Rosarito, ensenada, San Felipe or?

Which area do you think is best?
Couple in our 60's
Not athletic, homebodies but still like sightseeing and cultures
Biggest goals are easier lifestyle in areas of slower pace, affordable without worrying all the time, much better weather than Pacific Northwest, light entertainment, safety, access to the US, at least until we are ready to break that bond
Income range of $2000-2800 month not counting sale of our home
Want to rent for 6-12 month before possibly buying a home
Love how the lareto area looks but it just seems so far from US
Hoping to bring my 2008 pickup
Bringing our Sheltie
Medical is important so location relating to decent medical is important... surprised at the cost of private health insurance..looks to be $200-250 a month per person?
I have read all the information about moving to Mexico, obtaining residency etc.  I'm looking for personal experience and preference.
We of course, plan to visit a few areas before choosing our rental area. Once we get settled, then will do more extensive research
We have no major ties to the US, only broken family dreams.
Thanks in advance

Personal preferences will play a roll in making your decision. There is a substancial difference on climates between the gulf (San Filipe) and Pacific (Rosarito and Ensenada) sides of the Baja peninsula.

My wife and I live in Rosarito and love the climate here. Very much like San Diego. We cannot imagine living in San Filipe during the very hot summers. However, we have very good friends in San Filipe who live there year round and love it. Their house is air conditioned and when it the weather is hot they stay in.

Your plan to rent first is highly recommended. Spend half a year in each place spanning seasons. Explore, and see which you like best. Get to know the people around you, both expats and local citizens. We know some who travel between the two and spend summers on the Pacific side and their winters on the gulf.

Good luck and prepare for a relaxed and rewarding experience.

We looked at San Filipe, Puerto Penasico, Cabo, and Rosarito.  We ended up buying in Rosarito.  Mainly, we were able to get a high rise new construction condo on the ocean for a pretty decent price.  Plus, it's under construction so we can design it the way we want.  I like the close proximity to San Diego just in case of a serious medical issue and it makes it much easier to drive/fly to visit the grandkids or for them to come see us.

What price ranges for a decent rental? Beach near, 2 bedroom... prefer single residenc or privacy
Rosarito, ensenada area,?

Prices vary. The internet can help you explore!

https://www.point2homes.com/MX/Rental-P … amp;ajax=1

Another.

http://www.mlsbajaproperties.com/Rental … 01389.html

Generally, high rises on the water are the most expensive. The daily rTes are high for those and there is incentive to keep them in the vacation rental pool.

Never looked at rental.  But the agency we are using does handle rentals close to Rosarito.  Try www.baja123.com   We are using Ken Husman as our agent.  Great guy.  His wife works with several HOA's in the area so has a good hook for long term rentals.  The last couple of times we have gone down to see how the construction is going Ken has hooked us up with a nice two bedroom at Las Palmas.  Just walking around the property it appears there are plenty of empty condo's.

I just read that private health insurance in Mexico is very pricey. $ 200 to $250 a month. If you don't qualify for Medicare yet does this mean you must carry a US policy and Mexican if you're traveling between countries?  And what about auto coverage? Who covers the car in the US if you have Mexican insurance?
Insurance could end up taking your entire budget.
I'm a recent widow looking at retirement in Rosarito on $1400 a month. Is this even a possibility? I need some advice please.

blzroad wrote:

I just read that private health insurance in Mexico is very pricey. $ 200 to $250 a month. If you don't qualify for Medicare yet does this mean you must carry a US policy and Mexican if you're traveling between countries?  And what about auto coverage? Who covers the car in the US if you have Mexican insurance?
Insurance could end up taking your entire budget.
I'm a recent widow looking at retirement in Rosarito on $1400 a month. Is this even a possibility? I need some advice please.

The area is so close to the U.S. I would think you could just cross over to the U.S. for medical issues, although the out of pocket cost of medical care in Mexico is very reasonable. You don't actually qualify for the Mexican Medical system yet , it sounds like you are not even a visitor yet, but those costs are reasonable.

As for your car,once again , being so close to the U.S. might mean your U.S. car insurance will cover you, as a tourist visitor just crossing the border. Check with your insurance company about coverage while visiting Mexico. If you want to go beyond the border areas that all changes. If you decided to actually live in Mexico you would need a import sticker for your car if you go beyond the border and would need Mexican as well as U.S. auto insurance unless you are driving a Mexican car and visiting the U.S.. I would think it would be doable, but you have to think about your bottom line. What do you mean by private insurance ? A company that jets you back to the U.S.?  Is paying out of pocket for the unanticipated illness an option? And do you want to live in Mexico or just visit ?

Perhaps you should just visit and see what you think. If you speak Spanish that would be a plus, but many in that area are bilingual.

I'm covered by Medicare so not an expert on what you are asking.  However, from what I have learned routine medical treatment in Rosarito area is reasonable and good.  I will probably just pay out of pocket for anything I need in MX.  You might consider a catastrophic plan that covers you in the US for something big. 

Blue Cross also has an expat plan called GeoBlue you might want to look at.

Your US car insurance will not cover you in Mexico.  You will need at least PD & PL in the US and then get Mexican car insurance.  My US company does offer Mexican coverage through a 3rd party.  But I haven't priced it yet since we aren't spending a lot of time in MX yet. 

Once we do I might look at coverage with    www.discoverybaja.com

I have been told that you must carry US auto coverage and Mexican if you're traveling back and forth. This is a huge expense that I never even considered. It can be a couple of hundred dollars a month!

I guess the big difference is in CA if you get stopped or have an accident without valid insurance you're not going to jail, which could happen in MX.  I am not sure if MX insurance could give you a rider for short term US travel.  My USAA auto insurance will provide me with MX insurance coverage via a third party subsidiary.  I haven't had the need so can't comment on cost.  They are also my lien holder so I wanted a letter from them saying it's OK to take the car into MX, which they had no problem.   

I know Discover Baja in San Diego will sell you polices up to six months travel in MX per year.  I am guessing you have to notify them when you enter and leave MX.  I haven't priced it and they give discounts for SENTRI pass holders.  Our next trip we plan to drive our car so I will probably price it with them and with USAA.   

We usually rent from Budget at San Diego airport and drive over.  Budget charges about $19 a day for MX coverage.  Obviously it's higher from a rental agency and I could probably find it cheaper, but it's not worth the hassle for 4-5 days.

Jasmine1955, I would start in Rosarito. Rent,explore Ensenada,and other areas and then make up your mind.Also look at Playas de Tijuana,Very close to Rosarito closer to the USA.Since you will be close to USA you can use your medicare if you have it.Other medical means is to buy an Obama policy or if you apply for residency you could buy medical through the Seguro Social. In Tijuana they are building a 25 story Medical Facility right at the San Ysidro border crossing.Also for just meds or common illness you can go to the Pharmacy doctor in your neighborhood for about $5 usd.

Now ,car insurance. If you own your car then it will cost you about $200 a year for minimum us coverage. Mexican insurance is about the same, Also here in baja you can keep your us plates if you want and don't need to import your vehicle.
Good Luck.

To jamesr3939 , where is the Las Palmas you speak of?   :unsure Thanks Dan

Jasmin1955, 2 be condo 1/2 block from beach
$500usd.

TEXTOMEX wrote:

To jamesr3939 , where is the Las Palmas you speak of?   :unsure Thanks Dan

Technically, in Popotla.  If you look for Tapanco Steak House it's right next door.  I am thinking it's the first high raise condo north of the Fox Studios.

I'm not sure what you mean...can you send a link to the info

I am looking for reasonable priced furnished accommodations in Rosarito Beach from 450-550 & maybe a little more if the place is right for me. 2 bedroom 2 bath is important with a view of the ocean. I can walk a little distance to the beach 1/4 mile would be ok and l would like to live in a gated community. I would like to live near a local organic farmers market.

Thanks in advance for assisting me.

I just signed up with the expats forum and just read your post. I am looking for something very similar to what you have. I love the San Diego weather and Rosarito Beach is quite similar. I would like to be within walking distance to the beach.

Thank you for your assistance.
Wayshower

Wayshower wrote:

I am looking for reasonable priced furnished accommodations in Rosarito Beach from 450-550 & maybe a little more if the place is right for me. 2 bedroom 2 bath is important with a view of the ocean. I can walk a little distance to the beach 1/4 mile would be ok and l would like to live in a gated community. I would like to live near a local organic farmers market.

Thanks in advance for assisting me.

Good luck. I doubt that there is an organic farmers market in Rosarito. $450 - $550 maybe for an unfurnished place. But you can go to the second hand store and purchase very reasonably. Can't think of any gated community in Rosarito for that price. maybe $1,000 gets gated.

Good Luck.

Hello,
My husband and I are thinking of exploring the Rosarita and Ensenada area. Do you think this area still has room for growth (as in housing prices increasing) or is it at the top of the market already due to American demand for being close to the border? 
Also any updates on this new hospital that's being built on Tijuana? I am a nurse fromCanada and healthcare is very important to me.
Thanks in advance

Health2018 wrote:

Hello, My husband and I are thinking of exploring the Rosarita and Ensenada area. Do you think this area still has room for growth (as in housing prices increasing) or is it at the top of the market already due to American demand for being close to the border?

Nobody has a crystal ball for housing prices.  Rosarito suffered during the last housing recession and took much longer to recover because "second" homes were not a necessity.   

I can tell you from personal experience in the last two years prices have continued to rise.  We deposited two years ago on a pre-construction 1900 sq ft condo on the beach in a complex with all the amenities you would want.  Our purchase price was $217,000.  The builder has completed two other towers which one is sold out and the other is 90% sold out and our tower is 95% sold out.  The same unit we bought is now selling for $285,000.  In two additional planned towers the unit is listed pre-construction for $254,000.  There are also new move in ready units in several very nice complexes for under $200,000.  Take a look at www.baja123.com they are who we used.  Talk to Ken Husman about some units at Los Olas Grand for $183,000.     

You really can't find oceanfront high rise condo's for sale north of the border that are affordable for most people.  So, people of north of the border will always be looking south of the border for a good deal.  Not just for housing, but overall cost of living.  I'm no real estate expert, but the area you want to explore seems to still have lots of growth potential.

Health2018 wrote:

Hello,
My husband and I are thinking of exploring the Rosarita and Ensenada area. Do you think this area still has room for growth (as in housing prices increasing) or is it at the top of the market already due to American demand for being close to the border? 
Also any updates on this new hospital that's being built on Tijuana? I am a nurse fromCanada and healthcare is very important to me.
Thanks in advance

Still lots of opportunity for growth. The new medical facility is being built by Panamanian interests.
It will be a 25 story facility. If you have a Mexican work permit you can enjoy an annual salary of about $15,000 a year for 50 hrs a week or you can go 5 miles North and make $70,000 a year working 40 hrs a week. Your choice either way you are helping people.
Good Luck

Chilangolite wrote:

Jasmine1955, I would start in Rosarito. Rent,explore Ensenada,and other areas and then make up your mind.Also look at Playas de Tijuana,Very close to Rosarito closer to the USA.Since you will be close to USA you can use your medicare if you have it.Other medical means is to buy an Obama policy or if you apply for residency you could buy medical through the Seguro Social. In Tijuana they are building a 25 story Medical Facility right at the San Ysidro border crossing.Also for just meds or common illness you can go to the Pharmacy doctor in your neighborhood for about $5 usd.

Now ,car insurance. If you own your car then it will cost you about $200 a year for minimum us coverage. Mexican insurance is about the same, Also here in baja you can keep your us plates if you want and don't need to import your vehicle.
Good Luck.

Interested in who provides car insurance for $200. Moving to Rosarito end of March and want to spent the lowest amount on US insurance so that having both doesn't drain my wallet.

Me too, best I could find for an annual plan was $440 for Mexico only.  I haven't checked to see if my US company will cut me a break if I'm in Mexico 6-8 months out of the year.

I'm moving to Rosarito at the end of the month. Plan on getting Mexican auto insurance for while I'm there and looking for low cost us car insurance for when I drive my car back and forth across the border.

I'm exploring the idea of UBER back to the border ($20) and renting a car on the US side if I need it.  Seems to be much cheaper that buying US car insurance.

That would be if we are doing a long trip into the US to visit kids.  Otherwise I think UBER to the border, walk across, and UBER to where I want to go on the US side.

Most insurance companies that border Mexico will offer Mexican insurance for a reasonable price. I suggest you talk to 3 different companies and then you will get a good idea. Also the type of coverage will determine your ultimate price. I usually go for the minimum that the law requires. Also check with companies in Mexico to see what they offer.

We will be in Rosarito May 19 - 25, to look for possible places to rent for next winter, December through March. We would want a 2 BR, 2 BA ocean front/ocean view.  Most likely a condo, but possibly a house. So far I have RosaritoRealty, BajaBrokers and Baja123 as possible rental agents. There seem to be too many condo developments to count. Does anyone have any recommendations for places/agents/areas we should (or shouldn't) check out.

Thanks,
Hack

We are using Baja123 and our agent is Ken Huseman.  He's been great.  We purchased at La Jolla Excellence pre construction two years ago and he's been holding our hand everytime we go down.   When we did our house hunting trips we gave him our parameters and he never showed us anything outside of those.  A couple of places he has hooked us up with to stay were at Califia and Las Palmas.  We have also looked at Los Olais Grand but haven't stayed there.  Last weekend I was able to find a place at La Jolla Real, which is just next to our future place, and it was great.  But places for rent in either La Jolla Del Mar or La Jolla Real are hard to come by.  Ken's wife works for a property management company so she also has plenty of contacts for rentals.  If you talk to Ken tell him Jim & Liz sent you.

Thanks Jamesr. I sent an email to Ken and told him you recommended  him.

Cool, let me know if you don't hear back right away.  I think they had to change all their EMails due to getting spamed.  I use "kenny@" and not the one with his full name.   He's also great at texting.

Thanks again, Jamesr. I used the kenny@ email. If I haven't heard in a few days I'll text him.

The only response to my email queries about rentals in Rosarito next winter said it was too early to start looking. 'Interesting about different places. In  Puerto Vallarta,  where we spent the last three winters, most people think you need to have your reservations for the next year sewed up before you leave at the end of March. It could be the climate. PV has a definite high season that runs December or January until the end of March.

Except for the La Jolla complexes I haven't seen where it would be a problem, at least from looking at VRBO.  There are always plenty with most saying they would prefer "long term".

Hi everyone. My wife and I are thinking about spending next winter in Rosarito. Were wondering; if you have a tourist visa (FMM), can you go in and out to San Diego on the same one, if it is still within 6 months, or do you need to get a new one every time you leave and come back in?

Thanks,
Hack

EHHackney wrote:

Hi everyone. My wife and I are thinking about spending next winter in Rosarito. Were wondering; if you have a tourist visa (FMM), can you go in and out to San Diego on the same one, if it is still within 6 months, or do you need to get a new one every time you leave and come back in?

Thanks,
Hack

INM - Mexican Immigration allows multiple exits and re-entries into Mexico on a 180 FMM tourist card in Baja.

Cool!  Thanks Alleycat1.

We're in Baja this week to check it out as a place to spend next winter. I don't think Rosarito will be the answer for us. But we drove to Ensenada today and, depending on the availability and cost of rentals, it might be a real possibility!

The adventure continues!

We have a brand new condo in a high rise right on the ocean. 2bd 2 ba, fully and tastefully furnished, and is available for short or long term rental beginning in Jan 2020, price is $1700 per month for minimum three months, or $2200 for one month. 24 hour security and gated, right across the street from the new Rosarito convention center north of Rosarito.