New members of the Cambodia forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hi Team,

I'm Charles and I will soon be moving to PP to take up a job at an international school there. I have been in Asia almost 20 years, all over, but I consider Thailand to be home as it's hard to beat. I have a thousand questions about where to live, how to make friends etc. It's really, really wonderful to meet all of you!

Welcome aboard this forum Charles.

Scroll through the various threads for information. Should any questions remain, post them in the appropriate thread or start a new thread.

Hope your stay will be a pleasant one.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hi,
My name is Greg and I plan to move to SR in the very near future. I have never been to Cambodia but have been to Thailand many times. I have chosen Cambodia to retire in for many reasons but The low cost of living and ease of getting a retirement visa are very attractive. I am over 55 and truly enjoyed my Peace Corps time in West Africa so I am hoping to get involved in some NGO work. I will probably get a hotel for the first month while I am looking at apartments and getting my retirement visa. I haven't decided anything about transportation, buy a motorcycle or scooter. I thought I wouldn't if living in Thailand but will just see how it goes. Open to renting a house with the right person as a garden and chickens would be nice. I love to swim so any info on public pools in SR would be welcome. I would appreciate any insight on such things as housing, transportation, volunteering or working for NGOs. I look forward to meeting other ex pats in Cambodia.
Thank you, Greg

Welcome aboard this forum Greg, hope your stay will be a pleasant one.

Scroll through the various threads for information, if questions still exist post them in the appropriate threads  or start a new thread.

One thing I have to warn you about: it's NOT allowed to work when you have a retirement extension of stay. If you want to work you need an EB extension, which you can get if you have a letter from your employer, and after getting the EB extension you have to apply for a work permit. The employer has to have you on their foreign workers quota for the year 2019.

I advise you to just come over, get a retirement extension for 3, 6 or 12 months and relax, find yourself suitable housing and start to get to know the area.

Good luck.
Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hello All
New member, moving from LAS VEGAS to Cambodia on Old Age ( 67) to hopefully start a new FAMILY.  RETIRED but love nature and farming,  wish everyone a happy journey!

Welcome aboard this forum.

Scroll through the various threads for info.

If questions remain post them in the appropriate thread or start a new thread.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

5:45pm, 14 November 2018

Greetings to all,

I am an American businessman residing in Bangkok (off/on 20 years).  I have been in the IT business and property development business for 40+ years.  I was co-founder of the first Venture Club in the world (Puget Sound Venture Club) and co-founder of Asia's largest Venture Club (Bangkok Venture Club).  We are interested in opening an investment club to vet Cambodian startups in Phnom Penh (and I recently visited your capital city to meet the US Ambassador regarding this intent) and facilitate investments and mentoring.  It was an enjoyable trip and convinced me to explore more.

In addition, l have two online platforms that I am interested in opening in Cambodia.
Both platforms are successful in Thailand and we are interested in expanding across
SE Asia.  My intent is to have a small office/staff there - similar to my operations in Saigon.

I like the old-world charm of PP and I think it would be an enjoyable place to conduct business and establish a very part-time residence.

I will watch this forum for tips on opening a business in Cambodia.  Thank you in advance for adding me to this group.

Mark C. Wolf

Hi my name is Carolyn going to visit my son in May for a month ,to see I liked it hopefully to move there ,I'm 45 young at heart single NY Tips or advice would be grateful .

Hello Carolyn and Mark.

Scroll through the various threads for information, if any questions left post them in the appropriate thread or start a new thread.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hello everybody!

My wife and I recently arrived in Phnom Penh. We are currently looking for employment as native English teachers. We are both TEFL/TESL certifies as well as Forst aid and CPR trained.

We'd love to get some feedback on valuable resources for job applications, as wells as preferable areas to live and meat people!

Thank you,
Steve

Hi everyone. My name is Tim. I arrived in Phnom Penh this afternoon and am beginning a job search as an English teacher. I found it very hard to get anything done online as I have a Zimbabwean passport, and they treat people with that passport quite strictly at the airport.

Therefore I was advised to go in on a tourist visa. I'm a natuve speaker obviously and I would love to meet up or connect with anyone who is around and may be able to point me to few decent places to apply to.

Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from everyone. Oh and apologies for the spam block thing, I wasn't aware of that rule. I'll participate in discussions until then!

Hello Tim.

Welcome aboard this forum. You will find a lot of information in the various threads, if you still have questions post them in the appropriate thread or start a new thread.

As for your job application and tourist visa, that doesn't work well together.
Tourist visas can be extended only once for another 30 days and you cannot get an extension of stay.
You will have to leave the country after your tourist visa expires and come back in on an Ordinary visa. Then you can apply for a 6 months EG extension to seek a job. Once you got a job you need to change to a EB business extension with a letter from your employer, after that you apply for a work permit.

That's the way to go. Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hello. I sadly have to leave the hellhole that Sihanoukville has become,having lived here very happily for 4 years with my Khmer girlfriend. Unless you have a commanding reason for coming to Sihanoukville (visiting the islands etc) my advice is to stay away. It is now Sino-ville. We will be going to Siem reap next week to find a rental house to live in, so I would be interested in hearing from anyone with useful contacts or information regarding rental property (2/3 bedrooms). Thanks in advance.

Couldn't agree more just back from a resent trip to Shanghaiville the place as an absolute mess at present it has a really bad vibe about the place now

Guys roystoner and Landofwonder.

This is the new members thread, your posts should have been posted in the Sihanoukvlle forum.

Thanks.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hello Everyone!!

I'm Alex from Ghana my wife is American planing to move to PP and start my own business, I am air condition mechanic also a movie producer/director.... I need a lot of advice.

Hello.

Welcome aboard this forum. You will find a lot of information in the various threads, if you still have questions post them in the appropriate thread or start a new thread.

Regards.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hello! I am planning to move to Cambodia to work/ teach. I am currently working as a Guidance Counselor/ Teacher here in the Philippines. I am a Licensed Professional Teacher and a Registered Psychometrician. If you know any job openings, please message me about the official job posting. I will really appreciate it.

Thanks and have a great day. God bless you guys!

Hi All
Looking at my options with regards to retiring in Asia . Cambodia seems a fairly atrractive option , so here i am .
Cheers

dreamingofasia wrote:

Hi All
Looking at my options with regards to retiring in Asia . Cambodia seems a fairly atrractive option , so here i am .
Cheers

Short but strong message.

Welcome to this forum, scroll through the variety of threads for information, if questions still exist don't hesitate to post them in the appropriate thread or start a new thread.

Hope your stay will be a great one.

Regards.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hey,

I'll arrive in PP on April, will start my own businesses. I was many times before in SEA, now I decided to move.
My main interest is PP, but I'm also looking for interesting places in Kampot/Kep.
Always interested to have personal contacts.
There is a lot to do, so let's do it!

Nice Regards

Dennis

Hi Joe can you recommend a reliable / honest agent to extend the er retirement

Salavan wrote:

Hi Joe can you recommend a reliable / honest agent to extend the er retirement

This is the new members thread so nothing to do with ER extension of stay.

But I will send you a PM.

Joe

Hi Everyone,

My husband is taking up a new job that will be based in Phnom Penh so we will probably be moving there in a couple of months. Hope that our new journey in Cambodia will be a great one. 😊 Would love to make some new friends and if there are any gatherings or events, do keep us updated.

Thank you.

Hello,

I just moved here 12 days ago from Dubai. Let me know if you'd like a coffee.

Thanks

Cool...I was staying in Abu Dhabi back in 2016. It will be great to meet up over a cup of coffee. 😊

Hello MyElle.

Scroll through the threads for information, if you still have questions post them in the appropriate thread or start a new thread.

I hope your stay here will be a wonderful experience.

Have a nice day.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Let me know x

Going to be living in Cambodia soon after 6 yeArs of living in Vietnam.  Pretty uncertain about the change, as I have concerns about government. 
I am retired, 71 years young, interested in: world affairs (not alluding to personal affairs), history, most music, and in helping where I can.

I am divorced after a long marriage and 6 children and now grandfather to 16...geez...never actually counted before.  Think I am about done raising kids. 

Ok...that is enough.  Maybe tell you about my part-time astronaut job when we meet. 

+

Hello Vietrick.

Scroll through the threads for information, if you still have questions post them in the appropriate thread or start a new thread.

I hope your stay here will be a great experience.

Have a nice day.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hi everyone, I've been here two weeks, I should extend my visa huh? Anyone know about the Freelance visa? Thanks

Hello Stephanie.

Your visa question does not belong here in the New Members thread.

I will send you a PM about your question.

Cheers.

Joe

Hi Julien,
Would it be possible to see the latest posts in this particular category at the top of the page instead of old posts of 1 year ago? Or at least have the possibility to toggle old and new posts accordingly?

Thanks for your considerations,
Myriam H.

Hello Myriam.

I don't know what page you are looking at but this page contains new members posts from 3 months ago and up until today.

There are no posts of a year old, only 3 months.

Cheers.

Joe

Joe,
I was looking at Julien's 1st post to introduce ourselves. Right now, I'm replying to your answer to me, location: page 6.
My question was whether the latest posts could be on page one instead of 6.

The page you are referring to (6) is about new members of 2018 and the oldest post is 3 months old.

You clicked the wrong thread, just click New Members 2018 and there it is.

Cheers.

Joe

New members of the Cambodia forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

marsvolta77
20 October 2018 15:44

Hello!
Actually I am in Cambodia for more than half a year already, but I didn't know about this forum before. My name is Pavel, I am from Belarus. Interested in education, arts; composing music and currently looking for a job :)

Hello Pavel.

I hope your stay here will be a great experience.

Have a nice day.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

After living and working in over 30 countries during the past  30+ years, I have finally 'settled down' in the Kingdom of Wonder.

I started visiting Cambodia on a regular basis back in 2006 to find out what business opportunities there were in the country.  I moved to Phnom Penh full time in 2011.  Operated a couple of businesses here in the service sector and another in the IT sector but got disenchanted with the results and decided to pursue other opportunities. 

In 2015 I started another business doing website development, SEO, email marketing newsletters and eLearning and my business partner (she is Cambodian) handles the business side of things doing business and NGO registrations, visa extensions, work permits, soft skills training and stuff like that. 

Next month, February 2019, I will start working as the new General Manager for Bong Thom.  Am really looking forward to this next leg of the journey in my life.

Closed