Jacobs bailiffs in UK

Hi,

Are the bailiffs able to clamp cars that are registered in the person who owes the debts name but the owner is not the same as the registered keeper? What if someone presents proof that the car belongs to them and not the registered keeper

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Bailiffs are officers of the court and act under the instructions of the court; if your car has been clamped by a bailiff, it's because a judge has ordered it to be repossessed; they don't normally clamp cars, they take them away, but a bailiff would prefer you to pay the debt rather than go through the hassle (and extra cost to the vehicle owner) of removal.

Other clamping (so, not by bailiffs) in the UK can only be undertaken by public bodies, namely; a local authority, the police or the DVLA. Normally vehicles are only clamped on a public highway if the vehicle has no excise licence, parked in no waiting or other restricted areas (eg permit holders only).  If it's been clamped, it's because there is some kind of lien that has been imposed on that car by one of those public bodies and it won't be released until that lien has been discharged.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Court time with all the proof. Nothing else is enough.

Hi,

Yes, the owner can be different.  A bailiff can target the vehicle for a debt based on the registered keeper because technically the registered keeper is liable for fines etc.  You should be able to get your car back if you can prove it's yours with the proof of payment.

Would it be nice if you knew what action the Bailiffs could only take

Yes if the car owner can change but the Bailiffs have the legal right to visit your car and sell your assets to pay off the debts because the car's register keeper is the liable for the fines.

OP, care to shed some light on the situation? I may have lived a sheltered life. Driving my own vehicles, not someone else's (one exception was, when a friend from Scotland was visiting and another friend lend us  his wife's car, for a few days)

Not to pose as someone who always paays every debt, /i had an issue after midnight. Drove on a vacant lot outside a supermaket. Voila, something like 100 pounds was charged.

I contested it, but my credit card has ignored all such attempts. But then, I doubt, anyone would go to court over a rental car's parking fine.