AMA - Binh Duong

:cool:

Teacher Mark wrote:

I just finished a stint with them and they have refused to pay my salary.  If you work for them, or any of the AMA franchises, you should be very careful.

Students should avoid them as well, in my opinion.  They seemed uninterested in making sure the teachers were equipped with the essentials, like textbooks.  They're in it strictly for the money and not for the good of Vietnam and it's students.

I'm extremely disappointed with the state of the English centers and schools these days, to the point of disillusionment.  This my be my swan song, because I'm not going to be swindled, or be a part of the swindling of students.  I loved my job at one time and I loved this country at one time.  Both seem like distant memories that can't be recaptured or rekindled...:(

So this must have been you.

http://vietnam.craigslist.org/edu/4162407550.html

in response to this AMA ad

http://vietnam.craigslist.org/edu/4162307448.html

Well, if money isn't tight for you, how about recapturing some of that passion to share your English skills by volunteering? 

http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=316118

I'm going to check out a temple in BRVT Province (the thread is looking for a Teacher in District 4 which is a little far for me) this Saturday and see if a "volunteer teaching" gig is beneficial to poor disadvantaged kids.  Not committing to anything yet though...just scouting.

Teacher Mark tell me more.
I have been in touch with AMA( American Academy ) this is the place you speak of?
They have a Centre in Da Nang and seem ok, but please put me in the picture to give me some idea of what they are like.
Would be nice to know before I commit to anything.

Reputed language centers always try to cheat teachers and students :D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1280840_433100520139967_1385325476_n.png

Yes, they do have a bad reputation, seems that money is the main reason for them operating,not education.

This is one of the reasons I am anti-television.  Why are you on your fat ass watching television when you should be teaching your kids?  Why are teachers busting their humps while you do nothing?  You should be beside your kids tutoring/supporting the lessons the teacher is trying to impart.  If every parent did this for those minutes of watching television, teachers can get some relaxation after marking all homework papers 10/100%. 

I think it used to be this way in the 1950s before mass television consumption.

z

Teacher Mark wrote:
Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Well, if money isn't tight for you, how about recapturing some of that passion to share your English skills by volunteering? 

I'm going to check out a temple in BRVT Province (the thread is looking for a Teacher in District 4 which is a little far for me) this Saturday and see if a "volunteer teaching" gig is beneficial to poor disadvantaged kids.  Not committing to anything yet though...just scouting.

How did that work out?

Not bad.  At first I felt like I was walking into a con job.  The temple didn't progress anywhere beyond the "we'd want to teach English to disadvantaged kids" dream stage.  So most of the execution was up to me.  It's like a "If you build it, he will come" (Field of Dreams, 1989) kind of thing.  I had free reign on setting up a language program. 

So until the disadvantaged/poor kids hear about the program and come to sign up, my first class was basically a local neighborhood free English class.  There was a mix audience, so I started a basic English conversation class.  I didn't get anywhere beyond helping them introduce themselves verbally. 

Hel lo, mai nae ii ____. ii for tree yir ol. 

Okay everybody, let's emphasize our end sounds.  yuh ear sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

But anyways, I'm waiting for the poor/disadvantaged kids to show up so I can actually teach poor people for free versus just teach people for free.   The temple did feed me some good food so it's all cool.  I'm going back for more this Saturday (teaching, not food).

Now, are you inspired to volunteer and teach for free yet?

Teacher Mark wrote:

I just finished a stint with them and they have refused to pay my salary.  If you work for them, or any of the AMA franchises, you should be very careful.

Students should avoid them as well, in my opinion.  They seemed uninterested in making sure the teachers were equipped with the essentials, like textbooks.  They're in it strictly for the money and not for the good of Vietnam and it's students.

I'm extremely disappointed with the state of the English centers and schools these days, to the point of disillusionment.  This my be my swan song, because I'm not going to be swindled, or be a part of the swindling of students.  I loved my job at one time and I loved this country at one time.  Both seem like distant memories that can't be recaptured or rekindled...:(

Greetings,
I am currently working for AMA in Da Nang. I have found them to be a very honorable organization.  I enjoy working for and with them. The other teachers I know also enjoy working for them. I have seen a lot of negative comments about teaching jobs, however my experience has all been positive. Understanding that the value system is different than in the USA, I maintain strict adherence to my contract, teach what they want me to teach and strive to be a good employee.  Just  the opinion of one person, lived here for 13 months and been teaching for 3 months here.

There is a thread on Daves ESL about AMA, most people are saying they are a crap company. Maybe the one in Da Nang is run differently. I did a one day trial with them at a school in D7, it was the biggest waste of time, all they wanted was someone to sing and jump around with the kids. When I asked them what they wanted me to teach them, I was told they just wanted someone to sing and jump around.

colinoscapee wrote:

There is a thread on Daves ESL about AMA, most people are saying they are a crap company. Maybe the one in Da Nang is run differently. I did a one day trial with them at a school in D7, it was the biggest waste of time, all they wanted was someone to sing and jump around with the kids. When I asked them what they wanted me to teach them, I was told they just wanted someone to sing and jump around.

They can hire a college student for much less to sing and jump around.  So why you?

The point being, why even ask me to go there, thats the point.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

They can hire a college student for much less to sing and jump around.  So why you?

Singing and dancing.... There are many forms of realia that can be used in the classroom to capture your students attention.  My realia is always geared towards my lesson plan. My limited experience with teaching here tells me that people want to ignor the school rules and policy, complain about text books (real teachers can teach without a text book), violate there contract and still expect to get paid when they quit with no notice. Language centers are a business.  You have a contract. When you leave without the notice listed in you contract you are responsible for any lost income until a replacement is located.  Just thought I would give a reality check.

That was part of my plan to not only teach English to kids that can't afford going to school but also educate them on other subjects such as mathematics.

To be honest my spoken and written English isn't that great but just laying the foundation and basic should give them opportunities to explore more.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
Teacher Mark wrote:
Tran Hung Dao wrote:

How did that work out?

Not bad.  At first I felt like I was walking into a con job.  The temple didn't progress anywhere beyond the "we'd want to teach English to disadvantaged kids" dream stage.  So most of the execution was up to me.  It's like a "If you build it, he will come" (Field of Dreams, 1989) kind of thing.  I had free reign on setting up a language program. 

So until the disadvantaged/poor kids hear about the program and come to sign up, my first class was basically a local neighborhood free English class.  There was a mix audience, so I started a basic English conversation class.  I didn't get anywhere beyond helping them introduce themselves verbally. 

Hel lo, mai nae ii ____. ii for tree yir ol. 

Okay everybody, let's emphasize our end sounds.  yuh ear sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

But anyways, I'm waiting for the poor/disadvantaged kids to show up so I can actually teach poor people for free versus just teach people for free.   The temple did feed me some good food so it's all cool.  I'm going back for more this Saturday (teaching, not food).

Now, are you inspired to volunteer and teach for free yet?

Most language centers are just money making machines and dont give a damn about the students. Go onto Daves ESL and see what the feelings are on there on language mills.Most are badly run businesses that couldnt give a damn about students or teachers.

colinoscapee wrote:

Most language centers are just money making machines and dont give a damn about the students. Go onto Daves ESL and see what the feelings are on there on language mills.Most are badly run businesses that couldnt give a damn about students or teachers.

Looks like from the last three posts by ancientpathos, khanh44 and you pretty much points out the problem and the solution.  It can't be rolled out nationalwide but I think a free center in Biên Hòa could work. It'll get khanh44 off his butt while his fiancé wife goes to work supporting him :P .

I have ideas but I don't have the income stream to support these ideas.  And I'd hate to resort to the "money making machines and dont give a damn about the students" business model.

Getting the license will be the problem, then you will have the police sniffing around for money.

I'd like to hear that idea. I'm always looking for long term sustainable solutions to alleviating human suffering especially for children's that have potential bright futures ahead of them.

Just 2 more months until I land in Vietnam. Hopefully we can have coffee together and throw some pigskins afterwards.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Looks like from the last three posts by ancientpathos, khanh44 and you pretty much points out the problem and the solution.  It can't be rolled out nationalwide but I think a free center in Biên Hòa could work. It'll get khanh44 off his butt while his fiancé wife goes to work supporting him :P .

I have ideas but I don't have the income stream to support these ideas.  And I'd hate to resort to the "money making machines and dont give a damn about the students" business model.

colinoscapee wrote:

Getting the license will be the problem, then you will have the police sniffing around for money.

That's why alot of things I do are on the small scale.  I know as soon as the masses know about it...there be problems. 

Foreigners = Money....let's milk him!

khanh44 wrote:

I'd like to hear that idea. I'm always looking for long term sustainable solutions to alleviating human suffering especially for children's that have potential bright futures ahead of them.

Just 2 more months until I land in Vietnam. Hopefully we can have coffee together and throw some pigskins afterwards.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Yah! 
http://ondrejgalik.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/463px-rosie.jpg?w=231&h=300

Teacher Mark wrote:
ancientpathos wrote:

thought I would give a reality check.

Your "reality" differs from that of a substantial amount of the other teachers who have worked for them.

You may notice that my problem is with AMA-Binh Duong. AMA is  franchised, just like McDonald's, but not as classy.

Relia and reality.  Indeed!

P.S.  Tell Jimmy that I just checked and I'm still very much alive!

Your comments lead me to believe that you find comfort when others have had similar complaints about teaching. I do not fit into your group so you try to mock my comments. This forum is about sharing information and experiences. For example my contract that I read and understood listed financial penalties for missing class, failing to give notice. Failing to act as a responsible adult let alone a teacher. You complain that the language centers are all about making money. Yes all businesses are about making money.  If you are a good teacher then your reputation will keep you employed.

As you said you have been working at this for 3 months, so you dont have a lot of experience with schools. As I said before, go to Daves ESL and read what the long term teachers say about the industry in Viet Nam. Most are negative due to the way the schools are run,so they cant all be wrong and you right. The AMA here in Vung Tau doesnt get a good wrap either, the lady owner has a very bad reputation.Most of her teachers are very young and dont hang around for long. The older more experience ones keep away from her as they are not desperate to make a buck.

Do you have a work permit to work at AMA, if not they are breaking the law.

colinoscapee wrote:

As you said you have been working at this for 3 months, so you dont have a lot of experience with schools. As I said before, go to Daves ESL and read what the long term teachers say about the industry in Viet Nam. Most are negative due to the way the schools are run,so they cant all be wrong and you right. The AMA here in Vung Tau doesnt get a good wrap either, the lady owner has a very bad reputation.Most of her teachers are very young and dont hang around for long. The older more experience ones keep away from her as they are not desperate to make a buck.

You can provide a link for easier "go to".  This the right one?

http://www.eslcafe.com/

Looks like the site is well-known.

Here is a brief on Dave's ESL
http://www.eslemployment.com/articles/d … e-356.html

Here is an anti-Dave ESL criticism.
http://teflblacklist.blogspot.com/2007/ … -cafe.html

Thats your job KeVin

colinoscapee wrote:

Thats your job KeVin

Well, the google search came up with a lot of sites.  So I'm asking you is the first one the one you want AP to go to....since you know, you're telling him to go there and you should verify cuz you know...my link might send him to some Dave's Elongated Staff Locus or Dave's Extra Stiff Leather

Dave's Electronic Sports League
Dave's Emergency Supply List.
Dave's Environmentally Sound Loonie

My brain isn't working this morning.

Didnt realise that those companies were related to teaching forums, I need to get a reality check.

colinoscapee wrote:

Didnt realise that those companies were related to teaching forums, I need to get a reality check.

Lots of stuff on Korean and Chinese schools.

Here's the Việt Nam forum.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewforum.php?f=14

colinoscapee wrote:

Do you have a work permit to work at AMA, if not they are breaking the law.

Work permit, AMA paid for the work permit and also renewed my visa during the process. I have read the comments on Daves, just a fact of life if you give people a place  to complain they will where most have to be asked to leave a positive comment.  Whiners usually make it a lifetime career to complain and are never happy. I believe that teachers should focus on teaching not how much money the language center makes, complaining about textbooks or the lack of books, complaining about having to pass people you want yo fail. As an employee in any organization you need to do what is asked of you. If that means finding something good to describe a substandard student, then do it, it may even generate the spark needed for him to focus on his studies.
Remember, signing a contract has meaning.  If you disagree with it then do not sign it.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Lots of stuff on Korean and Chinese schools.

Here's the Việt Nam forum.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewforum.php?f=14

Oooh...we better stop.  I think that site is a competitor to Expat-Blog.

Well its more about teaching.

You sign a contract to commit to not selling the company's intellectual property, not to check your brain at the door.  It's nit a commitment to knowingly follow practices that will lead to failure.

I've joined companies as a programmer and seen people doing things that I knew weren't going to work.  I'd bring it to their attention.  Most would get all frosty about it, some would listen.  Sometimes I'd be the sacrificial lamb to protect the manager who'd made the bad decisions (twice; you'd think he'd have learned the first time).  On several occasions, however, they'd listen to me and examine my position in terms of its technical merits instead of in terms of seniority at the company. 

Fealty is for feudal societies.  When I went to work my experience came with me.  If they want a tabula rasa they can hire an H1-B.