New members of the Cambodia forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hello Bhushan.

Welcome on board this forum. I hope you will find the business opportunities you are looking for.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Hi, I am Bernie, I have been here in Siem Reap for a month now. It's amazing just how lonely I feel here. Can I assume you are already here in Siem Reap? I would be pleased to have the chance to meet you for a chat. These are my contact details:
Take care
Bernie

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the open forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system if necessary. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
rejvcap wrote:

Hello Joe, regards to protocol, it better to switch forums to business opportunities, but lastly do you suggest any specific areas for tourism related business opportunities? I have contacts in Kep and hear that its up and coming...do you disagree?

Yes please switch to the business thread, as this is for new members to introduce themselves.

Thanks.

Joe

This topic has now been relocated to the thread I am looking for opportunity to do business

Joe

JoeKhmer wrote:

Hello Roger, welcome on board.

First, DO NOT come on a tourist visa!

A tourist visa can only be extended once, so every two months you would have to leave the country.

Get an Ordinary (E) visa on arrival at the airport, that one can be extended without leaving the country.

As you are retired you can within one month apply for a retirement extension of stay (ER), for one year and that can be extended every year. Use an agent for that, no need to go to Immigration Office.
It costs $295 per year, you need a passport photo and your passport, that's all. It's a multiple entry extension, so you can leave and come back as many times as you wish.

Good that you inquire before you arrive, I have seen quite a lot of people baffled after they entered with the wrong visa.

Good luck, enjoy your stay.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Hi Joe,

Thanks of the nice advice, but I am from Estonian citizen, not retiring what is the cost of multiple entry Visa.

Hello.

You cannot get a multiple entry visa. There are two types of visa to enter the country, the tourist [T] visa, and the Ordinary [E] visa. Both are valid for thirty days.

Tourist visa can be extended once for a period of thirty days.
Ordinary visa can be extended for multiple time periods and multiple reasons for extension, like Business, Retirement, Study, Searching for job. The extensions are for 1, 3, 6 or 12 months, the 1 and 3 months extensions are single entry, the others are multiple entry.

Please do not answer on this here, as this is the New members thread, where people introduce themselves. Go to the Visas threads and find answers there or react to this one.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Hi, my name Pasya, from Jakarta Indonesia. I may move to Cambodia starting April. Working in one of the Pharma Distributor in PP. Lodging should not be a problem, but Khmer Language is my real challenge. Joe, could you advice me on this? The team is about 100, they are all cambodian, only 1/6 that i think could speak decent english so yes. I need to speak khmer the soonest. Thanks

Hello Pasya, welcome on board this forum.

Your question is not easy, there are many Khmer language schools/classes, also on line.

I know one thing: the most reputable institute is the non-degree private course at the RUPP, Royal University of Phnom Penh, because they teach speaking, writing and reading, whereas most classes teach speaking only.

After completing that course you have a quite high level of speaking, reading and writing Khmer.
But it takes you a year to complete.

You can also find more info here on the Language institutions of the Business Directory.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Joe, the main focus is to speak effectively in khmer. Any private khmer teacher that you may know? How much does it cost per hour? I dont think taking a formal class is possible as i need to do it after office hour. The more we practice the better no? Need a fast solution for this

Frankly I have no idea, because I don't live in PP and I don't know any private teacher for Khmer language.

I think you best google it.

Here is a link to an article about learning Khmer in PP:

http://www.movetocambodia.com/city-guid … ing-khmer/

Cheers.

Joe

Thanks Joe for the advice.. really appriciate it. Thanks

Hello,
My name is Geoff and I am in the process of relocating my boat building business to Cambodia from Thailand. I have lived in Thailand for 20 years and established the boat building in 2002 [Coastal Boats Thailand]. Have built using GRP, foam/epoxy, steel and for the last 4 years aluminum.
The current business environment and new tax regime in Thailand is not great for boat building and I want to be the first aluminum boat builder in Cambodia.
This week my factory is being dismantled ready for transportation and I would appreciate any advice from other business people who have relocated to Cambodia.

Hello Geoff,

Nice to see you around this forum.

Why not to open a new topic about “aluminium boat construction” or “relocating an aluminum boat construction business” ?

Cheers,
Marcelo

PS : I'm personally involved in local woodenboats renovation. Small business.

Hi Marcelo,
I probably will when I have time but am in the throes of dismantling my factory :)
Geoff Reid.

Hello Geoff.

Welcome on board ;) this forum. I hope your relocation of business will be successful.

I wish you all the best.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Hello Geoff,
congratulations to your step.
Hoping that stories like yours, avoid the Cambodian goverment to follow the Thailand example.

Where do you go on the Cambodian coast?

And just a few thoughts to your introduction.
I am sure aluminum is a sophisticated material for high quality boats.
But at the same time it is extremely hungry for energy and resources, isn't it?
Did you ever think about building boats of plastic, recycling waste?
Of course just for small, funny boats, for a low-budget product line.
You would be the first here in asia too, I guess, and maybe would get more media attention.

Sorry, just a thought ...
Good luck for your relocating
Rick

Hello everyone.  I am thinking of staying in Kampong Chhnang Provice near our NGO.  I am interested to get to know friends who are English speaking.  I will try to learn the Cambodian language. Currently I only know some Thai.

Hello.

Welcome on board this forum. I hope you will find some nice friends.

Have a nice stay.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

thanks for the welcome....planning to move to that area by years end....have not decided where(country) yet......probably will travel 1st year to size it all up.  cambodia however does seem to be the most expat tolerant with regard to long stays

I wish you luck. I have just returned home after spending two months in Siem Reap. It was an experience. Especially obtaining a one year visa. I am retired.

Welcome aboard this forum.

Feel free to scroll through the various threads and pick up info.

If any questions left after that, feel free to post them in an existing or new thread.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Hello my name is Seyhaa, I am Cambodian and currently living in Siem Reap. I am also very new here on expat. Please take its easy on me.

Hi, my name is John.  Are you looking to find out anything in particular from this forum?

Hi All,

Am Sagar from Mumbai (India), moved here to PP in 2017, am an IT professional & working in a local FinTech... Joined Expat.com hoping to find some avenues to invest my spare time on Saturdays & Sundays into something fruitful & also to meet people with whom I can kill some time while sharing intellectual & mundane experiences!

Thanks.

Hello John, I be mostly looking out and see what new and interesting topic regarding our town and temple. ***

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : no free ads here please + post your housing offers in the housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Ah, that's interesting.  I plan to move to SR after my catering season ends in October with my partner and business partner and will be looking for a rental property.  We will be over on the 10/04 for 2 weeks. Perhaps we can meet for a chat?

Hello John, of course you can direct contact me on expat message or simply visit my official website for my contact number vrsr.asia I am more than happy to help assist you, or simply grab a cup of coffee and if you don't mind the smoke then its would be super awesome. :)

Seyhaa wrote:

Hello John, I be mostly looking out and see what new and interesting topic regarding our town and temple. Especially property rental and such since I do have a fews propeties myself to lease out as well. :)

Seyhaa.

You are Cambodian so not an expat. You are talking about properties you have for lease.

So you have free advertising on a forum where that is not allowed.

You can do advertising on expat.com, but apply for that and don't advertise in the new member part of a forum, the rules are clear in this and when you signed up you agreed to follow the rules.

Thanks.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Hello Joe

Thank you for pointing me out, yes I am clearly understood and will not intended to advertise myself intentionally. If I broke the rule I am gladly accept the consequences.

Hello All.

I have been reading various posts and topics with keen interest and have found much good information and advice.  I hope to be of value as well.

I have retired from a career in the entertainment industry (TV production and distribution) for 30 years and have traveled extensively around the globe and still love long flights. I have worked for many start-ups and successfully seen them grow into strong enterprises. Also, I have an entrepreneurial spirit and have always been able to fail- hopefully learn something from it and continue towards a goal.  I have been fortunate and have enjoyed it.

Now 65, it's time to think about where I want to retire. My first trip overseas was to SE Asia in 1968; Hong Kong, Bangkok. and others.  By now I have probably returned well over 25 times. I have witnessed much change, some of which is sad and disappointing. I do not include Cambodia in this grouping. This is why I will call it home if even for a year or so. I figure I can/will learn enough if Cambodia is a country I can find comfort. What is important is can I assimilate and find how I might be of value.

I'm glad and eager to be a part of your group

Regards,
David

Hello David, welcome on board this forum.

Looks like you will be able to fit in Cambodia and have a great time here.

Relax, you are retired now, another word for "Enjoy life" more than ever.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Thanks Joe.

Plans are to arrive sometime in May, spend a couple of weeks in PNH then a month or more each in Sihanoukville, Siem Reap and Kep. Not sure yet as to the accommodations but, I am a bit spoiled.

I plan on writing a book about my life experiences. Many of my friends have encouraged me to do so and plan on looking towards someone that can help me organize my thoughts.

Looking to the future, should I call Cambodia home, I will probably invest in property.  But, do not want to get way too down the road on this until I have a solid base of information and sage advice from fellow expats.

Again, Thanks for the welcome

Dave

Hello!

I'm Simon, and I'm quite new to this site. I currently live in Philadelphia, PA, and work online as an English tutor for children in China. I'm looking to move somewhere in Southeast Asia, and am currently looking at Thailand or Cambodia. I hope to get to know you all better!

Welcome on board this forum Simon.

Good luck with chosing where to go.
Read through the various threads here, they are full of information.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Hello Everyone, 

I'll be leaving the US before August to start living overseas.  I'm trying to narrow my options down to a few places I might live in for a month or so before I make up my mind.  I've considered and visited or rejected South American locations, I was looking at Malaysia but that's not looking good for what I want either.

Cambodia came up as a recommendation, honestly I'd have never considered it but it's looking pretty damn good.  It'll be nice to chat with everyone and I hope I don't pester to much you all seem very friendly and knowledgeable.

Welcome on board this forum bigsquirrel, hope you find the right place to settle down.

If any questions left after reading through the threads, just post it and one or more members will answer and try to help you.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Good Luck Mate , all the best , i will moving over myself soon , may have a go at teaching

Good morning all just joined the forum and thought it would be a good idea to say hello and get my feet wet so to speak, hope everyone is enjoying their day

Auggiedoggy wrote:

Good morning all just joined the forum and thought it would be a good idea to say hello and get my feet wet so to speak, hope everyone is enjoying their day

Hello and welcome aboard this forum.

Hope you have a great stay.

Scroll through the threads and find a lot of information.
If any questions left, don't hesitate to put them here on the forum.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Thanks joe enjoy your day

Closed