Apartment rental in Manizales

Hi all, 
I am a retiree from Scotland who is looking for an apartment to rent in Manizales, probably around one to one and a half million pesos per month.  Of all the parts of the world I have spent time in, Latin America and Colombia in particular has an attraction for me.  I have no experience of renting outside of the UK.
Thanks,
Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Welcome to the forum.

I suggest that you advertise your search in the Properties for rent in Colombia by posting a free ad. You will surely get some offers.

All the best,
Bhavna

Thanks Bhavna, I shall do that.

Hi Charlie! What kind property are you looking for?

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the housing section.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello Charlie,
I am a retiree from the U.S. and have now lived in Manizales for about two years. I own an apartment in a barrio of Manizales, called La Francia. I bought it about it a year ago and have done extensive renovations. One hell of an experience being a women on my own and speaking no Spanish.

I will be honest with you, without having a Cedula, a Colombian ID, you could have a hard time renting an apartment. I ran into the same issue, when I first arrived in 2015. I needed to rent an AirBnB property, which is much more expensive than renting if you have a Cedula. A lot of the rental properties are managed by Real Estate companies, and due to the new insurance requirements, a Cedula is required.

The area in which you choose to live, depends on your lifestyle, and what type of access you what to transportation.

Manizales is a lovely place to live, and the people are amazingly helpful. Even to people, like myself, who don't speak much Spanish. I wish you the best in your new adventure.

dmillonig wrote:

. I bought it about it a year ago and have done extensive renovations. One hell of an experience being a women on my own and speaking no Spanish.

You are really brave! Deal with constructors here in Colombia is a hell even for locals.

Regards,

Karen

Thank you all for your feedback, much appreciated.   I have a Colombian cedula and my Spanish is intermediate and slowly improving.  However, after spending some time in Manizales, I have to confess that I am looking a little farther afield in those cities which are generally warmer and enjoy more sun, e.g. Pereira.  Most of the time I was in Manizales, the sky was completely clouded over and the weather surprisingly cold.  Possibly I was unlucky but I have not experienced such weather elsewhere in the eje cafetero.  Thanks again to all.

charlie1745 wrote:

Most of the time I was in Manizales, the sky was completely clouded over and the weather surprisingly cold.  Possibly I was unlucky but I have not experienced such weather elsewhere in the eje cafetero.

Manizales at 7,000 feet elevation is a couple thousand feet above the other large cities in the zone.  That means cool/cold temperatures, especially on overcast days.

All of Eje Cafetero (literally, coffee axis) gets plentiful rain during many weeks and months.  The rain is needed for growth of the world-famous coffee crop.

Manizales is also infamously hilly.  The whole combination of altitude, rain and hilliness makes Manizales a questionable choice for many Expats .. especially in comparison with the mild weather and comparatively less hilly Armenia, Quindío, not so far away.  Quindío, of course, gets a goodly share of rain as well.

cccmedia

Try Armenia or Salento.. Beautiful cities, warm weather, warm people.