Can a first time traveler buy a mobile sim card at a German airport?

Hi Everyone, I will reach Germany on the 14th of May. I wanted to know if a foreigner can buy a local(German) sim card at the airport as soon as he/she lands? 

If Yes,
(a) What all documents will be required. 
(b) Will it activated instantly

I would like to call my family back home in India and inform them that I have landed in Germany. Apart from that, I will be calling my employer in Germany.

Looking forward to your replies. Thanks in advance.

PS: I researched international roaming from my provider i.e Vodafone and its really expensive (Plan Fee - €35, Data: 4GB). 

So people suggested buying a sim card when I land in Germany.  But I am not sure if sim cards will be issued to foreigners and activated instantly.

The easiest and simple would be Pay as you go SIM Card, where you need no documents. Use a calling card where you can call cheaply. Later you can convert it to a contract SIM card.

Another option is to buy Lyca mobile SIM which has cheap international call bundles. I know a few people that use this to call overseas. This is one provider, I am sure there are others.

Just make sure your phone is unlocked because you will not be able to use the new SIM and you will be forced to by a new phone.

should I purchase pay as you go sim card from my country? i.e before landing in Germany?  Any specific company?

You can get a prepaid ("pay as you go" in the posts above) SIM card in any phone shop - there are certainly some in or around the airport.
It needs to be registered in your name and you have to show an identification and give a residential address (preferably in Germany).
This can be done instantly in the shop (ask if they do it before you buy) or online.
A prepaid card usually costs €10 and has €10 stored value in it. Local calls are usually €0.09/min, but calling abroad is rather expensive with such a card!

Thank you so much.  I reached Germany today. Currently using an Uniconnect Sim card that I purchased from India.  it's a travel sim card worth 30 Euros and it gives me 12Gb Data, 500 mins local calls. This should be sufficient for 2-3 days.  Once I get comfortable, I will get a new sim card from the city in a few days.

If you need 500min and 12GB in 2-3 days, you must be some kind of superhuman user!
I have far less per month ...

beppi wrote:

If you need 500min and 12GB in 2-3 days, you must be some kind of superhuman user!
I have far less per month ...

I won't be needing 500 mins but yes data is a must. 12Gb will last atleast  10 days. I guess

:D I am online all the time and I am not sure how secure the open wifi networks here are. I don't want to get hacked using a wifi network. Then I will have to buy a VPN to protect myself. Isn't that right?

I watch youtube videos, whatsapp videos, surf, chat on my phone so 1 need atleast 1GB per day but when I checked prepaid plans here. None of the providers offer unlimited data or at least 30-40GB data a month. It's hardly 6GB a month. In India, I had the option to use30GB data a month for just 5Euros.

Any advice using the wifi networks here?

Yes, mobile data usage is restricted here - no unlimited plan or >10GB/month!
I never even need my 1.5GB/month and also don't use public WLAN, so cannot help further. Some plans have the option to renew the monthly data amopunt (for a fee) when it is used up - that, or changing your excessive usage, will be the only options.
(Did you ever notice that there is a world beyond that small screen?)

beppi wrote:

Yes, mobile data usage is restricted here - no unlimited plan or >10GB/month!
I never even need my 1.5GB/month and also don't use public WLAN, so cannot help further. Some plans have the option to renew the monthly data amopunt (for a fee) when it is used up - that, or changing your excessive usage, will be the only options.
(Did you ever notice that there is a world beyond that small screen?)

True :)