Can I live with permesso di soggiorno in London

Hey guys,
So my question is that I live in Germany since 4 years and the foreigners authority took my tunesian passport and my permesso di soggiorno from Italy. In Germany I live with the asylum title because I came when I was 17 years old and until this year I lived with the youth welfare office but now I got the asylum title because I'm already 21 years old but I have the permesso and I don't understand why I have this asyl and now Germany tells me that I have to go back to my country because this title has already ended. I went to school for 3 years in Germany so this is why I can't work here. So in the next few weeks I have to go back to my home country but I don't want to so my question is if I will get my permesso back from Germany can I go to England and live there with my permesso di soggiorno without any problems?? What should I do? Can I also take a lawyer who can help me to stay here in germay? I hope I will get your answers soon.

Simple answer to this; no, you can't use the "permesso di soggiorno" to live in London, it is only recognised by the Schengen countries and the UK has not signed this agreement.

Cynic wrote:

Simple answer to this; no, you can't use the "permesso di soggiorno" to live in London, it is only recognised by the Schengen countries and the UK has not signed this agreement.

Actually, a "permesso di soggiorno" is an Italian residence permit, which ONLY allows for residence in ITALY, not any other EU country.  I don't understand why Germany would give asylum to someone with a valid Italian residence permit.  The story doesn't add up at all.  Also, if German authorities took his permesso upon conferring status in Germany, the Italian permit would have been invalidated, so he's not getting it back.

And if I go to London without any paper will I get help from the country?

Helmibvrap123 wrote:

And if I go to London without any paper will I get help from the country?

No, you'll almost certainly be deported back where you came from.

HI

Can I travel to London with my permesso di soggiorno?

Regards
Theresa

barnardT wrote:

HI

Can I travel to London with my permesso di soggiorno?

Regards
Theresa

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

No, a  permesso di soggiorno is an Italian residence permit, nothing else.  As a South African citizen, you will need an appropriate visa to enter the UK.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you so much for the quick feedback. I am applying for my visa now. I am married to an Italian and my spouse has an Italian passport. When we get to London, do I then just apply for a residence card. I would like to work in London when we move there.

Hi again.

Then that's different, other rules apply; you need to apply for a family permit; this link will take you to the UK Gov website which has the relevant details.  From what I've read on that site, you have to apply from abroad.

With regards to working, the difficulty you will face is convincing potential employers that you have the right to work in the UK, to get around this, the UK Government have introduced the "derivative residence card"; you will find this very useful; this link takes you to the UK Gov website which has the relevant details.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Expat team,

Thanks again for all your help.

At the moment I am still in Bologna Italy. Is it correct if I say that I should not apply for a tourist visa now but I need to apply for a family permit from Milan? To get into the UK.

Once I am in the UK, I then apply for "derivative residence card". Sorry if I sound silly but I don't know all the rules.

I might have an offer for a position in England, just waiting to here.

Thanks again
Theresa

Hi again.

We've given you links to follow where it explains the process.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Expat team,

I have read everything.
I just want to make sure I do understand it correctly.
I am applying for EEA Family permit. This will allow me to enter the UK without a VISA. My spouse will be with me (Italian passport).

Thanks for answering all my questions.

Hi again.

Perfect; we don't always get it right, so it's always better for the questioner to fully understand what the information says and where it comes from.  You now know the answers and the reasons why.

I wish you both a safe journey.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Expat team,

I have been struggling for 2 days. I am trying to apply on the UK GOV website for my EEA family permit. I have completed the application but just before you pay it tells you all the documents you need. There it says my spouse is a British Citizen and I clearly clicked on Italy. I don't know what to do? I have downloaded the document and the correct "The passport or travel document for Emilia
Mascis from British Citizen"

Any advice?

Regards
Theresa