Looking to rent or buy long term in Spain

Hi! We are Canadian looking to rent or buy long term in Spain. Any thoughts as to where to start, what we need to consider, how to plan from now, etc.

Pebbleshak

Hello Pebbleshak,

Welcome on board !

Please note that I have created a new thread from your post on the Spain forum since you posted on an inactive thread.

Where are you looking to rend or buy ?

For a good start, I would recommend that you read the articles of the Accommodation in Spain section of the Living in Spain guide for expats.

All the best

Bhavna

@Pebbleshak

Spain's a lovely country, so there are many great places where you can enjoy your new life!

Unless you already have a pretty good idea of where/what you want, it might be good to start with a long-term rental, or even a couple of months of moving around with Airbnb.

The "costas" are very popular, so this might be a good place to look. There are many, but the best known are: Costa del Sol (Marbella/Malaga area) is very popular with expats; Costa Blanca (Alicante/Valencia area); Costa Brava (Barcelona north to France) and Costa Dorada (Barcelona south to Tarragona). All of these coastal cities are good, and there are plenty of delightful smaller towns and villages nearby.

A very popular property website is Idealista which has lots of listings all over Spain, for both sales and rentals. It's great for research so you can see what you can get for your budget in various places.

@Pebbleshak

Hi Pebbleshak!

I've been living in Badalona, the next city over to the north of Barcelona, right on the beach, since 2019. There are many bad parts of town higher up in the mointuain, but close to the beach it's a true paradise.

There are no tourists, no drunks, no party scene. It's tranquil, silent, we sleep at night with the windows opened without hearing a noise other than birds on sunrise. Safe, the beach is actually superior to Barceloneta's, and property values are about 40% lower than Barcelona.

We live in a neighbourhood called 'Pep Ventura', which is mega traditional yet everyone is lovely (a rare thing in Catalunya), there's everything one might need in walking distance, and the beach is not just gorgeous, there's a nudist bit at the end which 100% family oriented- noone stares, entire families go together, we look after each other's stuff, everyone knows each other... it's home.

It takes about 40 minutes by metro and 15 by car to reach the center of Barcelona, but it's worth it. Just to be in peace, and as I mentioned, we rarely ever need to go into Barcelona, and usually it's for leisure, as one can find everything one might need here in Badalona.

Good neighbourhoods: Port (all new constrictios), Pep Ventura (traditional middle class), Centro (bit of everything), Casagemes (*VERY* traditional, upper class with even some exquisite, large centuries old homes). All of these neighbourhoods are beach-front.

Hope to have helped!

I am looking for something around Valencia for long term rental myself, so any ideas of places to look on transit routes (I do not plan to get a car)

thanks!

@Bhavna

looking to rent long term pet friendly. have two well train dogs. 1 large 1 small . no chewers lol

two cats well behaved.

im a single female 73 havent chosen area yet want to leave US in a year or less

@gwynj

thank you