New members of the Vietnam forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hi, is your brother in need of a chef for the hotel?

Hi deonte 11, sorry Mate it´s small hotel no restaurant and bar

HIWould YOU please s

HI Can I See some photos of his hotel?
Do YOU have wechat?

HuaTran wrote:
Saijon wrote:

Hi,

I've been an expat for some time now but looking for new business opportunities in Vietnam.

I am planning to move with family at the end of the year.

Extremely grateful for any help the forum can give.

Hi Saijon!

My brother is looking for someone to operate his brand new hotel in Hoian or interesting to rent yourself to start your own business. It is small hotel - 16 rooms has just finished construction, right in the centre of town and less than a minute walk to Hoai river.

Please contact me for more details

Please post a job ad in the Vietnam jobs section if you are looking to recruit someone for a job.

Thank you.

Hi everyone!

I've set up my profile to reflect my interest in Mexico, but I'm also VERY interested in returning to Vietnam and explore the possibility of retiring near or on one of the many beautiful beaches.

I remember sitting on a hillside (Camp Redhorse 3-82 Field Artillery H&HB) overlooking Đà Nẵng and Lang Co Bay in 1972 and remarking to my friend that someday in the future, there would be a Howard Johnson's there on the coast and Americans would be returning as tourists to this beautiful country.

I won't share a lot about what I did in-country or where I did it. I've been advised that our Vietnamese friends are very welcoming to returning vets, but that it is preferred we not bring up the subject of "The War". You may not agree with that, but it's the rule I'll follow for now.

When I do visit, it will certainly be for at least six months. I'm inclined toward wanting to live in a hotel as opposed to taking out a lease on an apartment, at least until I come to the point where I possibly decide I'm staying for good.

Wherever I end up, it will have to be within a 1 or 2 mile walk to a sandy beach and a salt-water sea.

I've been lurking here and on other sites for a while, so I've already picked up a lot of great insights from many of your forum posts.

Not that I'm asking for answers here (I'll post my questions in the appropriate place) but I am rated 100% by the V.A., and I've been approved for the Foreign Medical Program (if you know, you know) so I'll be interested to connect with anyone else who is using the program, and how/where (in country, Phillipines,Thailand...?)

With my 100% V.A. compensation pension and early Social Security, I should be able to live pretty comfortably; not top shelf but certainly not in a hooch either.

Looking forward to getting to know y'all. A bit more info about me on my profile.

Gordy
Nashville, Tennessee

👇me in Memphis👇

https://gordythomas.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/sun.jpg

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

hooch

ha, there is an old war word, never hear that anymore!

You should definitely visit. Not 1 or 2 miles, you can live blocks from the beach (the east beach, the north beach has issues) for $15-$20 a nite, see Agoda hotels and AirBnB. I'd just get a reservation for a week, then look around for other possibilities when you arrive. You could also live a month here, a month there, to get a feel for the place. Slow travel. I have heard of tours for returning veterans in that area (central VN), you can google.

gobot wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

hooch

ha, there is an old war word, never hear that anymore!

You should definitely visit. Not 1 or 2 miles, you can live blocks from the beach (the east beach, the north beach has issues) for $15-$20 a nite, see Agoda hotels and AirBnB. I'd just get a reservation for a week, then look around for other possibilities when you arrive. You could also live a month here, a month there, to get a feel for the place. Slow travel. I have heard of tours for returning veterans in that area (central VN), you can google.

Thanks GoBot! That's very confirming of what I've been instinctively thinking. And "blocks" from the beach would be ideal.

I'll definitely get some sort of reservation for about the first 3 to 7 days. In fact, I may fly into Hà Nội and spend a week there. It would be interesting to see any museums or memorials they might have. I was able to visit East Berlin before The Wall fell, and it was interesting to see the Russian memorials of WWII. Probably do the tourist day cruise thang in Hạ Long Bay.

Then, once I head south, I'll get one more 3-7 day reservation, maybe in Huế  or Đà Nẵng, using info from those sites (where I've been seeing those deals, especially on Agoda) I figure a little leg and taxi work will bring me face-to-face with some hotel manager who will give me the best price for a full month...me thinking the "bird in the hand..." truism will work in my favor.

...and yes, the "month here; a month there" idea will give me the chance to check out other areas that interest me: Hội An, Vũng Tàu and Nha Trang are on my list, so far.

If I end up with the 1 year visa that requires a border crossing every 3 months, I may hop a flight from HCMC to Bangkok and have a reunion with my cousin (USMC~RVN Class of 65) before I head back for 3 months in my new favorite VN retreat.

Much appreciated!

real person on expat.com..?   Sacre' Bleu !!!   :blink:

Hi Eodmatt,

As a Vietnamese lawyer, I feel a bit sad when hearing your feedbacks. More sadly if your Vietnamese wife tell you not to believe/trust. Personnaly, I agree that sharks are every where in the world. However, there are also many nice people. When I was at university, I and my friends often took many foreigners to travel around the North of Vietnam for free and guided them how to enjoy the sights and food and explore things here. Until now, I also have many foreign friends and partners in Hanoi and we exchange the language, cultures. Its a luck if we meet right people and right people are every where in the world. Just my few thoughts.

Happy Tet (Lunar New Year) to you and your family. Cheers!

I am an occupational therapist and public health scientist turned Business man.
I am on a busy to Vietnam.
I am So passionate about technology and how it's Changing the way we live. Currently training people on how to take position and benefit from technology advancement and trends.

Hello I'm Erick

Planning on heading to Vung Tau in April staying for about 2 months. Kind of a scouting trip see see if I will relocate here to retire.

Still trying to decide if it in Vietnam or Thailand. Still need to schedule my trip to Thailand.

Tony Duy wrote:

Hi Eodmatt,

As a Vietnamese lawyer, I feel a bit sad when hearing your feedbacks. More sadly if your Vietnamese wife tell you not to believe/trust. Personnaly, I agree that sharks are every where in the world. However, there are also many nice people. When I was at university, I and my friends often took many foreigners to travel around the North of Vietnam for free and guided them how to enjoy the sights and food and explore things here. Until now, I also have many foreign friends and partners in Hanoi and we exchange the language, cultures. Its a luck if we meet right people and right people are every where in the world. Just my few thoughts.

Happy Tet (Lunar New Year) to you and your family. Cheers!

Thanks for this post. I agree, there seems to be quite a bit of negative posts from expats regarding Vietnamese people. I don't get it. Like the rest of the world is populated with angels? As with Matt's comment “don't trust anyone until you get to know them”. Was that necessary? Isn't that true anywhere you meet people in this world? I would never dream of saying something like that in a forum for expats in LA even though I have been ripped off and screwed over every which in that cut throat city. We all know there are good and bad anywhere you go. Reinforcing negative stereotypes in this forum does not help, especially with the noobs here.

Hello I'm Julie

I am from France. I will be i Hanoi for 5 months from March to July.
For the moment, I am looking for a room in shared house !

See you !

Hi    my name is John
Thinking of moving to vietnam to retire as it is a lot cheaper than OZ and have tentatively chosen Da Nang.   Have been there before.
Wondering about the expat community and how easy to "infiltrate" and any other pointers.
Cheers

Bazza139 wrote:

real person on expat.com..?   Sacre' Bleu !!!   :blink:

It's uncanny, Bazza, this Vida, another Bazza? Inconceivable!

http://pixen.netlify.com/pix/inconceivable.jpg

"..as you wish,"  (my Princess Bride)...    :kiss:

..but I'm willing to concede Gabby will find it completely conceivable...    :shy

Let's face it.   She transcends the common herd here.     :cool:

(Actually, I'm just jealous.   I always wannabe Wesley...)       :mad:

Hello to all new friends, My name is Thanh Nguyen, born in Vietnam, lived in the U.S. since 1975. My master released me 4 years ago after slaving for him (Harris Corp) for 32 years as a systems Engineer. Now I am free to go.... so Vietnam is it, knowing nothing of it, hope get some sound advice from all the expats.
My schedule to be in VN on March 4th. until undecided.
Thank you in advance! (will be lots of questions coming)

Hi all friends,
I am pookey,i am new member.
Me and my husband live in Binh Doung around 3 years , he work at factory ( VSIP1).
Every 4 months we travel to US visit family and conference at head office in Wisconsin. Now we are looking for friends who want to share space with us ****

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the housing section.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi fellow Expats,

I am Dietmar and I used to live and work in Vietnam the past 8 years. Recently I have decided to write a book about my time in Vietnam to share my experiences and adventures with like-minded.

As a quick run down, I came to Vietnam to work as HOD in a luxury resort. I fell in love with the place, opened 2 business on my own (which both more or less failed), I meet my wife and my family in this beautiful but exhausting country and YES it was a ride I won't forget that easily.

I am here on expat.com to share my experiences, so feel free to ask me. Perhaps I can help. If not, I am sure you will find someone on this forum who has answers for you....

If you are interested in my book, I'd love to invite you to follow me on ****

Thanks and I am looking forward to a great community.

Cheers

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Promotion/advertising is not allowed on the forum section.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
JOEMALTAIS wrote:

HI Can I See some photos of his hotel?
Do YOU have wechat?

I have Skype name or contact me by email : ***
thank you :)

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Strange. 

The post I made here not two days ago, and the couple of responses I received are not here anymore.

I was going to read the response someone had made to my introduction so that I could answer them in email, but it is gone!

Your idea sounds great. As one RVN vet to another you may want to research in to living in Vietnam and maintaining eligibility for drawing federal benefits. It is still considered a "restricted" country by government standards so if you live here they will suspend your benefits. There are numerous other options if you think outside the box.

rdoearth wrote:

Strange. 

The post I made here not two days ago, and the couple of responses I received are not here anymore.

I was going to read the response someone had made to my introduction so that I could answer them in email, but it is gone!

Admins have created a new thread with your post/s in Vietnam forum ....
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=761068
Please check.

Hi Everyone

Just arrived in Saigon last Thursday, and planning to be here for 6 months. We're here as my husband got a contract based in HCMC so I've taken some out of work and using the time to train as a yoga teacher and study.
Really looking forward to exploring the city and understanding more about life in Vietnam.

My most pressing question right now if anyone can please help me is where to buy sunscreen! I've searched a number of supermarkets and pharmacies local to us in Thao Dien D2, and it's all factor 50 with whitening in really tiny bottles! Any ideas where we can get factor 20 or 30 in the bottle sizes we get back home?

Thank you!

The Asian culture is really anti-sun.  Most of the sunscreen products do advertise some sort of whitener. You might want to try "Guardian". It is not a pharmacy in the western sense of the word but it does carry a lot of miscellaneous personal toiletry items. It is an upscale chain and their stores are orange. You will find one in most of the modern shopping malls and I know there is a stand-alone store in D7 on Lam Van Ben Street as well as others I have seen in my travels but I can't recall exactly where. You can Google "Guardian near me" and you should come up with something. Hope this helps. I moved here a few years ago and my wife and I are always open to making new friends. We now live in D7 but will be moving to Binh Thanh (Vinhomes Central Park) in 3 weeks. Let me know if we can be of any more help.

Rick Hayward wrote:

Your idea sounds great. As one RVN vet to another you may want to research in to living in Vietnam and maintaining eligibility for drawing federal benefits. It is still considered a "restricted" country by government standards so if you live here they will suspend your benefits. There are numerous other options if you think outside the box.

Rick:

Not sure if your reply was meant for me (since you didn't quote anything or use my name/username) but Vietnam has been ADDED by the Social Security Administration to the list of countries with a Direct Deposit agreement with the United States:

https://www.ssa.gov/international/countrylist6.htm

Plus, the most current information for U.S. Citizens as to where we can live AND receive payments is available through the Social Security Administration "Payments Abroad Screening Tool":

https://www.ssa.gov/international/payme … ideUS.html

I'm aware this site is full of old information which has only changed recently (perhaps after the arms deal) and I'll bet I get flamed for posting this, but current, updated info shows no restrictions or sanctions in place against Vietnam EXCEPT for non-U.S. Citizens who are entitled to benefits AND living outside the U.S.A.

V.A. Benefit payments are covered by these same international agreements, so are also eligible to be paid in Vietnam now.

Even with these updated links, I am not the final authority on this.

SSA and Treasury say that questions about both SSA benefits AND V.A. Benefits payable in Vietnam may be directed to this special unit which has trained personnel who can address inquiries regarding both programs:

American Embassy
1201 Roxas Boulevard
Ermita, Manila 0930
Philippines
Phone: 632-301-2000
Fax: 632-708-9714 or 632-708-9723
Email: [email protected]

I hope this most recent info is helpful.

I will create a new thread for this subject at:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=761380

Cheers!

Gordy

Thanks for the information. I will research it further. All I know is a year or so ago my benefits were suspended because they mailed me some type of written correspondence to my old US address. When I contacted them I told him that I was living here and they easily over-the-phone, changed my address. Then I was subsequently notified that my privileges and benefits were again suspended because I didn't live in the US any longer and Vietnam was a restricted country to which no benefits could be paid. When I tried to change it back they wouldn't change it. They said I had to go to a local US Social Security office and provide proof of US residence. I ended up having to fly to the US and convince them that I was living in the US so they would restore my benefits. I'm now faced with paying $30 a month for a UPS box to maintain a US address.

Rick Hayward wrote:

Thanks for the information. I will research it further. All I know is a year or so ago my benefits were suspended because they mailed me some type of written correspondence to my old US address. When I contacted them I told him that I was living here and they easily over-the-phone, changed my address. Then I was subsequently notified that my privileges and benefits were again suspended because I didn't live in the US any longer and Vietnam was a restricted country to which no benefits could be paid. When I tried to change it back they wouldn't change it. They said I had to go to a local US Social Security office and provide proof of US residence. I ended up having to fly to the US and convince them that I was living in the US so they would restore my benefits. I'm now faced with paying $30 a month for a UPS box to maintain a US address.

One thing hasn't changed: the list of things that MUST be reported to SSA:

-----

(From SSA .PDF linked below)

Things you must report

Below is a list of things you must report
to Social Security. You will find an
explanation of each item after this list (see .PDF)

1. Change of address
2. Work outside the United States
3. If your disability improves, or you
return to work, after qualifying for
disability benefits
4. Marriage
5. Divorce or annulment
6. Adoption of a child
7. Child leaves the care of a spouse or
surviving spouse
8. Child nearing age 18 is a full-time
student or disabled
9. Death
10. Inability to manage funds
11. Deportation or removal from the
United States
12. Changes in parental circumstances
13. Eligibility for a pension from work not
covered by Social Security
NOTE: Failure to report a change
may result in an overpayment. We will
recover any payments not due you. Also,
if you fail to report changes in a timely
way or you intentionally make a false
statement, we may stop your benefits.

Direct Download of SSA .PDF - https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

Hello. 

I am new here so please havr patience with me. 

Just want to introduce myself.  I am 46 and planning to move to Vietnam in about a year or so. 

I visited the country my times in past 10-12 years.  Now I am here to learn from all you experts all there is to know before I make the big move.

Thank you all in advance.

Hi my name is Norm and i plan to move to Vietnam with my wife in the next 5 years. I currently live in Vancouver and looking to retire early and enjoy the rest of my life. my wife is vietnamese so it makes moving Vietnam an easy choice.

for the community members, i am looking for advice about moving there and what to expect. i have been to Vietnam several times but i need to know what type of living costs should i expect? i would be looking to purchase a condo as well as start up a brazilian Jiujitsu gym in Da Nang, Quy Nhon or Nha Trang. Can anyone tell me what its like to do business there, how much is the cost per sqft to rent a space etc.

thanks

In Nha Trang there are indoor, under-utilised community basket ball courts both in town and in nearby suburbs. Nha Trang University is another possible option, as they already host martial arts clubs. The city judo club operates from cramped rooms in the city sports complex opposite Khanh Hoa Province Hospital.

I don' know how much the rent is, but if needed I can PM you the contact details of an aikido instructor who can give further info.

Thanks for the response. Right now I am just fact finding as i am planning on my exodus in 5 years, if you could ask it would be greatly appreciated so that i have an idea of what to budget

Hi, I'm Adam. Just moved from rural South Korea to HCMC and am looking for opportunities to meet new people and make friends. People I can meet up with every week for a meal and beer. Or play board games, I saw that mentioned earlier. Or both! That sounds like fun too haha.

I'm always happy to hear about the experiences of others living in Vietnam and get tips for living in HCMC  :top:

Hi there! I'm from Cape Town, South Africa. I will be moving to Danang, Vietnam in August '18 to teach English. Currently my sister is there. She's staying in a hostel where the peeps keep to themselves a bit and she would love to socialise and make some friends. Are the any cool pub crawls, or expat meet up areas where a girl travelling alone could make some friends? :)

Hello everyone, I'm David I'm 28 years old.  I am looking for information on how to work in Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam for high demand job opportunities or careers I can work towards that pay well.  I visited Vietnam for the first time this year and finally met my family that was there and also met my girlfriend there and I want to eventually work over in Vietnam to spend time with them all.  I'm also learning more Southern Vietnamese as well I can speak but not right so if anyone would like to help teach me I'd like that!

Hi there!

Moving to Saigon soon after spending almost 20 years in China.

My main challenge is to find a temporary helper that is diligent and that I can trust. Ideally I would have a Filipina helper, as I have very good experience with them, but if anybody knows some trustworthy and diligent Vietnamese helpers, I'd be thankful too.

Are there any good "helper/maid" agencies around that can assist with "brokering"?
Anybody that can help in this area, I'll buy a few beers!  :D

Thanks

Mrj2018,
There are many women who would be willing to accept your job. The easiest way is simply to ask your neighbours if they know anyone suitable.

hi Ralph, I will live in a brand new compound with only foreigners from all over the world. Seems like we will all be dealing with the same issue unfortunately!

Hello all,

I'm from Philadelphia, USA moving to Vietnam in the next few months. I spent 2017 traveling through SE Asia and Australia but really fell in love with Vietnam, and decided to throw caution to the wind and attempt to make a living in Vietnam. I joined expat.com to see what kind of career opportunities I can pursue with my background. I am highly qualified in business management, sales, sales management, sales coaching, logistics, and operations. My most recent job position is general sales manager for Maserati and Alfa Romeo.

Closed