New members of the Vietnam forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

@JACKSTILLMAN
I STRONGLY urge you to get a list of international & diplomat schools in VN and audit them for yourself for 30 days. Most schools will allow you to visit them if you are nice enough to write them an email. Great opportunity for you to make a more informed decision, as well as demonstrate the nightmare you are considering.

@gobot
I wish I was "wise" ... Maybe one day! but sadly today isnt that day, and tomorrow does not appear like it will be much better.

When I tried to transfer my Chinese visa to my new passport they wouldn't do it. They said I needed to carry both passports. I guess I won't be visiting China again. Too much trouble to carry two passports.

JayJones wrote:

@JACKSTILLMAN
I STRONGLY urge you to get a list of international & diplomat schools in VN and audit them for yourself for 30 days.

Thanks mate. What's the difference between an International and a Diplomat school?

To be honest I was considering a home schooling option. I consider most formal schooling options a royal waste of time. But do I have the patience? haha 😂

Rick Hayward wrote:

When I tried to transfer my Chinese visa to my new passport they wouldn't do it. They said I needed to carry both passports. I guess I won't be visiting China again. Too much trouble to carry two passports.

I was simply pointing out how easy it is to trace the history of an email address ( I am a stickler about privacy ), and worse i am always concerned about Expats especially in an environment rife with expat targeting.

JACKSTILLMAN wrote:

Thanks mate. What's the difference between an International and a Diplomat school?

Marketing!
International Schools - are "marketed toward children of foreign students".
Diplomat Schools - are marketed toward the children of diplomats / and diplomat staff ( added bonus of having armed security in the event of a crisis ). This does not imply that locals do not attend but is usually only available to the locals that can actually pay such hefty tuition fees.

I am unfamiliar with the standards of both of these types of schools in Viet Nam, which is why I am urging you to go and "audit" them on your own. ( They will allow you, but you do have to make a formal request [Email Request] and they will organize it for you upon your visit )

In terms of "educational standards" .... Viet Nam will have about a 70% decrease in "standards" compared to your Home Nation.... this is generally only applicable if/when you want to transfer to another school in another nation. I am unfamiliar with "homeschool" laws in Viet Nam, so I can not give you advice one way or another.

JayJones wrote:

*snip*
...I can not give you advice one way or another

Say it isn't so!! 😱

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Say it isn't so!! 😱

IT AINT SO ( LOL ) .... I am actually honestly curious about the concept of "homeschooling" in VietNam ... I have never thought of this idea until the moment he stated it... NOW I WANT TO KNOW!

If you wanted to do this in a nation like USA, you are required to inform the state you reside in, and submit your curriculum planner ( I assume this means that it has to meet their standards [ implies "permission"] ).

Under what guidelines ( are there any? ) in which a parent wishes to teach their child on their own in Viet Nam? Are there even any homeschooled children in Viet Nam?

PS: I found several media articles about parents homeschooling: http://english.vov.vn

I am still digging around.

Perhaps you could enquire about distance education from WA.

Distance / Differences are "DRASTIC" ...

to give an idea of how drastic .... look at it in terms of Requirements for a Viet to study abroad ( 2 years of higher education [ university] ).... Which implies that an "AA degree" in vietnam is equivalent to a High School diploma in most Western nations. ( Also applies to most AUS Universities )

While Australia is not officially a part of the Bologna Accrediting Process, this is ONLY because AUS has found a way to shrink a 4 year degree into 3 years ( Bologna Process is strict about credited classroom hours )  ... But, many EU & US Universities have specifically cited that the vast majority of those same 3 year students are on Par with EU & US students ( Perhaps someone should be looking into how Australia is capable of doing what we can not ).

Hello all, I'm Kiwi Will (KiWill!).  I'm from NZ and my name's Will.  I have been in Saigon just under 2 weeks now.  I am here on the English teaching band wagon :)  I hope to be here long term, a couple years at least.

This is my 3rd time in Vietnam, so coming here to teach was a reasonably easy choice for me to make.  There's a lot to love and hate about Vietnam, but the love far outweighs the hate!  Which is why I came here to teach English.  New lifestyle, new adventure, new career.

I just moved into a new share house yesterday.  In the long run it was the cheaper option than living in a hotel until I landed a job here.  Even though it's cosy, and satisfies my immediate needs, I will definitely be looking to upgrade after I sort out a job.

I'm a graduate from the University of Otago - so if there any expats on here who'd like to catch up over a beer who studied in Dunedin, let's reminisce about couch burnings!  Also I recently graduated with my TESOL from the Kangan Institute in Melbourne.  So if there are any Melbourneans here, let's catch up for a beer also!

Hope to get to utilise this platform a bit.  Get to know a few of you also. 

Thanks for your attention!

Will

Fantastic. Thanks @JayJones.

Yeah I am a bit of an anomaly when it comes to my kids educations in formalised school. I thinks it is, for the most part, a time killer. Most schools have 6-7 hours a day to waste on rubbish activities. Hence my consideration of homeschooling. I think her education beyond the 3 R's would be enormously enhanced through living in another country for 12 months were she in a formal schooling environment or not.

Nevertheless, I take your counsel and will make time to visit the local educational offerings.

Many thanks

JS

Hi Sonny,

Living in Hanoi since two months ago. I was busy settling and getting to know my new working environment, but now I am ready to know nice new friends. So I just registered and saw you message and was wondering if in the end you manage to find that group or you just created a new one. I agree with you, it would be nice to share some new expreniences with new friends! :)

Hi everybody. My name is Nhat
I am currently working for a media company
Nice to meet you all

Hi everyone my name is Graham Mackenzie  and I'm from the Scottish Borders UK , I have just moved to Dalat in the Lam Dong province of Vietnam. I would like to meet expats living here to gain knowledge of housing and work here. I'm looking for a new chalange in sales, marketing, or anything involved with the public. Previously I was in the oil & gas exploration and was lucky to travel the world from Brazil Argentina to virtually all of Asia. I have much experience meeting people and many adventure stories but would now like a new career chalange .
Being a Mackenzie I like what we call a “wee dram” of whisky 🥃 especially single malt and would love to find a nice bar to accommodate.
Looking forward to meeting you All and hope we  can share our interesting life stories .
Thanks,
Graham

Hi all, my name is Minh and I'm 29 years old. For now, I'm living and working in Melbourne, Australia as a clinical hospital pharmacist. 

I left Vietnam alone 14 years ago and I'm planning for my return to give myself a chance to reconnect, and explore the possibility to settle here long term.

I'm curious to learn more about the pharmaceutical industry in Vietnam and what hospital pharmacist job are like in HCMC. I'm currently studying executive MBA with RMIT university and will plan to complete it in Vietnam in the near future.   

I'm very pleased to find this space where everyone can learn from and share each other experience as they embark on their new journey in Vietnam. Hopefully I will get meet some of you one day once I finally move there.

Cheers,
M

Fake drugs are a huge problem in the VN pharmaceutical industry. Vietnamese language print media and online news are full of fake drug reports. It's very sad really, as it has undermined trust for all pharmaceutical products produced in VN.

Hi Minaboo,
Don't know how our threads got crossed but any way I know a friend in HCMC who is in the pharmaceutical line of business as I know she was studying for it
If you want I will try and put you two in touch.
Her name is Hue
Let me know any way
Good luck 👍🏻
Graham

Hi Ralph, the public healthcare system and standard there is indeed quite poor, underfunded and overstretched. Last time there, I had an encounter when my relative (local) got admitted in HCMC big hospitals. I got on their ambo (let's just say minimal equipped is not an overstatement here) for a quick hospital transfer. The experience scarred me for life as a western health practitioner and it's impact was profound in learning how the locals battling their daily life while seeking for health.
So back onto my story, my ambition would be bring what I know in Australia and hopefully contribute to a positive change to the Vietnam health system.

Hi Graham, it's nice to learn abit about your stories via ur post. The world is round so some of us is bound to cross path one way or another. About hooking up with Hue, it will be a delight to make some connection in vietnam early as apart from me stalking local pharmacies and a bit of FB group stories, I have not got a chance to learn from anyone there about their work and the opportunity. Thank you for the opportunity that you bring. I hope you are well and truly enjoying your life in Việt Nam!

No problem Minaboo,
She does not speak much English just Vietnamese , do you have weechat as that is the only link I have for her .
What will be the best way for you two to get in contact. She lives in District one (De Tham Q1). I don't want to give her exact address on public chat

Regards

Graham

FYI Gmackuk & Minaboo
You can send each other private messages (PMs) by clicking on the other's name, then mash the "Send a message" button. Private as regards other users; I wouldn't expect privacy from expat.com admins of course.

Thanks !
Good advice as I'm new to this site and that's good to know especially with e mail addresses and contact I formation
Cheers for the info

Hi all,

A newbie here! Will be moving to Hanoi end of this month and super excited!
I'm from east coast of US and enjoy meeting friends from all backgrounds.
Almost forget to mention my name. Sean it is.
See you guys around!

Hi I am Richard. Currently live in Darwin Australia but I have travelled to Vietnam often over the past 10 years. Looking to retire there in late May-early-June 2018, and will be looking around northern Nha Trang for an apartment to rent. Looking forward to living in Nha Trang and meeting other expats living there. Cheers

Vinh Hoa is a new, triangular shaped residential area on the coast 8km north of Nha Trang. It's quiet, but an easy ride into to town by bicycle, bus or motorbike. You can find it on Google Earth. Then switch to Google Maps to locate Kiwi Bar, which is shown west of Nguyen An Streets and south of Bui Huy Bich Street. You could ask in there if they know of any places for rent.

KIWI BAR ,34 DUONG DE,
ph. + 849 3810 3246

Vinh Phuoc suburb, , borders Bai Duong (Ocean Beach) 4kms north of town and is a pleasant enough suburb. If you wish to avoid the Russian tourists, swim early like the locals do.

Other than that, just cruise around whatever area you choose to live in and look for signs saying, "Nha cho thue" (House for rent) or "Can cho thue" (flat for rent).

Hi My name is Kimberly - I plan on taking an abroad summer law course and coming with my 6 year old son from may until July.  Staying in Hoi Chi Ming City in the 1st district. 
Interested in finding a daycare/camp/provider for him - any suggestions/help ?
by Liberty Parkview.

Hi, I'm Jeremy and I would just like to introduce myself to the community.

I am a Malaysian that is currently considering moving to Saigon on a more permanent basis for business purposes. My Business partner and I have managed to line up several Vietnamese factories (both in Saigon and Ha Noi) and we would like to be able to set up a 100% foreign owned private limited trading firm here so we can facilitate finances, visa's and hiring of personnel.

I have been to Saigon and Ha Noi 3 times since December , staying on average about 2 weeks each visit just to get a feel of the place.

Does anyone know or experienced any reputable business lawyers that could assist in my endeavours? as I understand from my readings, a decent law firm will charge about 7,000-10,000USD and the process will take about 2 months to complete and will require that I find a business premise first.

Please PM me if you can help. Ca phe sua da on me!

Any advise on pitfalls to look for is immensely appreciated.

Cheers!

Hi, Brian here.  In NYC.  I couldn't join due to broken Terms and Conditions link.  Would prefer to join rather than use Facebook to login.  Can you bring this to the attention of your webmaster, please.  cảm ơn bạn

Hello

My name is Greg I am thinking about moving to VN. I would like to run a small business
but I will do some sightseeing first and get a better feel for the place.
I have been to VN before.

Glad to be on this site - nice to meet you all.

Hi guys,

A new Vietnamese friend here!!

My Vietnamese name is Duyen. I am a connector, content marketer, and a real Vietnamese friend of you.

Actually, I am looking for a job right now in Saigon, also wanna get acquainted with all guys :D I have many tips to live here and welcome to share ^^

P/s: I love spots and English

Cheers!!

JaneHoang9 wrote:

P/s: I love spots and English

What are "spots"?

hello every one, i'm a circular knitting machine sales person, and vietnam is a main target market, so in one year I have many times will go to vietnam sepcially hochimin, hope can konw more and more friend in vietnam... thanks

badminton, yoga and walking dear :)

Bobby-JIXIN wrote:

i'm a circular knitting machine sales person, and vietnam is a main target market, so in one year I have many times will go to vietnam sepcially hochimin, hope can konw more and more friend in vietnam... thanks

Vietnam is a "main target market" for circular knitting machine?  Never in a million years.  I'm a proficient handknitter (designed my patterns, made all of my knitwear) and had to leave my knitting supplies in the States since there's no use for them here.

Da Lat used to be the only place in VN where the second most popular activity and source of income for the local women was knitting.  Now, no one there can make a living knitting anymore.

Even when I grew up here, there were very few knitters outside of Da Lat.  I have a feeling the number of knitters now can be regarded as insignificant.  I met one crocheter in Saigon since we moved here, and have yet to see anyone who wears handknit clothing (not designer label handknit.)

Have I got something wrong here on this site or simply posting in the wrong department?

I first asked about a social gathering and now I'm getting replies about knitting machines 🤔 haha
Guess I will have to take up knitting to meet people hahaha

Gmackuk wrote:

Have I got something wrong here on this site or simply posting in the wrong department?

I first asked about a social gathering and now I'm getting replies about knitting machines 🤔 haha
Guess I will have to take up knitting to meet people hahaha

You would have a better chance meeting people from this forum than by finding knitters.

My reply to that poster above was due to his/her strange statement of coming to Vietnam to sell circular knitting machines.  Strange, indeed.

Hi

I am a newly retired Australian woman and am considering coming to live in Vietnam for a few months or maybe more.  I haven't been to Vietnam since 2000 so realise it will not be exactly like I remember.  At this stage I am not sure where I would settle but perhaps Hoi An but I want to have a base and then do short trips to other areas.  I need to take into consideration that I will probably be there Dec- Feb so that my son and his family can visit for about 4 weeks over the long summer school break.  My son needs some major dental work so I am not really sure if Hoi An would be the best place and if I should chose a a bigger city.  I love Hanoi but the grandkids are beach kids and live in a very small rural community, so I thought a town/city near the coast would be the best option.  Any ideas given the time of year and weather and then access to an excellent dental clinic.  I have plenty of time as I will not be going until the end of 2019.

Marg

Perhaps a member of the forum can advise you on dentists in Danang, a cheap, 30km city bus ride from Hoi An. Summer in Oz is wintet in Central VN, with frequent storms and rough seas. It is not generally good beach weather. Best choose accommodation with a pool.

Hi,
We were in Da nang last year looking for a Dentist, found that tourist dental work was common. Prices similar to Australia and hygiene practices lacking. We were advised to wait until we were in HCM. Looking around, still found expensive and lacking hygiene practices. We chanced upon a Dentist who primarily looked after local Vn people and was not particularly interested in tourists.
My wife had extensive work done and I had clean and fillings, clean hygienic surroundings and a fraction of the price others wanted.
Look for the heading Dentist in HCM for location and price details...
Mike

Thanks.  Yes realised that the weather would not be great but plenty of time to work out options.

Lol...sport spots...

Closed