Moving to Malaysia - what to ship??

Hi there
We're moving to KL in a couple of months from Sydney, and have a very modest shipping allowance. We will probably rent a furnished place when we arrive.

What are the must-bring things, even if you rent a furnished place?

Should we bring our TV, computer, quality cooking stuff? Or are they all pretty cheap to buy in KL?

I have been told to bring sheets, as the ones available arent that great, but any other tips would be great.

Thank you

Shopping for household goods is very expensive in Malaysia, although there are good sale reductions a lot of the time.  Australians are the first to complain about the high prices.

Thanks for your reply Gravitas.

So which household goods would you expect to have supplied when renting fully furnished, and what would you expect to have to buy?

I can assure you not all Australians are the same.. and not all complain...perhaps it's our English heritage?! ;)

Its the price of televisions that seem to get the most complaints.... Equipment will vary. You may get a flat with old stuff or it may be possible to get the owner to provide new stuff at the beginning of a lease period. I think lots of people just buy/bring their own stuff and put that provided in a cupboard and forget it.  There is no rule for what is supplied. It varies wildly. One point I would suggest you check out is whether it is permitted to import electrical equipment into Malaysia. I seem to recall reading that it not permitted because of safety reasons?  Professional movers should be able to clarify. Australian TVs wont work here I don't think?  I took one from the UK to Australia and it had to have all sorts of modifications.  I think the standard in Malaysia is the same as the UK - another thing to check out I am afraid....

You will probably get a washing machine but unlikely a drier. There will possibly be a coffee machine and kettle and toaster. A fridge of some description will be available. That is about all. However, when I moved into my flat it was lock-stock-and-barrel right down to teaspoons and pictures on the wall.... quite rare.

Cool, thanks Gravitas.

Lots of things you can buy (though sometimes more expensive then expected) but also you can do without. However, personal items you cannot replace. I found that the personal things, like paintings, photographs, little nicknacks you are attached to or the tableware etc that you love so much, are irreplacale and make you feel at home. So I would make sure you bring some of these items.

For me I really miss certain over the counter medication and other items I cannot get here. I had not expected this to happen. I suffer from headaches and I used to buy a cheap combination painkiller that really helped me out. However, this particular painkiller is not available here and normal paracetamol is extremely expensive (at least compared to Dutch prices). Wish I would have put a year supply in the container. Same for valerian root, that helps me sleep better at times, I cannot find it anywhere here. If I had known, I would have reserached things like that better and stocked up on those.

Good luck with moving and hope you have a great time here in Malaysia!

There are some very good and inexpensive local medicaments but the doses are huge.  Normally 350g-500mg which would is only available by prescription in most European countries.  Then there is Tiger Balm - for aches of any kind, including headaches.

Sheets and bedding are rather expensive here and the sets contain a fitted bottom sheet, 2 pillow cases and a quilt cover.  I personally have absolutely no use for a set like that as I don't use air-con and actually want a matching flat sheet as a light but sufficient cover.  So bed linens could be very good.  The bed sizes here are Queen - 5ft and King.

Swimwear.  Bring plenty if you like to swim as the choices and sizes here are not very successful.

Hi,

It would be my suggestion that you bring only those things that are special to you.  The cooking things if they are expensive and you feel you cant do without definitely.

Buying electrical items here like a TV etc is cheaper than in Australia and you will have the latest and greatest. If you bring from Australia something as simple as a power plug will mean you will need an adaptor for each item.

Probably your linen is a good idea to bring as it can be expensive here and not as nice as what you can get back home.  Depends of course on the size of the bed you end up by having in the apartment or house you rent.

Crockery and Cutlery is easy to find and not expensive compared to home.

Its a new adventure and a new challenge, why not (if you can afford it) start new .

How exciting!!!

Hi @Bindii01, the family lived in Brissy for 4 years before relocating to Singapore/Malaysia. Mom and sis can't stop talking about: tableware, bed linens, macadamia and ice cream :D

As for TV, if you intend to bring one from Sydney - it worked fine in Malaysia/Singapore. I don't think there are restrictions on bringing in common electrical appliances (for personal use). But like @Gravitas mentioned earlier, best to check with the movers.

Hey there, welcome to Malaysia.

Are you going to be sending your kids to the Australian International School? If so, maybe you can consider renting a place in Bluconstellation. I have a new unit of 3 storey terrace house (2800 sqft built up) located within walking distance to the Australian International School that i am looking to rent out. Am looking to rent it out partially furnished (i.e. kitchen cabinets, hood hob oven, room built in cabinets, etc etc). The development is called Bluconstellation and it is a gated and guarded community, with clubhouse facilities (comes with a pool and play area).

It's also pretty close to Alice Smith International School as well if you are looking to send your kids there.

Do let me know if you are interested or know any friends who are also moving and could be interested. thanks!!!

Thanks, I found this thread quite helpful as I'm moving from Sydney to KL next month.
Cheers,
Hana