Options for leasing/renting cars in Croatia

Hi all from lovely Vancouver, Canada! New to Expat.
We're currently researching Croatia for near future one-year long stay with the intention of exploring  the neighbouring areas and travelling around a week out of the month. We'd love to get a place either on the Istrian peninsula or the Dalmatian Coast as our base. 
Reading about the country, I'm thinking for what we have in mind, a car would be a must. What is the car situation there? Are 6-months to one-year leases available or would we need to rent short term every time we want to travel?
Much appreciated.

Hello Vancouver Gal,

FWIW you may have to go with a) renting long term from a traditional car rental agency or b) buying a used car from a private party (you can check Njuskalo.hr). I recently went to a Suzuki dealership in Split to take advantage of financing deals and I was flat out told I would have to pay in cash since I only hold temporary residency. (I also can't apply for a credit card which allow me to build enough credit to finance a car).

We've gotten away with no car for two years since we're mostly in Split but I'm missing the freedom of a car and live in a neighborhood with a bus every 75 minutes. I would absolutely need a car in Istria.

Good luck!

We used Croatia as a home base to explore Croatia and surrounding countries, staying October 2017-January 2018.  We did allot of research on how to obtain a car, as it was a must for us.  There was no leasing options available.  Buying and registereing a car is impossible, as a visitor.  We did not know how long we were going to stay, thinking possibly a year.  I did read that Audi has lease options in France?? You would have to do your homework on that one??.

We rented a 4 door hatchback Fiat for 3 months with Economy Car Rentals at the Pula Airport.  Their policy is that 3 months is the max amount of time allowed per rental.  They were very helpful and assured us that we could extend our rental after 3 months.  And that they would allow the extension to be done over the phone, if need be.  We were there during the off season.  The extension may not be available during peak tourist season?  The cost was approximately $1500.00 (US dollars) for 3 months, unlimited miles and insurance.  They were VERY helpful, even contacting us in November to bring the car in for winter tires.

We arrived in split (our last destination) and soon realized we did not need a car.  Parking is a nightmare there; tight and hard to come by.  They allowed us to drop the car off at the Split Airport instead of the Pula Airport (they call it a one way drop off) for no additional fee at the end of our 3 months.  We ended up not staying the year, and the long term rental worked perfect for us.

FYI- We drove to Slovenia, Italy, and France.  When. traveling by car to other country's outside of Croatia you will need a special sticker.  The cost is only $7.00 (approximately), Economy Car was able to answer all our questions and give us guidance about traveling outside of Croatia.

Good luck
Wendy Hall