Planning to Move to KL

Hi all,

I'm new to this but found this website very helpful.
I am a Canadian who married a Malaysian-Chinese who is originally from KL. We've been married for almost 5 years now and she is currently a Permanent Resident of Canada living with me in Vancouver and just recently applied for Canadian citizenship early this year. The problem I have is that she wants to move back to KL since all her family is there. I have no problem with that as I've been there every year for Chinese New Year holiday and love her family but I don't know what the best way to do it is. I am a senior web developer with 8 years experience in my field. We are currently saving money in hopes of eventually migrating to KL. Hopefully the salary I earn there will be enough for us to live comfortably.

Like I mentioned, I'm not sure what the best way to accomplish this is.
Since she is currently a Malaysian, would it be better if we try to migrate there now? I am a Canadian so I assume I'll need to get a company to sponsor me so I can get a working visa to stay there.

On the other hand, I wanted my wife to get her Canadian citizenship so in the case that things don't work out in KL then she can always come back to Canada with me. Currently she is just a permanent resident so once that expires in a year, she won't be able to come back unless we go through the long process of getting another visa and obviously we don't want to be apart. Also we can maybe try Singapore if things don't work out.

Assuming everything goes well we plan to buy a condo in KL for permanent living. Since she is currently still a Malaysian would it be easier to buy one now? The problem is that I'm the primary income earner so I'm not sure how the mortgage works and if she can get approved there. Once she becomes a Canadian I'm not sure if it'll be more difficult to buy property in KL. What happens if we purchase property now, while she's still a Malaysian but then she becomes Canadian end of next year? Would the mortgage terms change?

So now that I've explained my situation and goal of living in KL with my wife, what is the best way to make it happen? What do you think the timeline would be (finding a job, getting visas, moving there)?
And should we act now while she's still a Malaysian or would it be ok after she becomes Canadian? Any help is appreciated.
I want to start planning now so there's no sudden problems or anything hindering us from reaching our goal.

Thanks!

if you as a canadian will buy the property, you will fall to the category of - foreigner, to start, they're rolling out their second increase in what is essentially a foreign ownership restriction on Malaysian property. Starting in 2014, foreigners will be required to buy property valued at 1 million Malaysian ringgit and up (US$311,000). That means no cheap real estate purchases if you want to live in Kuala Lumpur or anywhere else in Malaysia. If you did decide to fix and flip a large unit, or even to have a short hold time on a rental property, you'd be subject to a new capital gains tax on foreigners. Rates for the first five years are 30%, whereas rates thereafter will be 5%. Malaysian corporations will be taxed at the same rates. Deductions will be allowed, including agency fees, renovations, and stamp duties.
But only Malaysian citizens will get lower rates.That means having a Malaysian spouse or business partner will come quite in handy if you want access to cheaper properties you want to sell in a short period of time.These changes come as the government tries to respond to lower- and lower-middle class Malaysians who are complaining house prices are getting out of control. Sharp rises in Malaysia property prices have caused them to strike back politically. And after their first tight election in years earlier this year, the ruling political party can't afford to let those people down. The main issue here is your affordability, when already in malaysia, can you wife get a job? or she will only stay in the house? did she have any property under her name?

Typical Process Overview

The following process overview is applicable to the Employment Pass category. Approximate overall processing time from the time the first step is submitted to the time the employee is legal to work in Malaysia is three (3) to four (4) weeks for a visa waiver national and five (5) to six (6) weeks for visa restricted nationals. For Stage 1 Employment Pass-Pre position approval application can be filed and processed while the applicant is overseas, however for stage 2 Employment Pass application for visa-waiver nationals the applicant needs to be physically present in Malaysia at point of filing the application. However, note the processing timeline does not take into account time spent in compiling the required company and personal documents. Therefore the lead time for document gathering at the start of the process should be factored in.

In Malaysia, Marriage and Birth Certificates of accompanying family members need to be translated (if applicable) and subsequently certified by the respective Embassy. We will assist with this if required. See “Application Materials” section below for further details. Processing time for each individual step is noted below.

Step One: Employment Pass Approval
Processing Time: 7 to 10 working days
Submitted to the Malaysian Immigration Department. If the applicant is a visa-restricted national (i.e.- he/she requires an entry visa to enter Malaysia) then they should remain overseas at point of filing and while the application is in process. Our local representative will coordinate to file the application at Malaysian Immigration Department.

Step Two: Reference Visa Letter (restricted nationalities only)
Processing Time: Up to 1 week
Submitted to the Malaysian Immigration Department. The applicant should remain overseas while this application is in process. The reference letter is required in order to obtain the entry visa for work purposes. Note that visa-waiver nationals may travel to Malaysia on visitor status and obtain their Employment Pass on arrival from the Immigration Department.

Step Three: Reference Visa (Work purposes) (restricted nationals only)
Processing Time: 3 to 5 working days.
Once the reference letter is issued, the original letter will be couriered to the applicant in order to make the Reference visa application at the Malaysian consulate or Embassy in the home country or country of residence.

Step Four: Employment Pass Endorsement
Processing Time: Approximately 3 working days
The applicant's passport must be endorsed with the Employment Pass. Our representative in Malaysia will collect the passport to arrange the endorsement; personal appearance is not required.

Step Five: Foreign Expatriate I-Card
Processing Time: Same Day
This application is not mandatory. However, most expatriates prefer to obtain the I-Card as it facilitates clearance at the entry points. For the I-Card application, personal appearance is mandatory for thumb prints. Note: I Cards are valid for five (5) years, but at renewal stage should be submitted so that the authorities can update their system. I-Cards cannot be obtained where the expatriate is on assignment for less than one (1) year.

Typical Documents Obtained

Following the Employment Pass category described above will result in the obtention of the following immigration documents. Typical validity is noted next to each document name. For details on the renewal process, please see the next section, “Renewal.”
•Employment Pass: Usually valid for a maximum period of two (2) years
•Visit (Temporary ) Employment Pass: Applicable for assignments valid from six (6) months to up to one year
•I-Card: Five (5) years

Renewal

•Renewal is possible only for Employment Pass and not for Professional Visit Pass Work Permit
•Renewal processes take three (3) to four (4) weeks' time; please allow two (2) weeks lead time for document gathering

Permanent Residence without employment conditions is not easy to obtain, but is an option for qualified applicants after working legally in Malaysia for at least five (5) years. We can assist with all of these processes.

Dependants

Dependant immigration status approval depends on the immigration status of the principal applicant. Where the principal applicant is in Malaysia under the Employment Pass category, the following rules apply for dependants:
•Minimum age (spouses): 18.
•Maximum age (children): up to 21 years.
•Unmarried partners: No, but Long Stay Visit Pass may be possible.
•Same sex partners: No.
•Non traditional dependants (e.g. parents): No, but Long Stay Visit Pass may be possible.
•Work authorisation granted? No.
•Note: that school age children may need to apply for “Permission to Study stamp” post securing Dependent Pass, if required by the school/college authorities. This is not a mandatory requirement.

Application Materials

•Application materials vary depending on the immigration category being applied for and on the specifics of the case. We will advise you in detail for your specific case, however general application materials for the Employment Pass category are noted below.
•A variety of personal and corporate documents will be needed to support the application.
•Such documents include: current resume (C.V.), Degree Certificate, birth and marriage certificates, corporate tax documents, and corporate registration certificates.
•Certificates not in English must be translated and certified by the Malaysian Embassy in the country of origin.
•ote that the above mentioned documents are examples of what will be required and that additional documentation will certainly be necessary. We will prepare all necessary forms and will advise you of the exact documents required based upon the specifics of your case.

Business Visitors

There is no stand alone Business Visa category for Malaysia. Visa waiver nationals can arrive in Malaysia on landing visa (duration of stay varies based on nationality) and conduct business activities. For Visa restricted nationals they need to obtain a “Single/Multiple entry Visa” prior to arrival in Malaysia. Upon arrival the Immigration authorities will stamp the passport with endorsement as “Visit Pass”. Visit Pass covers both Business and Social/Visit purposes.
•Name of visa granted: Visit Pass..
•Duration of stay: Varies from seven (7) days up to 90 days; depends upon nationality..
•General activities permitted: Orientation, home-finding, and other preparation for employment can be conducted under Visit Pass status.

Change of Status

It is possible for some nationalities to convert from visitor to employment status without leaving Malaysia.

Salary and Payroll

Salary and payroll requirements vary depending on the immigration category and on the specifics of the case. In Malaysia, there are minimum salary requirements in place. Additionally, payroll location will affect the immigration process. Please contact your representative for more details regarding your specific situation.

Qualifications

Qualification requirements will vary from case to case and will depend on the immigration category under which the application is made. However, in general, the immigration authorities do expect to see an undergraduate level university degree. In some situations, a strong case may be made for applicants without a degree, provided their level of experience and industry specific qualification is high. Please contact your representative for more details.

Red Flags

In our experience, the following points are important to note at the start of the process. If any of the below situations apply to you, contact your representative immediately for further detailed advice.
•Absence of degree.
•Insufficient compensation.
•Holders of passports issued by Bangladesh, the People\'s Republic of China, India, Israel, Myanmar, Nepal, North Korea, Pakistan, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, and Vietnam are subjected to special application procedures and they may not enter Malaysia while their applications to work are in process. Note the above is not an exhaustive list and covers the major nations having visa – restrictions for Malaysia.
•Unmarried partners cannot receive Dependant Passes.
•When the immigration authorities approve standard employment passes, they will attach a condition for an Understudy to be appointed. An Understudy is a Malaysian executive to be trained under the expatriate to eventually take over the expatriate's role and duties.
•The Immigration Department will look at the Employer\'s investment levels, history of past commitments to transfer technology and the ratio of foreign to local workers.
•There is a general requirement that one must be 27 years or older to receive approval to work in Malaysia, but in some cases an exemption from this rule can be obtained.

Penalties for Non-Compliance

The Malaysian government takes immigration non-compliance very seriously. Penalties for non-compliance range from fines to deportation and even imprisonment. For specific details of penalties, please contact your representative.

Bilateral Agreements

N/A

Application Materials

•Application materials vary depending on the immigration category being applied for and on the specifics of the case. We will advise you in detail for your specific case, however general application materials for the Employment Pass category are noted below.
•A variety of personal and corporate documents will be needed to support the application.
•Such documents include: current resume (C.V.), Degree Certificate, birth and marriage certificates, corporate tax documents, and corporate registration certificates.
•Certificates not in English must be translated and certified by the Malaysian Embassy in the country of origin.
•ote that the above mentioned documents are examples of what will be required and that additional documentation will certainly be necessary. We will prepare all necessary forms and will advise you of the exact documents required based upon the specifics of your case.

Business Visitors

There is no stand alone Business Visa category for Malaysia. Visa waiver nationals can arrive in Malaysia on landing visa (duration of stay varies based on nationality) and conduct business activities. For Visa restricted nationals they need to obtain a “Single/Multiple entry Visa” prior to arrival in Malaysia. Upon arrival the Immigration authorities will stamp the passport with endorsement as “Visit Pass”. Visit Pass covers both Business and Social/Visit purposes.
•Name of visa granted: Visit Pass..
•Duration of stay: Varies from seven (7) days up to 90 days; depends upon nationality..
•General activities permitted: Orientation, home-finding, and other preparation for employment can be conducted under Visit Pass status.

Change of Status
It is possible for some nationalities to convert from visitor to employment status without leaving Malaysia.

Salary and Payroll

Salary and payroll requirements vary depending on the immigration category and on the specifics of the case. In Malaysia, there are minimum salary requirements in place. Additionally, payroll location will affect the immigration process. Please contact your representative for more details regarding your specific situation.

Qualifications
Qualification requirements will vary from case to case and will depend on the immigration category under which the application is made. However, in general, the immigration authorities do expect to see an undergraduate level university degree. In some situations, a strong case may be made for applicants without a degree, provided their level of experience and industry specific qualification is high. Please contact your representative for more details.

Red Flags

In our experience, the following points are important to note at the start of the process. If any of the below situations apply to you, contact your representative immediately for further detailed advice.
•Absence of degree.
•Insufficient compensation.
•Holders of passports issued by Bangladesh, the People\'s Republic of China, India, Israel, Myanmar, Nepal, North Korea, Pakistan, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, and Vietnam are subjected to special application procedures and they may not enter Malaysia while their applications to work are in process. Note the above is not an exhaustive list and covers the major nations having visa – restrictions for Malaysia.
•Unmarried partners cannot receive Dependant Passes.
•When the immigration authorities approve standard employment passes, they will attach a condition for an Understudy to be appointed. An Understudy is a Malaysian executive to be trained under the expatriate to eventually take over the expatriate's role and duties.
•The Immigration Department will look at the Employer\'s investment levels, history of past commitments to transfer technology and the ratio of foreign to local workers.
•There is a general requirement that one must be 27 years or older to receive approval to work in Malaysia, but in some cases an exemption from this rule can be obtained.

Penalties for Non-Compliance

The Malaysian government takes immigration non-compliance very seriously. Penalties for non-compliance range from fines to deportation and even imprisonment. For specific details of penalties, please contact your representative.

Bilateral Agreements

N/A === i copied this guidelines from the malaysian immigration - i do not hold any rights nor monetary compensation of any form...

To sum it up, any move or dream you wanted to happen for your family, you must be financially ready w/ enough savings, if your not sure with your capability financially, i would suggest for the time being let your wife go with your kid and have a simple rented apartment, you can accompany them for a short visit, you can also find a job if you want, you have to consider alot of options, your wife must work much better in canada or in kl, if you do not have enough funds, you secure first the job in malaysia if you are totally decided, every processing of documents requieres a considerable time and money, do not jeopardize your present job in Canada, both countries are enjoying good economy but you have to think twice or more before leaping into a big decision.

To be honest, your wife should NOT even think about giving up her Malaysian citizenship if she wants to be able to live easily again in Malaysia.  As there is no recognition of double citizenship, you would both have all the problems and requirements that foreigners have.

I have a friend in a similar situation, but she has not changed her nationality. Therefore her husband easily got a Long Term Social Visit Pass. He can work in any job and does not have to get a separate work permit. He also gets the same almost free access to healthcare from the Malaysian public hospitals (good standard). She has bought property in her name and can pay ANY price (foreigners have to spend RM1m minimum - its RM2m on Penang Island).  So her rights as a Malaysian citizen are EXTREMELY important an beneficial to you both.

If your wife gives up her Malaysian citizenship, if she wants to work in Malaysia, she would then be under the rules for foreigners and that would mean only jobs with a salary of RM5k per month are open to her - and the majority of local companies do not have sufficient capital to be eligible to employ foreigners. She would also need to get a work permit if she is no longer Malaysian. If at any time you wanted to set up a business together less capital is needed. Or if she does want to run a small business, as a Malaysian, she has very few restrictions - there are lots for foreigners and financial requirements and licences.

If your wife is no longer Malaysian and happens to contravene any of the rules for foreigners, she could risk being deported and banned from re-entering.  That would mean your LTSV pass would also be rescinded.

If you have not done so already, the first step will be to register your marriage with the Malaysian Authorities.

Rami:
Thank you for your reply and the detailed information.
So let me see if I got this right, seeing as I am the primary income earner and I am a foreigner if we move to KL and plan to buy property it must be 1 million RM or over and under my name, not hers. My wife has not owned property in Malaysia before. If I secure a job in KL and we decide to rent for the time being, would I be able to apply for Permanent Residence in the near future? Would that status allow me to purchase property without the 1 million RM minimum? Do you know what the estimated time frame of this option would be?
My first thought was that we'd stay in Canada for a few years and save up, in the meantime my wife is applying for Canadian citizenship so in the case that things don't work out in Malaysia, we can come back without any issues or time apart. But seeing as there's a 1 million RM minimum on property, we might have to go the rent route for awhile until we secure enough funds or until we figure out a way to be able to buy property without the limits (maybe my wife remaining as a Malaysian or me becoming a PR in the near future). Any suggestions? Other options?

Gravitas:
Thank you for your reply. That's very interesting. Can I get more information on the "Long Term Social Visit Pass"?
So since my wife is currently a Malaysian (but a Canadian Permanent Resident), if we decide to move to KL she would have no problems and can go back immediately but I would need to apply for this Long Term Social Visit Pass and that would allow me to work in KL with no restrictions? Would I be able to apply for the Long Term Social Visit Pass while we are both living in Canada or would she have to move back to KL for a certain period before I can apply? You also mentioned that she would not have any restriction on buying property but seeing as I am the primary income maker, would we still be able to purchase property under her name? Or would they force it to be under my name (in which case, since I'm a foreigner, the limit will be in place)?
This seems like the better option since as you said we both won't have as many restrictions if she remains a Malaysian citizen. If this is the case then I will have to re-plan things and cancel her Canadian citizenship application.
But I want to make sure that this is the best option before I do so. Are there any other possible options that might be good? I will take into account all options and see which would be the best for us and our situation.
If anyone else has any opinions I am glad to read them.
Oh, forgot to mention that our marriage is registered in Malaysia because we got married in KL.

Thanks again for the help!

Your wife can purchase the property in her name and it can be financed by you from your joint bank account. Getting Malaysian PR is at the discretion of the Malaysian Authorities. It can be applied for after being on a Long Term Social Visit Pass for 3 years.  However, it is quite difficult and takes a long to get after application because it is discretionary and there is no particular right to  PR, even being married to a Malaysian.  No PR is possible for you if your wife changes her nationality (unless you are a multi million ringgit investor in the country).

Only Malaysians can purchase property at any price. If your name goes on the sale and purchase agreement, the deal has to get clearance from the authorities and it is subject to rules for foreigners. She could always try and buy the property now and rent it out to cover the mortgage costs until you are ready to move. Of course, the property cannot be taken away if she changes her nationality in the future.  That way you have the chance to try out Malaysia living together for say during a year of absence from your job.

Malaysians can get 90% mortgages so the down payment is not particularly large. There are time limits on the length of mortgages - this was introduced last year.  I think it is 25 years but this info needs checking.

You can only apply for a Long Term Social Visit Pass if you are both resident in Malaysia. I believe you as the LTSV pas holder actually cannot leave for 6 months after it is granted - again this needs checking as there is a lot of folklore in Malaysian immigration. Everything to do with immigration is complicated and long winded, so you will probably need 6 months to sort it out!! The LTSV pass is then only renewed for 1 year to start with. I think the renewal periods get longer and eventually it is granted for 5 years.

http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/main … visit-passhttp://www.expatypus.com/wiki/long-term … s-malaysia

Just because you got married in KL, does not mean your marriage has been registered - religious ceremonies are not a form of registration. Its an important step, because without registering a marriage of a Malaysian to a foreigner, there will be problems.

Thanks Gravitas,
So it would mean that my wife would first have to move back to KL while I remain in Canada. We go back to KL every year for a month for Chinese New Year and stay at her sister's house. For next year during our vist, if we decide to create a joint bank account and purchase property would the mortgage be cleared in her name? Not sure how things would work since she's been living in Canada with me these past few years but for the mortgage application we can put her sister's address. The part I'm worried about is whether the mortgage will be approved since I am the income earner and I am a foreigner even if we have a joint account. Like you suggested, we can rent out the property and my wife can live with her sister until my LTSV application is approved. One thing that confuses me is that you mentioned that "You can only apply for a Long Term Social Visit Pass" if you are BOTH resident in Malaysia. But how can I be a resident of Malaysia before I apply if I am only visiting? And also, even though my wife has been living in Canada for the past few years, when she goes back to live with her sister would she immediately be considered a "resident" of Malaysia or would she have to stay there for a certain number of months/years for her to be a "resident" again? Would I be able to get the LTSV prior to coming to Malaysia or do I have to be actually living in KL for me to apply? And would I be able to work? I need to figure out how many months of savings I need to cover the amount of time I won't be working. If I go with the LTSV route, I want to know the procedures I must take considering the situation. In the meantime I will check with my wife to make sure our marriage has been registered.

Another thing I forgot to ask is, what is the differences/benefits of a PR versus LTSV? I believe in both situations I must renew. Would I be able to live in KL permanently by constantly renewing LTSV? Are there any downsides in doing so?

The term resident is used instead of living. You have to apply for the LTSV pass because you want to live in Malaysia. I suggest you do some initial enquiries with say banks or mortgage companies to check out the fine print. Most people share mortgage payments with their spouse or even the extended family..... If your wife lives in Malaysia she is automatically resident. You have to get a LTSV pass to even be eligible to apply for a PR and your wife has to be a Malaysian for you to get a LTSV pass and then a PR. Everyone who is a foreigner living in Malaysia has to live on renewable passes of various kind. They don't need comparing as its immigration status. It does not affect anything else such as income tax, etc. The only thing is being married to a Malaysian and on a LTSV or PR gives you better access to local services at local rates. Follow the links provided as they give more information.

There are lots of openings in the IT industry in Malaysia - it is one of the largest sectors. Networking is the best way to get jobs, so your wife and her family should be able to help you out.  Just make sure you have a good CV that is suitable for Malaysia and has a photograph on it and states clearly that you are married to a Malaysian and will have the right to work in Malaysia. You could try and research which Canadian companies are in Malaysia and see if they want to employ you here?

http://malaysia-canada.com/

Local salary levels:

http://fci.mmu.edu.my/files/my_salary_g … 2-2013.pdf

I think the basic difference between Canada and Malaysia is that the former needs foreign labour and expertise and is rather like Australia used to be - open for immigration and giving permanent residency based on a score system.  Malaysia is completely different. It is fast approaching becoming a first world country and most Islamic countries are not so developed. It is therefore seen as an attractive place to improve oneself and other surrounding countries in the region do not have such high wages (or have high unemployment) so it is much more wary about accepting foreigners of any kind and giving them long term residence status. Malaysia also wants to improve the per capita income of its people, so it is important jobs go to local residents now as they are better trained and educated. Malaysia is currently going through the process of tightening up on all its immigration and to expel people who live and work illegally in the country. Therefore they do not readily give out any status that gives rights in Malaysia. The PR in Canada does not equate to the PR in Malaysia. The latter is a step away from granting Malaysian nationality and that requires ancestry in most cases these days.

OK. Thanks. I will look into the Malaysian banks and see what their terms are.
As for LTSV do I have to be physically present in KL to apply? If so, would I be able to get it done within the 1 month that I am there next year? And would I be able to go back to Canada or am I restricted to stay in Malaysia for the duration of the LTSV?

Yes you have to be physically present in Malaysia and if you leave before it is granted the application is annulled. I think they actually insist you are in Malaysia for at least 6 months and if you do not live and work in Malaysia when the time comes for renewal, you probably wont get it renewed.  As said before, it is for spouses of Malaysians who want to live in Malaysia with their partner.

As a Canadian passport holder, you can be in Malaysia for 90 days on a social/tourist pass, to organize work, housing, etc. If you can find work while still based in Canada, then your transition will be smooth. I think your chances of finding work are quite good and from the link provided earlier, you can see an estimation of your expected salary in Malaysia.

Whenever an application is made for anything (including a bank account), a copy of every page of the passport is required. So they can see when you arrived or left the country, what pass you are on, etc.

I suggest you talk to some of the international banking groups present in Malaysia such as Standard Chartered, HSBC, Citibank, etc. if you are thinking of borrowing Malaysian Ringgit as it would probably be based through their branch in Malaysia as the RM is not a currency where you can open accounts overseas.

The cost of some property is still quite low in Malaysia, compared with some countries, so potentially servicing a mortgage initially from Canada is very doable and you have an asset which may grow in value if you choose wisely.  For example a condo in an area where expats are renting that costs RM700k can probably earn you about RM2k-2.5k per month after expenses such as service charges. Your wife can buy more than one property as well. Foreigners are limited currently to 2 purchases. But your sister-in-law can probably tell you more about the property market in general.

Another question regarding LTSV, would my wife have to be living and working in KL before I apply (does she need to show financials as a sponsor)? Because if that's the case then I will have to get her to move from Canada to KL a year before I apply for LTSV so she will have enough work documentation to support the application. We prefer not to be apart but if this is the way to make it work then we need to figure things out and start planning now. Also, would I be able to travel to other countries after I get the LTSV or am I locked down to stay in Malaysia only?

I was also wondering, would I be able to secure a job prior to getting the LTSV while I'm still in Canada or can I only secure a job after I get the LTSV approved. And do I need to secure a job before I apply for the LTSV Work Endorsement or can I secure it after it is approved? Not sure how the process works and if I manage to secure a job prior to coming over, would the company make me get a work permit or will they be ok with me getting LTSV? If they get me to be an expat then the minimum salary would apply. Would it be better to get a work permit or LTSV?
If I get a work permit then if I decide not to work for that company then would my permit become void and I'd have to leave Malaysia? On the other hand, if I have the LTSV it is not necessarily connected with the company I am working for since they wouldn't be my sponsor correct? Of course I would rather secure a job before going to KL but if it's easier in the long run if I apply for LTSV once I'm there then only get a job then I would rather go that route.

Yes your wife does have to be settled back in Malaysia - otherwise you don't even need a LTSV pass. The application procedure was in one of the links I sent you earlier. You do have mobility once you sort out the LTSV pass and meet their terms and conditions - its just the authorities want to see evidence that you intend to live in Malaysia and they do this by only providing you with short initial passes. You can move to Malaysia together and your wife can resume her life here immediately by getting a job etc. and settling down to living in her home country. Having property before you return could be a bonus as it may be perceived as a commitment to live in Malaysia. Having lived overseas together for several years and then returned is also shows you are making a choice to live in Malaysia.

If you get an offer of a job in Malaysia, you can come to Malaysia to take up the job and put in your application for the LTSV pass just before you start working, as the employer should know that you are able to work and you are just waiting for the paperwork to be completed.

You can also NOT take the LTSV pass route and opt for a work permit (employment pass) if an employer offers you one unless you give up the LTSV. You can only hold one type of pass at a time.The minimum salary to be eligible for an EP is RM5k per month (no minimum on an LTSV pass) - but you should be offered a higher salary than that - its just that immigration sets that level, so foreigners cannot take jobs away from Malaysians. The employment pass is linked to a specific job and employer, so if you leave the job, then you get your employment pass cancelled by sending your passport to immigration. You then have only the same rights to visit Malaysia as you have now. You can apply for another job at any time and the new employer can apply for a work permit for that job and company.

The LTSV pass enables you to work in Malaysia as the whole idea is that you are making a life for yourself and your Malaysian family. I don't think you erven have to report who your employer is or anything else. You may need a contract of employment at some stage to get a longer LTSV pass. You are treated in the same way as a Malaysian worker in that you work in the local market and there are no restrictions. You can negotiate your salary though based on your international experience.

As long as your wife is living and working in Malaysia, you can apply at any time to be under a LTSV pass (which as mentioned earlier enables you to apply for PR).

You would not have access to local primary health care if you are not on a LTSV pass. Your wife would. You would anyway probably want to have medical insurance to cover all your healthcare expenses. An employer may offer you health insurance and even participation in the EPF (Employee Provident Fund) which is like a pension to which an employee and the employer contribute.

Thanks for your reply.  Seems like the LTSV pass is the way to go.
But you stated that I can move to Malaysia together and my wife can immediately get a job but for me as a visitor I cannot. If I then apply for the LTSV my worries are that since my wife would have just got back to KL then she wouldn't have had her job for very long and isn't yet established in KL. Especially if we are temporarily staying with her sister. What do you think is the best way for this transition? Should she go back a year earlier to work for a year and perhaps rent a place first before I go there to apply for my LTSV so it shows that she's estabilshed in KL? Or would it not make a difference if we both go back together and apply for LTSV even though she just got her new job in KL? Seems like either way I must plan financially to not have income from work for a few months until the LTSV is approved and I find a job.

Just want to figure out the exact steps I need to take:           
1) save money           
2) make sure my marriage is registered in Malaysia           
3) cancel wife's Canadian Citizenship application           
4) get joint Malaysian bank account with my wife and transfer money from Canadian bank account           
5) wife's Canadian PR is expiring next year so renew next year in case we need to come back to Canada (valid 5 yrs)           
6) if my wife has to be living/working in Malaysia before I apply for LTSV, prepare for this, get her to move/find a job first           
7) get wife to gather all documents and application forms for my LTSV           
8) quit my job in Canada           
9) go to KL as visitor and apply for LTSV so I can live in KL           
10) get LTSV approved           
11) find job           
12) apply for LTSV Work Endorsement so I can legally work           
13) buy property under wife's name so there are no restrictions           
14) renew LTSV or apply for PR to stay in Malaysia           
15) live happily ever after!           

If there's anything important I'm missing or something that should change please let me know.

You can take up work if you have been offered a job and have submitted your LTSV pass and are just waiting for it to be processed. Your Malaysian marriage certificate will come in handy!!

The critical thing about this move is actually you getting your career restarted.  Concentrate on that.

As a foreigner who has not made an application for an LTSV, you are under the rules for foreigners which say you can only stay in Malaysia on a tourist/social visit pass (90 days), a work permit, a dependent's pass, student pass, or guardian pass.

Optional 1A) Start researching Malaysian job market and networking with intention of getting a job offer. 4A) Start researching the Malaysian property market/price/affordability and perhaps visit a shortlist of properties during next visit. 16) Make a will or a contract that says on death, or any other circumstance, the property should either pass to you, or should be sold and the proceeds split between you in some agreed proportion.

In the case my wife becomes a Canadian citizen and loses her Malaysian citizenship, if get a job offer and apply via a working visa would my wife be able to come with me? If she later intends to work, would she need to apply for her own working visa and be under the salary restriction or would the visa she gets from following me suffice?
We are looking at all options because my wife is worried that in the case things don't work out in Malaysia and I go back to Canada then she won't be able to follow me if she remains a Malaysian citizen now and doesn't go for the Canadian citizenship.

Yes, if you are granted an employment pass, she can apply for a dependent's pass. She is then subject to all the rules for foreigners and that includes a minimum salary of RM5k per month and clearance of any job offer by immigration and endorsement of her pass to enable her to work. She would need to have a fairly good educational background to be offered a job at that sort of level - so you risk that she will never be able to work in Malaysia and contribute to the family's financial strength through employment.

As a Canadian citizen she has no right to purchase low priced property in Malaysia and you would have to pay RM1m or more for a property, when there are quite suitable ones giving you less of a financial burden available - but you would need to research that area and see if it makes any difference to your potential choice of property to purchase. But bear in mind that you could build up a portfolio of rental properties over the years and this would mean great passive income.

One other HUGE matter is that if you have children and want to live in Malaysia as expats on employment passes, your children cannot attend the government schools, some of which are Chinese schools.  This will mean you will be paying absolutely ridiculous school fees and we are talking about RM35k-50k per annum by current standards.

To be honest, Canada cannot refuse her access as long as she is your wife....... and its just about applying for the appropriate pieces of paper.  Think ahead and about whether there is any real advantage if she becomes Canadian - or its just about a comfort zone thing.  She has more to give away as far as I can see if she changes nationality.  Everyone I know who changed their nationality ended up regretting it.

I guess she is hoping to keep both citizenships illegally as many Malaysians do. But risky if caught......

Btw met someone recently who got immediate PR based on returning expert programme for his wife. Very generous programme!

But beware of the "bolshie banana" effect. Banana* being yellow on outside white inside and Bolshie as westernised. Reverse cultural shock can be really bad. I give marriages in that case 50% survival chances. Many break up under the pressure.

*a term rascist in the west but used jokingly by many Chinese Malaysians I met suffering from reverse culture shock and even depression from the cultural stress of coming "home". The reason is social/family pressure to conform and the simple fact they have changed so much and didn't realise it.

Of course we do not want to do anything illegal. I'm just trying to figure out what the best way for us is since I don't have any experience in this. Hoping that others who have experience can help me out. From what Gravitas has been saying, seems to me that the LTSV pass is the way to go but I am open to other suggestions as this is a big decision for us.

Nemo is right in saying, that although your wife has expressed a need to return to Malaysia to be close to her family, it can be very difficult to settle back into your "home" country. I never managed to settle back - so have been an expat most of my life. You may have to go through with the plan, just to put her mind at rest that it is what she really wants, or is there some pressure being placed on her (filial piety). It would potentially not hurt you to try and live in Malaysia for a few years and then you both decide to return to Canada. Nemo also correctly mentions that your marriage will be put under some pressures and marriages between different nationalities already have less chance of long term success, according to studies by sociologists. Although you have visited Malaysia as a tourist, it is not the same as living day-in and day-out in a place.

Thanks for the advice. The main reason of going back is that my wife wants to be with her family. She has 6 other sisters (my wife is the youngest) and a brother along with her parents and they all live within 10 mins of each other. They are all very close (not just proximity) and see each other regularly, often helping each other with sending/picking up each other's kids from school, etc. I've never seen a family take care of each other so well like they do. When they were young they were poor and they all had to crowd together in one room. This helped them bond and it shows today how strong their bond is. My wife definitely misses this as my relationship with my family is nothing close to this. In fact, some things happened in the past so I rarely see them at all anymore. So for me, I really don't mind moving to Malaysia to start a new life.  Also the property prices in Vancouver are insane and the cost of living is high. If we stayed here we would never be able to afford a house whereas if we moved to Malaysia we can.

I understand visiting Malaysia as a tourist is not the same as living there but I am willing to give it a shot and try to adapt. Sure the social benefits in Canada outweigh those in Malaysia and the standard of living and education system is better in Canada but since we do not have children and do not plan to have children, we don't have to worry about that as much. My wife's family is very supportive and will help us with the transition. The only thing I'm not too crazy about is the hot weather =)

There's an ice hockey league though  :top:

www.mm2h.gov.my/‎

Hope it helps!!

Cheers

But, unfortunately, MM2H is a SOCIAL visit pass and it does not enable you to take up employment in Malaysia. In some special cases they give you permission to work for a maximum of 20 hours,   

The investments required under MM2H depend on your age and are around RM350k for under 50 years of age, or RM150k for over 50 years of age. (sorry I have not checked the latest amounts required - it is important to do so)

Any foreigner can set up a business to get work permits/dependent permits (RM1m required in capital injection). You do not need to be on the MM2H programme.  In fact, there would be no point being on the MM2H programme AND opening a business as the work rules under MM2H would apply to your business.

You can buy or rent a property without being on the MM2H programme as well.

darkmocha0421:
Unfortunately I don't think the MM2H is for me as I don't have the investments required and both my wife and I plan to work.
Gravitas: Yeah, they do have an ice hockey league but there's only 2 small sized ice rinks and the ice quality is crap. :D We have an ice rink at most community centers here. At one venue there are 8 rinks in one location, the place is appropriately called "8 rinks".

Okay Yakitori was just saying thought it could help!!

Cheers!!

But Yakitori, you can't go swimming outdoors 365 days a year in Canada can you  :D

darkmocha0421:
Yup! Much appreciated :D
Any information that can help my decision is good information.
Thanks!

Gravitas:
True, you can't swim year round here. Just yesterday it was snowing here in Vancouver, rare for a February day for us.
Oh, one thing I'm not too clear about is if we are planning on applying for LTSV pass, should my wife go back before me and get a job to settle down first to show that at least she is established in KL rather than us both going there together and applying when she either doesn't have a job yet or hasn't been at her job for very long. Would that affect the application since we both just suddenly arrived?
My worry is that there isn't enough evidence to support that we are living there and that my application will get denied especially since we are planning to stay with her sister instead of renting for the first year. Any recommendations on this?

Most expats married to Malaysians don't apply for the MM2H, it's not really meant for people in your situation. Mainly meant for retirees and investors.

Yep it's always hot here. But as long as you are not fat then you'll get used to it.

Don't put everything in your wife's name, you never know what might happen in the future.

The Malaysian ringgit fluctuates quite a bit. Transfer your Canadian Dollars to a Canadian dollar account with a local bank here. Then you can move it to ringgit as and when the rates are favourable.

Welcome to Malaysia.

You may be able to network in this group: Canadian Association of Malaysia - CAM   www.canadians-in-kl.com

MikeWallace77:
Thanks for the tips. I will be creating a joint account with my wife the next time I go to KL (next year).

Gravitas:
Thanks for the resources. Were you able to find out whether it would be better if my wife goes to KL before me to find a job and settle down to strengthen the proof that we are actually planning to live there? If so, I need to figure out a timeline of when she should go back and for how long before I join her. Or will it be OK if we both go to KL at the same time and apply for the LTSV even though we just arrived. I think this is the last bit of info I need to plan for our future.

No couple wants to be separated in order to satisfy immigration processes.  I don't really see any point in your wife coming to Malaysia in advance, but I have not been able to find the forms online that need to be submitted to see what is required. I suspect that they would at least expect to her to have got a job and somewhere to live to show commitment. I have an acquaintance who is going the same route and will see if he can tell me a bit more. I think his wife transferred from the Middle East to the same company in KL.

I do know that you have to pay a bond of RM2k,  which is returnable if you both leave again. Here are the documents that are required and can be collected from the local immigration office near Publika/Solaris Dutamas - The exact address is 69 Jalan Sri Hartamas 1. The building say "KDN" on it (Kementerian Dalam Negeri). There is free parking for visitors at the back of the building.

Form Imm 12 (2 copies)
Form Imm 55 (2 copies)
Form Imm 38 (2 copies)
Marriage certificates (Malaysian & Foreign if you married abroad) - originals and copy
Statutory Declaration the marriage is still valid - certified by commissioner of oath (there is one in the Jalan Duta centre that can be used)
Security Bond with the usual RM10 tax stamp obtainable from post offices, etc. (same as for property rental lease)
Original and copy of passport of Malaysian spouse (all pages)
Original and copy of Mykad of Malaysian spouse (all pages)
Original and copy of passport of expatriate spouse (all pages)
2 passport photo of Malaysian spouse
2 passport photo of expatriate spouse
A wedding photo with both spouse on (preferably from the Malaysian wedding ceremony)
Original ID and passports for both spouse
Original and copy of Wedding and Divorce certs if either party were previously married

About employment - many people find that they have to change professions when they arrive in a foreign country. So some preparation might be in order to broaden the scope of opportunities.  Being able to teach subjects like English, ICT or Sport, can be a ticket to better jobs.

Yup that's true. I've lived much of my life overseas and every job I've had has taken me in a different direction until I started to run my own businesses which have also been very varied. You have got to be flexible in this world. It's the best way to build up experience and knowledge and it is always interesting to try out new things.

yakitori wrote:

Of course we do not want to do anything illegal. I'm just trying to figure out what the best way for us is since I don't have any experience in this. Hoping that others who have experience can help me out. From what Gravitas has been saying, seems to me that the LTSV pass is the way to go but I am open to other suggestions as this is a big decision for us.

Your wife either gives up her Canadian citizenship/ passport or the Malaysian citizenship/passport/IC card.

Otherwise illegal!

Gravitas:
Thanks, but when we first arrive there I don't think she will have a job secured already because I doubt she can secure a job while we're in Canada. Most likely she can only get the job after she arrives which was my concern that maybe she should go ahead of me so she can get all that stuff sorted out to make our case stronger. Also, since she would be staying at her sister's place during that time I'm not sure if that weakens the case versus renting her own place. Not sure if they would view it as a temporary living arrangement and that we're not actually living in KL.
I will try to upgrade my skills to broaden my skill set. How good is the pay for an English teacher?
I can go for some tests to get some certificates before I come just in case.

MikeWallace77:
I agree. It is always better to have the skills to take a variety of jobs and be flexible. I'll work on upgrading my skills.

Nemodot:
I do understand that it is illegal for me to get an LTSVP without my wife surrendering her Canadian citizenship. That is why we are planning to cancel her Canadian citizenship application which we just submitted earlier this year. She is not yet a Canadian and is still a Malaysian citizen that's why we are planning to take the LTSVP route as suggested.

Chill - you can stay 90 days in Malaysia legally as a Canadian. If your wife is minded, she can easily find a job in that time and you can make your application. Your wife can change job as often as she wants so nothing is the end of the world. Address is fine, no questions asked. The Malaysian immigration are not the Gestapo. But you have to be serious about living and staying in Malaysia until at least you get your PR.

Nothing is black and white in relocating (unless you have a job offer). You will be surprised at the resources you have to get by any problems that may exist.

Yes, once we make the decision we will be serious about living and staying in Malaysia.
I just want to make sure everything will go smoothly with the LTSV application as that will ensure that I can stay in Malaysia more than 90 days. The stronger the case I can have the better for the application. I don't want to end up going to KL, having the LTSV application rejected because lack of evidence we are planning to live there and then having to come back to Canada after the 90 days is up.
That would be a real headache as I'd have to leave my wife in KL, fly back to Canada and look for a place to live temporarily and won't have immediate work and then try the same process again later. Flight is not cheap either, about $1500 CDN roundtrip.

The scenario you paint is extreme. If the application is underway (it only requires one visit by your wife for her interview and to take in the forms for processing) you don't have to leave Malaysia, but can by going for a day trip to Singapore on the bus and back. The application should be made once you have been back or a month or more and your wife is working (day off to sort out the LTSVP would not be a problem).  It takes 9 months to settle into a new environment and you will hopefully have a job to come to Malaysia for - or at least have found one within a month of arrival and making the LTSV pass application, because you have planned in advance who to contact. As mentioned earlier, you have to stay in Malaysia for at least 2-5 years to get your PR.