Buying a car in Croatia

Hi,

To be able to move in Croatia, a lot of expatriates think of buying a car, whether new or second-hand.

What are the formalities to buy a vehicle in Croatia: car registration, insurance, etc.?

What are the relevant authorities or organizations to contact?

How long does it take and what are the associated costs?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Kenjee

I don't have the answers but agree that it would be useful to have information on this. One thing I have been told is that if you already have a vehicle that is registered elsewhere you can only re-register it in Croatia if it is not more than 7 years old. I have various UK registered vehicles, the newest of which is 9 years old and the oldest of which is 67 years old! I don't know if I could use such vehicles in Croatia when living there?

As I understand it, you have to renew the registration on your vehicle every 12 months and it also needs a technical inspection at the same frequency. Used vehicles are expensive in Croatia so if you are only staying for a year or so it can be cheaper to bring one from elsewhere. You see a lot of Austria and Germany registerd cars on the roads but in many cases these are driven by Croatians who live in those countries but are visiting family and friends.

Although I will be moving to Croatia I want to retain an address in Hungary and keep my Hungarian registered car on Hungarian plates. This will avoid the annual registration costs and in Hungary the technical inspection is only every 2 years. Insurance is also cheap in Hungary compared to UK but I don't know how much it costs in Croatia.

Hello, i would like to know what is like to do this in Croatia:
1) buying new car in croatia:
- registration cost
- insurance cost( is there any website where i can calculate my car insurance and buy policy online?)
- any other costs?
2) renting long time f.eg. 1 year ( what local companies can do this exept sixt, avis and other international branch car rental companies?)
3) in what website i can find long term appartment/home rental offers (1 month or 1 year offer)
4) do insurance companies provide replacement car if needed? Is it payed or free offer? What is the most leading insurance company in Croatia.

Thank you for answering for my questions. If you need any information conserning questions about Lithuania - feel free to ask.

BR Mantas