Visa run

Hi all, just signed up and the visas have changed since I was last here. I've been informed that Europeans wishing to get a business visa may be asked in depth at immigration ports about their activities. Strikes a bit of fear in me as I'm a pensioner just wanting to reside here. I don't qualify for a retirement visa so I've accepted that I'm going to have to do a visa run every second month. Can anyone inform me of what's involved. The enquiries I've made so far is that either a taxi or bus to pol pier as I'm in siem reap. But what makes me anxious is the scammers I've read about and where Thai immigration is located. Is it just on the other side of the border or is located in the town six kilometers from the border. Do I have to pay the Thai officials for the stamp as I'm planning on just turning around and coming straight back once it's stamped. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

That's a lot of info, most of it wrong, and some questions left.

1. You are a pensioner but you don't qualify for a retirement visa? Please explain.

2. No need for a visa run every 2 months. If you don't qualify for any other Extension of Stay (EOS) you can get a 6 months EG (general) EOS, so after the initial one month visa you have 6 months more, a total of 7 months which can be renewed each time you leave and enter.

3. No hassle about a business visa, and certainly not for Europeans. One of these absolute bollock stories. You enter the country on a visa, either tourist but if you plan to stay longer you enter on a Ordinary (E) visa ($35), valid for one month.
As soon as you are settled you use a reliable agency to apply for either a ER (retirement) or a EG (general) EOS. The EG is for people that search for a job, if after 6 months you didn't find a job you must leave the country (and can come back).
I leave the ER section open, as you have to explain why you would not qualify for a ER extension of stay.

These are the first answers, I will answer the ER question as soon as you give me info about it.

Don't worry, no panic, this is not Thailand, it is the much more relaxed Kingdom of Cambodia.
Oh, and going into Thailand and back does not need money, just a stamp. People of most countries get a VOA visa on arrival, for 30 days by air or 15 days by land. Please state your country, so no surprises arise.

Cheers

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

May I ask you please, how strict the Immigration at PP and SR airports are now for E visa on arrival? I am an Austrian(European Union) passport holder, 61 yrs  and in retirement.
Do they grill us ? Or should they ask for documents?
Thanks.

aginnel wrote:

May I ask you please, how strict the Immigration at PP and SR airports are now for E visa on arrival? I am an Austrian(European Union) passport holder, 61 yrs  and in retirement.
Thanks.

Hi,

I'm just arrived two month ago.

They do not ask me any question on arrival E visa for the 30 first days. Just to pay the 35 dollars and one pic.

Cheers

Thanks so much

aginnel wrote:

Thanks.

As have been stated there is no grilling or whatever questioning going on on arrival.

Just be strict in applying for a Ordinary (E) visa, even when they advise a tourist visa.
Say you will stay longer and yo are retired, so later on you will apply for a ER extension of stay.
After you got the Ordinary visa and you are settled, don't wait too long (they stamp from expiry date so never a day lost) but find a reliable agency that knows about ER (retirement) EOS. You're 61 so no documents needed, no proof needed (above 55, under 55 one has to prove his pension status and monthly income from pension). So for you no documents or proof needed. Just your passport, a photo and money (usually for a year extension they charge about $ 290).

Have a nice stay.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team
pension status

Thanks so much

Thanks , I'm an Australian. I'm not looking for work due to my disability. I was given a tourist visa on arrival even though I ticked the ordinary one. I didn't argue because I was fearful as they weren't going to let me on the plane in Bangkok  As I had no onward ticket or accommodation booked. I had to sign an indemnity form so I just accepted what I was given.
One of the agents I saw said that he could get it changed over to an e visa for a fee of 185 dollars. I paid him the money and two days later he rang me and told me to come collect my visa and money as that avenue had closed. He said it was because of the unrest in the government and Europeans especially would have issues. To me it's all just drama.
I paid him to extend my tourist visa for $51. For now I've accepted that I'm here on a tourist visa, I can get it extended for one month. My next plan is to do a visa run through pol piet.

Aussiedave, you make a mess of your own life!

How can you accept a tourist visa when you need a Ordinary visa? Tourist visa can be extended once for 30 days and that's it, then you have to leave the country.
Why you applied for a visa in Bangkok? You can get a visa on arrival at any of the international airports of Cambodia.
Maybe visas outside the country are only tourist visas, not sure about that.

You were scammed by that "agent" to pay for something that is not possible. It is IMPOSSIBLE to change a tourist visa to Ordinary visa, only by leaving the country and coming back you can apply for an Ordinary visa.

You paid for an extension of your tourist visa and think you can do that again. NO WAY!
Tourist visas can be extended for 30 days only once.

Again, back to the retirement extension of stay. Why you think you do not qualify for that? You are disabled but maybe young? Is that the reason? (Please tell me your age). If so, can you prove that you receive a monthly payment from your country as a result of being a pensioner due to disability? Do you have a letter of some organization that you are officially disabled and unable to work?

In that case you are entitled to a retirement extension of stay, one year max. with multiple entries, costs about $290 through an agent. Never go back to that agent you had, find a reliable one.

You should have asked for info and advice prior to do all the things you did, now you're only repairing the damage.

Ok, come back with more info and I will help you, at least advise you.

Cheers
Joe

What can I say, I'm pig headed obstinate fool lol. I don't explain things very well.
I stayed for 12 months before in Cambodia then I went home for four months. I thought it would be as simple as my first time here..... business on arrival then 12 months extension. This time my flight was delayed by two hours on departure, I missed my connecting flight and the airline rebooked my flights so instead of flying from Hong Kong direct to siem reap I had to fly to Bangkok. The new airline in Bangkok only let me fly if I signed an indemnity form as I had no onward travel plans. This made me nervous and I was already tired,so I just wanted to get through immigration in cambodia with no hassles. So I just paid 32 dollars and asked no questions. My bank balance was already low.
I never even contemplated a retirement visa because from the information I recalled it stated that you have to be 55, I'm only 45. The letter from my government stating that I'd be paid indefinitely I threw in the bin back in Australia because it never even occured to me that I may need it. Thanks to you I now know different.
I think I may just have to accept that for this time in Cambodia I may have to do a border run every two months. When I go back to Australia I will be a little more wiser. My main focus now is finding the smoothest way to do a visa run through pol piet.
Thanks again joe

Ok, based on your info, here the best option.

For now, sit it out and return to Oz. There you ask the department that issued the letter of retirement due to disability for a copy. Say the original letter was lost in a fire and you need it for visa purposes. If you have already regular payments in your bank account make copies of the last three payments.
Those two things are all you need to apply for a ER (retirement) extension of stay, one year each time, about $290, multiple entry, so you can go out of the country as many times as you wish. You don't need any proof for the following extensions, only the first time.

Find yourself a reliable agent that knows the ins and outs of the ER extension. Ask local expats about such an agency that handles retirement applications.
Go there and if they say different things than I do, send me a PM.

The visa run through Poipet should be hassle free. You leave Cambodia and get a free stamp of the Thai Immigration officer, when returning you apply for another tourist visa for Cambodia and there you are. Ask local expats how to do it the most convenient way.

Cheers

Joe

Here a link to a blog telling you about the Poipet border crossing, very useful.
http://milkblitzstreetbomb.com/thailand … -cambodia/

Aussiedave wrote:

What can I say, I'm pig headed obstinate fool lol. I don't explain things very well.
I stayed for 12 months before in Cambodia then I went home for four months. I thought it would be as simple as my first time here..... business on arrival then 12 months extension. This time my flight was delayed by two hours on departure, I missed my connecting flight and the airline rebooked my flights so instead of flying from Hong Kong direct to siem reap I had to fly to Bangkok. The new airline in Bangkok only let me fly if I signed an indemnity form as I had no onward travel plans. This made me nervous and I was already tired,so I just wanted to get through immigration in cambodia with no hassles. So I just paid 32 dollars and asked no questions. My bank balance was already low.
I never even contemplated a retirement visa because from the information I recalled it stated that you have to be 55, I'm only 45. The letter from my government stating that I'd be paid indefinitely I threw in the bin back in Australia because it never even occured to me that I may need it. Thanks to you I now know different.
I think I may just have to accept that for this time in Cambodia I may have to do a border run every two months. When I go back to Australia I will be a little more wiser. My main focus now is finding the smoothest way to do a visa run through pol piet.
Thanks again joe

You can only get two 30 day visa exempt entries by land in a calender year for Thailand. No limit to entries by air but you may be asked for a return ticket and to show 10,000THB cash or the same amount in a convertible currency e.g. USD.

My advice is talk to jo khmer he knows all the ends and outs of visas, he's the main source when it comes to visas , he's helped me tremendously, and saved me time and money

Aussiedave wrote:

I think I may just have to accept that for this time in Cambodia I may have to do a border run every two months.
Thanks again joe

Aussiedave, if you are planning to stay longer before going back to OZ, go out one time and come back with an Ordinary visa, then extend in Cambodia for a 6 month EG general extension. That one is for people looking for a job or starting their own business. If after 6 months no job or business you have to leave the country, but can come back on an Ordinary visa, which can be extended for  or  months without documents.

So there is a way to prevent border runs, although you have to do it once as you came on a tourist visa.

As soon as you get back to OZ, get the letter and come in into Cambodia on an Ordinary visa, extend for a one-year retirement extension ER.

Cheers

Joe

Good Morning guys,

I'm really sorry ask almost the same question again.
But I belong to the group of expats being here as a self-employee, try to produce, sell and/or rent out products (ideas have to evolved and tested against cambodian reality ;) )
And the rules and prices for visa extensions seems to change often times.

So, I have an ordinary visa (on arrival).
And my next step could be to change it to an EG visa, without leaving the country?

JoeKhmer, 23.01.18
"[...] with an Ordinary visa, then extend in Cambodia for a 6 month EG general extension"

My last information was I have to travell to the Vietnam Border (in my case), go one step out and come back for an additionell 1-3 month...

Thanks a lot for answer, including information
Rick

Rick N. wrote:

Good Morning guys,

I'm really sorry ask almost the same question again.
But I belong to the group of expats being here as a self-employee, try to produce, sell and/or rent out products (ideas have to evolved and tested against cambodian reality ;) )
And the rules and prices for visa extensions seems to change often times.

So, I have an ordinary visa (on arrival).
And my next step could be to change it to an EG visa, without leaving the country?

JoeKhmer, 23.01.18
"[...] with an Ordinary visa, then extend in Cambodia for a 6 month EG general extension"

My last information was I have to travell to the Vietnam Border (in my case), go one step out and come back for an additionell 1-3 month...

Thanks a lot for answer, including information
Rick

Hi Rick,

Just go to ANNY Travel, or any other agent here in Kep, not faraway from you, and ask for the EOS.

If you are a self employed in Cambodia with Licence (registered on the Department of Commerce) and Patent (registered with the Taxation Department), you can ask for a 12 month EB EOS (300$), multi entry.

Good luck
Marcelo

Hello Rick.

The EG extension of stay is for people searching for a job or in the process of starting their own business. As you mention to have your business running already you should go for the EB [business] extension, as Marcelo pointed out correctly.

With an EG [general] extension you're not allowed to work, the only extension that allows you to work is the EB extension.

Cheers.

Joe

Make sure you have all the required supporting documents.

I believe there is a change coming on 1 April to some visas.

Rick,

Beacause you say that you enter with a general “E” visa, you do not need to exit the country for an extension (EOS).

If you are not “officially” in business, an agent can probably obtain you a maximum of 3 month EG, or EB EOS, with just 1 pic and the fee.

3 month EOS are not multi entry.

Just check with the agent in fonction of your “official” situation.

As already said in this forum, the government put in action the laws that already exists. It will be probably very difficult, in the near futur, to stay more than 3 month with no official business.

At your young age you cannot ask for ER EOS. Also you cannot work with ER EOS.

Of course, at the moment, the visa run solution exists.

All the best
Marcelo

Wait, now we go wrong.

There is NO possibility to get a 3 months EB without documents.

But there is the 6 months EG extension, no documents required, multiple entry.

If you can renew that after you left the country is a question and remains to the discretion of the officer.

And again: working is  not allowed with a EG extension of stay.

Joe

Sorry Joe, but you are wrong !

Before to obtain the annual EB EOS, they offered me a 3 month EB with NO any document, just a pic and the fee.

Probably all depends of agents contacts in PP. In any case my own recent experience proves that is possible.

Cheers,
Marcelo

Marcelo, it has changed this month.

No more EB extensions without documents. Not for 1, 3, 6 or one year.

Joe

JoeKhmer wrote:

Marcelo, it has changed this month.

No more EB extensions without documents. Not for 1, 3, 6 or one year.

Joe

Ouppsss ! :(

Thank you Joe !

Marcelo

Anything can change at any day or even moment :D

Cheers.

Joe

I knew I had to asked ...  ;)
Thx for your discussion and informations.

Cause I assume the current visa runnings are always interesting here, I will write down my next experience with this.

Cheers, Rick

JoeKhmer wrote:

Cheers.

Joe

Cambodia ! 👍

Love this country, not far from my origin one ! 😉

Cheers

marceloscorner wrote:
JoeKhmer wrote:

Cheers.

Joe

Cambodia ! 👍

Love this country, not far from my origin one ! 😉

Cheers

It's like with Cambodian girls: Never a dull moment :D

Love it too.

JoeKhmer, 25.03.2019 wrote:

With an EG [general] extension you're not allowed to work, [...]

You mean "not allowed to work as an employee"?
But it's allowed to work as a self-employee, writing bills?
Sell products or services?

I ask this, because my 1 Month EB Visa is going to expire next week wednesday.
These few days seem to be not enough time to get Residence Certificate, Bank Account, Business License, Tax-ID ...

The only possible step, which gives me enough time for all these stuff, is probably the EG Visa.

Cheers, Rick

Rick.

The EG extension is for people searching for a job OR people wanting to start their own business, be self-employed. You can get a 6 months EG maximum. In that time you can arrange all paperwork and then you change over to an EB extension.

Cheers.

Joe