Moving to South of Spain and Opening an Airbnb

Hello everybody!
I currently live in the UK, and I am originally from Hungary. My plans for the next 2 years are to move to Spain and run my own AIRBNB there.
I currently work as an engineer in London.
I have saved a good deal of money (350k e) and I was looking at gradually buying a 2 bedroom flat in costa del sol, maybe somewhere around Denia, move in there and not pay any rent, and then buy a 2-3 bedroom villa with shared pool and rent it out on Airbnb or booking .  com .
OR to first buy the villa, rent it out to some agency while I am still in the UK, and if it goes well then move to Spain , buy my own small 2bedroom flat and manage the Airbnb?
I want to do this together with my girlfriend. Chances are, she will, if possible transfer within her current company to their office in Alicante.
I will also have a monthly income from a flat I am renting, of about 500 euros per month.

Do you guys think, since many have probably thought and maybe even did what I am proposing, that this is a good plan? Or do you think I am a fool to think it would be possible to work for myself at an AIRbnb and enjoy the sun at the same time?
If it goes well, I would also look at opening a small nice coffee shop somewhere around Denia or maybe further in the south, depending on where we will settle. Would this work?

What do you think are the chances for an endeavour such as this to succeed?
Many thanks in advance!
Alex

I have just answered a similar question in this link. There are regulations you have to abide by. You will have to pay taxes over the rental. So maybe you have to set up a company, maybe you be best to go self employed. This linkwill give you some information.
How much Spanish (language) do you have? Being fluent would help you run any business especially what you call a coffee shop but here it is called a cafe/pasteleria/bar. Coffee shop has another meaning, even through they are not permitted.  ;)
To run a any business which handles food you will need a certificate for that too. It is a European wide requirement. Wikipedia in Spanish.

Thank you for your reply.

I am aware that obviously there will be bureaucracy and paperwork to be done. What I was more keen to find out was whether such a thing would be feasible and whether it would be enough to survive of? Especially the Airbnb in the first instance.

Many thanks,

alexdd929 wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

I am aware that obviously there will be bureaucracy and paperwork to be done. What I was more keen to find out was whether such a thing would be feasible and whether it would be enough to survive of? Especially the Airbnb in the first instance.

Many thanks,

Yep a million dollar question. 💰 💶 👛
It depends on so many things.
Your prices, overheads, your lifestyle, competition, area, market, will you have a USP?, maybe more.
I do think some must make a living from it, but I doubt if they would run around in a flash car, huge house, etc. Certainly will not be millionaires. More happy with their lot and ok, not on the bread line.  If those are your doubts then why not take time off work stay in the area of choice and look around, ask around, stay in several vacation rentals talk to these owners. Never stay with an absent owner who is perhaps not living near by.

Thank you so much.
Well I will go for 3 weeks in June to explore the costa del sol part of spain.
I have arranged for several Airbnb/booking.com accommodations to stay at people, but it was so fully booked that I couldn't find those ones where I could share with the landlord, or maybe he will be around but I just don't know it.
I will have to meet them to get a key so I will definitely ask questions.

I am not the kind of person who wants flashy and expensive stuff.
I want to do something I really love (this would be it).
The only thing I want out of it would be to cover for the expenses.
Since I will not be paying rent, food/expenses would be perfectly fine in the beginning.

When i booked this trip, I was surprised to see that, for example in Denia, so many of the properties were already booked (7 months in advance!) which made me hopeful that an airbnb would work.

Don't assume it will always work with Airbnb. Barcelona has realised that many properties are not longer being let to the local population because owners are taking bigger profits with Airbnb. There are thinking of taxing Airbnb business higher to slow it down. I went to an investors meeting in Valencia last week for people looking to buy a second lettable property and they were saying that Valencia might rule in the same way that Barcelona is thinking. You have a huge hotel industry where you are looking to set up business and they can put a lot of pressure on local councils to make it more difficult for you. Sorry it is not a definitive answer, but just to be aware.

Mike you have a good point. However as I understand it AirBnB is used as an eponym for a vacation rental house/villa/apartment/ flat .
This sort of business will not disappear as there are just not enough hotels. But the social pressure is certainly on something changing especially in the larger cities of the world.

Here is the actual law for the Valencian region, in Spanish.

http://www.dogv.gva.es/portal/ficha_dis … 09&L=1

Also note that in Andalusia one of the requirements is that all guests must be recorded at the local police station too, something they are thinking about adding elsewhere.

THanks all for your replies.
This idea of declaring the people to the police station...
How on earth will you do that if someone comes just for a day?
or if they book last minute?
Doesn't it sound ridiculous ?
What will happen to all the airbnb-ers out there in the south of spain?
Could this mean that all the properties have to be "managed" by management companies?
Or letting the police know is a simple action such as opening a website and inputting the names there?

Many countries are tightening up with Airbnb, the main reason is with tax evasion. It's well worth reading up on the rules in the country. Have a look this LINK.

you will get access to a website run by the police. You obtain details before the guests enter or as they enter. All Spanish hotels obtain details when you enter. You are not allowed to copy the passport for security reasons.
Why dose this seem ridiculous to you? Every EU country has it's own regulations covering all sorts of things. Wait until you move here, maybe this will not seem such a big deal ;)
As I said registration of guests is done by hotels. This has nothing to do with tax, as stated above. The tax office will never ask to see the registration forms. So that is one thing positive. :top:

RibeiraSacra wrote:

you will get access to a website run by the police. You obtain details before the guests enter or as they enter. All Spanish hotels obtain details when you enter. You are not allowed to copy the passport for security reasons.
Why dose this seem ridiculous to you? Every EU country has it's own regulations covering all sorts of things. Wait until you move here, maybe this will not seem such a big deal ;)
As I said registration of guests is done by hotels. This has nothing to do with tax, as stated above. The tax office will never ask to see the registration forms. So that is one thing positive. :top:

I think i just projected the "rage" people had on other forums, that I just read.
They made it be a really big deal.
Also here it has been made a big deal out of it. :)

What are the chances of them introducing a law similar to the one in the Balearic Islands and Barcelona, making it impossible to rent anything in AIRBNB?

I have arranged for several Airbnb/booking.com accommodations to stay at people, but it was so fully booked that I couldn't find those ones where I could share with the landlord, or maybe he will be around but I just don't know it.

I think i just projected the "rage" people had on other forums, that I just read.
They made it be a really big deal.
Also here it has been made a big deal out of it.

Both of the above are quotes from you. Do you really think that holiday makers would reserve places which would be irritating for them? It is the ones who are thinking about starting a business who are angry. Have you read on TripAdvior  where the vacationer is unhappy with this?
Registering of guests is not the only obstacle you will have to over come. Read a post by Martin, on the AirBnB link. He is from Galicia too and he is writes about regulations he is having to apply by.
Information about other areas in the same link SIMCity gave.

Thank you for your message. Will keep on reading.
I was just reading that people panic regarding these laws. That is all.

Every region has it's own laws for renting property for vacation purposes.
In Galicia they are now doing inspections via the likes of AirBnB and other websites to find and fine the illegally run properties.
https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/g … 3P5991.htm