The best apps for expats in Germany

Hello,

We invite you to share information regarding some of the apps that have helped to facilitate your move abroad in Germany. This will help expats-to-be who are making the move as well.

Which apps did you use while preparing your move to Germany?

What apps do you use the most for your everyday life in Germany: whether it's for transport, managing finances, general information, learning the language of your host country, leisure activities, etc.?

How does this technology help you in your everyday life as an expat?

Which apps would you recommend to expatriates in Germany and why?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Below is the list of apps I use :

1. db navigator : the app through which you can check and book train tickets. Very useful if you are travelling by train.
2. VVSMobil:  app for checking S-Bahn timing and booking tickets in Stuttgart. Perfect app if you don't know much about the train system. It also marks the zones so that you can check and plan accordingly.
3. Google maps: I have downloaded offline map of Stuttgart to avoid use of internet while roaming around the city.
4. Google translate: not knowing German can be a problem sometimes. So better to download offline data of Google translate for German.
5.Duolingo : for learning German.
6. YouTube : the source of all information's. Search for the best places to visit or what to take care during travel.

To add to Himank's excellent list above:
- Most local transport organisations have an app for searching point-to-point public transport connections (incl. buses, trains, etc.), like the VVS app listed above. Get the local one for your area!
- Moovel is a good, Germany-wide transport website listing all options.

Other useful apps might be:
- Online banking: All major banks have apps for their customers
- Mobile phone providers also often have apps to track usage and top-up the account (for pre-paid)
- Quoka and Ebay Kleinanzeigen have apps for their classified ads sites (in case zou want to buy or sell something)
- If you have a car, there are various apps telling you petrol prices in the vicinity - you can save some money by checking before you fill the tank!

Hi,

I have been using following apps frequently.

1) Google translate

2) Google Maps

3) HVV

4) DB navigator

5) Booking.com

6) Skyscanner (for checking flight options, while I book using individual airline apps - Eurowings / EasyJet / Ryanair / Lufthansa / etc.

7) Avis car rental

8) Vodafone (for checking data usage) -- I am sure other network providers would also be offering similar options.

9) Hansa taxi

10) Hamburg airport - gives realtime information on flight arrivals / departures

Hope above is of use to expats and their families.

Thanks,
Vivek Willen

Hallo guten morgen, am using eBay kleinanzeigen and job suche app to look for work,Google translator, immo welt if you are looking for a wohnung, then my 2 Mobil app for transferring money, Duolingo for German learning, lastly weather forecast app Deutschland weather is not stable everyday rain. Here without German language you can hardly get a job both full n part-time job. Everybody wants German speaking worker. Thou I started German course last year October bei inlingua, I dnt operate with train only bus, I always buy bus ticket every month, you can still use the bus ticket on train also. Danke schön.

I've been here since 2005, and smartphones and apps weren't a thing when I moved here. I managed just fine without them! That being said, there are a few apps that aren't expat-specific that can make your life easier:

Which apps did you use while preparing your move to Germany?

See above. Apps weren't a thing in 2005. I just showed up and figured it out.

What apps do you use the most for your everyday life in Germany: whether it's for transport, managing finances, general information, learning the language of your host country, leisure activities, etc.?

-BVG or VBB app. Offi is also popular (these are all public transport apps, and all of them offer English language options)
-Google Maps
-My bank's online banking app

That's it for me. I'm sure if you're new here and still adjusting and learning the language, language apps like Google Translate and Duo Lingo might be helpful. You can also use the dubbing options on Netflix or Amazon Prime Video to practice your German or download the app versions of major German papers.

How does this technology help you in your everyday life as an expat?

I don't really consider myself an expat anymore, since I'm a dual citizen and I've been here for 12 years. As a resident, they're helpful. I don't miss carrying a city map around with me!

Which apps would you recommend to expatriates in Germany and why?

You don't really need much. Just pick a transport app, use a map app to figure out where you are, and use online banking to keep track of your finances.

Scan translate is my favourite to translate documents from German to English

A couple of them have already been mentioned, but [link moderated] are very useful, especially as you can use them whilst commuting so you don't have to spend time in classes when you're a beginner.

My Taxi is also handy, especially if want the convenience of cashless payment - great if you're in a rush to get to the airport or train station and you don't have enough cash.

[link moderated] apps such as Transferwise and CurrencyFair are also handy, although their websites serve exactly the same purpose. Much cheaper to use either of these than to do international currency transfers through your bank or Western Union.

Kicker is good if you speak German and are interested in the Bundesliga!