Moving to Cadiz - Working from home for a British company

Hey guys,

I'm a 36 year old married man and have a daughter who is 6 months old.

My family and I are hoping to move to Southern Spain next year. This is very much our dream and we already have family and friends in Southern Spain who have lived there for years.

I work for a British company and have discussed such a move with my superiors who would like to retain my services and as such have suggested that I could work remotely (from home) in Spain. I could not believe my luck when I received such an offer!

However, the more I consider this the more I question how feasible this would be. That would put me in a position wherein I'd be living in Spain whilst working remotely for a British company (and paying tax to the British government). I guessing this would lead to quite a complicated tax situation even before even considering the fact that the UK is leaving the European Union right around the time that we'd be looking to move?

I'm wondering how feasible my plans are in reality. I have a very young daughter and would not want to uproot her and move to Spain only to find out that we could not stay or that financially we were far worse off due to having to pay tax twice (or something to that effect).

Does anybody have any advice? Does this seem feasible? I guess I'm best off waiting to find out what specifically is negotiated with "brexit"? Would I be better off trying to move over before the 29th March next year (Brexit deadline)?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Matt

Hmmmmm, I'm thinking that a Residence Visa (Non-Lucrative) might be what we will require? Probably best to get this sorted before Brexit i'm guessing?

As you are an EU Citizen, you will not require a visa before or after Brexit. If you are on Facebook there is a group that discusses all the issues regarding Brexit > https://www.facebook.com/groups/britishineurope

Sim.  Before Brexit of course as an EU citizen no visa required. 

Post Brexit I would have thought that a visa might be required   

My wife is Asian she certainly needed a visa and as post Brexit brits would be non EU nationals unless there is a special deal I would have thought a visa might be a requirement

Johncar wrote:

Sim.  Before Brexit of course as an EU citizen no visa required. 

Post Brexit I would have thought that a visa might be required   

My wife is Asian she certainly needed a visa and as post Brexit brits would be non EU nationals unless there is a special deal I would have thought a visa might be a requirement

They have already stated that no visa will be required. No changes will happen regarding healthcare as well.

Briext, nothing has ben agreed.
OP says

and paying tax to the British government

No you will have to pay your taxes in Spain.
EU website. Choose employed or self-employed.
You will have to also pay into the health system, or purchase private health care.

RibeiraSacra wrote:

Try following the news! Also, watch Embassy videos online.

Hey Sim,

Thank you ever so much for your response. Really appreciated.

I have to admit to being a little relieved that a Visa will not be required as I've done reading and hear that it is quite a cumbersome process.

I don't suppose you could provide any guidance upon what boxes I'd need to tick given my circumstances and situation?

I'm guessing I'd need healthcare insurance for myself and my family? I'm guessing we would have to go through some kind of registration process with Spanish authorities? I'm sure I'd have to pay some form of tax?

Thank you again for your assistance. Information relevant to my particular situation is difficult to come-by on the internet although I continue to search!

Thank you.

Matt and family.

RibeiraSacra wrote:

OP says

and paying tax to the British government

No you will have to pay your taxes in Spain.
EU website. Choose employed or self-employed.
You will have to also pay into the health system, or purchase private health care.

I will already be paying taxes in the UK? So i'm to be taxed twice?

I would also recommend signing up for the government Brexit News Letter, which has the latest updates.

If one is resident in spain then hey required to pay income tax here on their worldwide income

The Double Taxation Agreement 2013 between U.K. smd spain ensures one does not pay the same tax in both countries

Take a look here:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s … _force.pdf

Johncar wrote:

If one is resident in spain then hey required to pay income tax here on their worldwide income

The Double Taxation Agreement 2013 between U.K. smd spain ensures one does not pay the same tax in both countries

Take a look here:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s … _force.pdf

Bugger. Paying my taxes in Spain rather than the UK would mean that my British pension (for which i've been paying National Insurance for 20 years) would be kaput.

Thanks for the link to the double taxation agreement John! I don't suppose there is a copy of it in English anywhere? HAHA ;)

you will have a state pension paid here in Spain. So that (at the moment) will count for your total pension.
This is the way it works at the moment.. If your pension is private then maybe you could look into a transfer to one in Spain. Or perhaps you can keep paying for the private one which living in Spain. It is worth investigating.

SimCityAT wrote:
RibeiraSacra wrote:

Try following the news! Also, watch Embassy videos online.

The news/newspapers are never to be believed. Or are they? Just how true are these?
Clear as mud.
Brits living in Europe face being “landlocked”

May I kindly request that instead of giving me institutions,, please  give all of the forum members a link or two. That would be beneficial to all, no?

I believe the government officials as they are the ones negotiating that matter.

Yet another article from the news, of which I have been accused on not reading.
Britons 'entirely in the dark'
After this it looks as if nothing has been agreed.

Matt

The link I posted is in english

RibeiraSacra wrote:

Yet another article from the news, of which I have been accused on not reading.
Britons 'entirely in the dark'
After this it looks as if nothing has been agreed.

Wow, so the government is lying to us, and the British Ambassadors in many countries are also telling us rubbish. I've given you a link to subscribe to, I suggest you follow up on things and also follow what is happening in the European Parliament.

I guess someone saying something will happen with Brexit is well intentioned and probably will be included in the final agreement.  However things could go wrong  and the  final agreement may not include some of the things expected or even that there will no Agreement, in which case what we hope for may not come to pass

Unfortunately ‘nothing is decided until everything is decided' still has a relevance

Johncar wrote:

Matt

The link I posted is in english

You could have fooled me John! :)

So given my particular circumstances, I guess I need to...

1. Keep a close eye on Brexit negotiations.
2. Develop a clear understanding of how the double taxation treaty functions.
3. Develop a clear understanding of how moving to Spain would affect my UK pension. For example, what if for some reason we had to move back to the UK in 10-15-20 years? Having not paid any UK tax for that period, how would that affect my right to a UK pension etc etc.

Thank you everyone for your assistance. Sincerely greatly appreciated.

fohttps://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/507409/spain-dtc_-_in_force.pdf

Matt as can see this is a U.K. web page.  I cannot understand why you cannot get an english page

If suggest you google ‘double taxatation agreement 2013 between spain and U.K. ‘

That's what I did to find the page quickly

Hey John,

I was joking. I was suggesting the heavy use to legal / financial jargon results in the article being as good as in another language. :)

Thank you though. I appreciate your assistance.

Sorry I missed the point. 

I was a detective in U.K. for 30 years interpreting the meaning of laws and legal judgements,  so I  guess legal jargon is not so bad for me

John

simcat I would never do facebook, especially after the privacy concerns and the supporting of Brexit and a presidential "run", all be it unwillingly, if they are to be believed. It was you who TOLD me I have to read the news. But now you have left me a little bewildered, because when I post links you do not agree with them.

I have been reading the EU website. So far the EU have notably been very silent on a lot of issues. The UK government has only issued some details about how EU citizens in the UK status maybe considered after Brexit. I have seen the UK govenemnt's position has change over the months, maybe will everything else could do too, until a formal signing of any deal. That has yet to happen.
I personally would doubt and sincerely hope, that it will never come to  any country  throwing the Brits out of the country or the UK would throw any EU citizen out. That would be an unethical purge to which we have never seen in Europe for a number of years. I have read that there are more Brits moving to mainland Europe  now so that they can secure a place in the sun now and not have any problems in the future.

I believe.  I read that under the EU laws people who have been granted permanent residencia cannot have it withdrawn

If so those with resident status for five year should be ok as then automaticily become permanent

Other than that I think it is largely hopeful guess work   

However as I have had dual nationality since 2010, when I took up my right to an Irish passport I have not followed all that closely what will happen to brits

John, for different reasons than you I am also not personally worried about my future status . But I am a little shocked at some of political posturing that has been going on. I am however hoping for the "best" outcome possible.

I think I should stop read the news.
More depressing/unsolved/unclear stuff.
Possible to vote in the next municipal elections?

Riviera

I read the newspaper article

Of course I do not know about Brits keeping or loosing their right to vote

I do remember that the statistics show that hardly any non Spaniards vote in the municipal elections so I guess very few will be affected.

I do not know  one person in my circle of friends and acquaintances who has ever voted in spain.  Those who know I have voted in every election for the 30 years I have lived in spain think I am a little odd