OK, everyone here has convinced me not to rent a car in Sosua.

But how do my wife and I get around?  --- How do we hire a Taxi or a Private Driver or ?????  in Sosua. And what are the costs?

Have searched the forum and mostly I have found -- "Do not Drive" - So, yes I got that!

There are several taxi gathering areas in Sosua. I believe there is one close to Bailey's? There is also one east of the police station by the Playero. You just walk up, strike up a conversation, and take a ride. If you like the driver, ask for their number... They will probably offer it to you. We have found many good drivers this way. Once you have struck up a relationship with a couple, you can negotiate costs, they will drive you somewhere and wait if you need them to. They will come pick you up too.

Christie has it right.  Multiple taxi stands around.  Latch on to a couple and you will have cabs when ever you want.
Good idea not to drive here until you have been for a while and learn to understand the non rules of the road.
Bob K

Hi, in Juan Dolio now,  any cab or driver suggestions for here?

Will be in Sosua in a month.

Thanks

IF my father in law's car is available, we might actually try driving from Santiago to Sosua this time. I am terrified. 😅 Robert is very calm about it. I think, once inside the tilt a whirl, he might be a little less carefree..... But, it will be nice to be able to drive and stop at furniture places, as we see them.

In Juan Dolio ask where you are staying for recommendations,  ask other expats

Find 1 or 2 you are comfortable with and keep their numbers.

Always negotiate the price! Let them know you will use them often for the duration of your stay.

Thanks Planner. I came in solo yesterday. Wife was ill and needed to postpone flying in until Wednesday. Will reach out after she gets settled in.

Terrified people cannot make rational decisions. DO NOT attempt anything that requires a clear mind. You will fail, oft times with disastrous results. Hire a driver, safer for everyone, including us.

If that is directed to me, I won't be driving. No worries there. And terrified might be a bit of an exaggeration. 😀 But, I doubt I will ever drive in the DR. Robert however is quite comfortable with the idea.

I think terrified is not the word for .ost but does apply to a few I have met.

One woman was so scared that within 4 blocks of.being in ANY vehicle she was physically I'll. Yup she went back home!!!

My wife calls it a "live video game" and she has been driving here from the beginning.

Bob K

planner wrote:

Always negotiate the price! Let them know you will use them often for the duration of your stay.

What is the 'Price' based on? Miles traveled?...... Time? ...... Destination?

What are typical prices ?

Bob K wrote:

My wife calls it a "live video game" and she has been driving here from the beginning.

Bob K

So, you were not able to convince your wife not to drive?

WE live here full time for the last 12 years so driving is some what of a necessity for us.  It did take her about a month before trying to drive.  She literally took the keys one day and said "I will be back" and disappeared for an hour or so.  Came home and declared she was now a Dominican driver. She has a close girlfriend here who also has been here for over 10 years who will not drive here but when she lived back in the Boston area drove all the time. So even after living here it is not for everyone.

Still to this day we avoid driving in places like Santo Domingo, country roads at night and in fact we try not to drive at night at all but need to at times if going to dinner.  But dinner is usually pretty local.
BobK

And avoid driving in heavy rain. Potholes fill up.

Costs: depends where you are. Heavy tourist and expat location = higher prices.

Puerto Plata taxi might be 350 rd and 3 times the distance in Santo Domingo is 250 rd.

Gua guas and carros publico run routes ask the price before you go!

And avoid driving in heavy rain. Potholes fill up.

Costs: depends where you are. Heavy tourist and expat location = higher prices.

Puerto Plata taxi might be 350 rd and 3 times the distance in Santo Domingo is 250 rd.

Gua guas and carros publico run routes ask the price before you go!

planner wrote:

OK, what is a fair price from the Airport in Puerto Plata to Sosua.... 2 people, lots of luggage?

I am,not sure. Someone else.will know I am sure.

If you are renting a place, usually they will pick you up. It is only a little over 5 miles to Sosua & about 9 to PP. Expect $25 per person. To me that is a rip off. But that is the name of the game.  The rates might be different now.  Someone will know the skinny on this.

The rate from the airport to Sosua is $25US for up to 4 people and luggage.
Bob K

Natura Village includes airport pickup in their room price. Casa Marina has a shuttle (I think) but it costs extra.

We have a couple drivers who have brought us from Santiago to Sosua for around $80 US.

Thanks for the up date Bob, I guess they wised up.

Santiago to Sosua for 80 is good.

What  i find works for me is to wait for the plane disembark. Allow everyone to leave by taxi. Than once everyone has gone , I go up to certain cabs and and say I will pay 20 dollars or you can sit here for 2 hours until the next plane arrives not making any money. Do it with a smile y respect. It's not about the money , it's about the value of the service and travellers will not accept to be " cash cows " . Your skills that you use at your place of employment are transportable ! The art of negotiation is not for everyone , stay within your comfort zone . If you wanted to buy a car in general, would you accept the first price the sellers asks ?

I hope you are talking about $20 from POP to Sosua.  And most will turn you down.  The cab union is very strong in this country and if someone finds out you are paying less for a fare from an airport that cabbie may at best lose his job.  AT worst lose his cab and if he is a regular at undercutting posted fares bodily harm.
It is ok to negotiate outside the airport but in the  airport I have not heard of that working very often

BobK

Same applies in the hotels and hotel zones. Any taxi can bring you in,but a union taxi will bring you out. The rates are posted in these areas.

The meat and potatoes of the post is that I have seen to many people being taken advantage here. At home they use these same skills and are very successful and to utilize those skills here. My brother in law drove a taxi in Santiago for years and he could only work every other day as per union rules. Perhaps I should post in more concrete maner.

It is very different for expats trying to negotiate.

Understand the transportation unions are powerful!

Thank you for your from of feed back , after Beening here for X amount of years and listening to how stupid foreigners are because they just generous gets to me. Just wanted to empower people to use thier skills . As I referenced before I have family members in the unions and it is valid they don't play. Always appreciate your comments Planner.
John s

Thanks John.

You make a very good point - expats who overpay continuously set up an expectation  for everyone. Overpaying teaches everyone that this is the new standard!!! It does no good in the long term