Moving to Rijeka perhaps? Kids don't speak Croatian.

Halo Everyone,

I am living in New York City metro area and I am self-employed (I draft legal documents for law firms across the US via email etc).

I am considering moving with my family to Rijeka. I have two kids (15 and 11 years old) who do NOT speak Croatian (I do, but they do not, and neither does my wife who speaks Spanish and English).

I've googled international schools in Croatia and I see they have an American school in the capital of Zagreb but apparently nothing in Rijeka.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum moved to Croatia with kids who don't speak English (kids in middle school and/or high school) and how did they adjust, any advice etc?

Also, does anyone know a good immigration attorney in Croatia? Someone with experience in processing/assisting with visa issues?

Thank you.
Dino

Welcome to the Forum Dino :)

Children tend to pick up a foreign language very quickly compared old folk. International schools can be quite costly especially as you have 2 children. So I would still consider a local state school.

Thank you for your reply.

My only concern is that the language is really hard and my kids don't speak it at all. I am especially concerned about the older one who's in high school - learning new language and on top of that attending high school might be too difficult perhaps....

Hello Dpalagic!

I am in the same position as you were when you wrote this post... can I ask you what you decided to do in the end? Did you ever move to Rijeka?

Thank you,
Mossa

dpalangic wrote:

Halo Everyone,

I am living in New York City metro area and I am self-employed (I draft legal documents for law firms across the US via email etc).

I am considering moving with my family to Rijeka. I have two kids (15 and 11 years old) who do NOT speak Croatian (I do, but they do not, and neither does my wife who speaks Spanish and English).

I've googled international schools in Croatia and I see they have an American school in the capital of Zagreb but apparently nothing in Rijeka.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum moved to Croatia with kids who don't speak English (kids in middle school and/or high school) and how did they adjust, any advice etc?

Also, does anyone know a good immigration attorney in Croatia? Someone with experience in processing/assisting with visa issues?

Thank you.
Dino

Hello Dino!

I am in the same position as you were when you wrote this post... can I ask you what you decided to do in the end? Did you ever move to Rijeka?

Thank you,
Mossa