

1) Around £750 - Pearson, Anglo Pacific and Movecorp

2) £1,200+ - Crown and Pickford

I'm inclined to go for the £750 prices firms. Does anybody have any horror stories to tell about these companies? (e.g. Boxes damaged or going missing / hidden costs emerging)?

Also, each company is putting a range on time with the top end being 12 weeks door-to-door. I'm inclined to take 12 weeks as the estimate, but do people know about firms taking a lot less or more time than this?

Rhinola

Movecorp used Subalipac as their receiveing agent. They are a top provider and absolutely no problems https://www.subalipack.com

Movecorp seem very professional in their responses, but so do all the other firms. Their ratings on Google are very mixed - 3.2 overall with a pretty even mix of 1-star and 5-star ratings....!

Is your response based on a range of UK to Malaysia shipments or on your one-time shipment?

Interestingly, I've found a removal company repair site: www.removalreviews.co.uk

They have the following ratings out of 5 for the companies based from customer feedback:

Pearson - 4
Movecorp - 3
Anglo Pacific - 2
Crown (not rated)
Pickfords - 2

Obviously these ratings are dominated by UK / European removals... Does anyone have any broad Malaysian specific knowledge on the better firms (or should I just choose Pearsons based on the above)?

The only interesting factor is the receiving agent. Making sure they are not going to charge any extras. Movecorp was 100% on this.