British citizenship

hi.
i am a citizen of portugl.
i want to relocate to london.
for how long do i need to live in england to become a british citizenn??
do i must to be in england without traveling abroad?
thank you all...

Well as you are a EU citizen you can live and work in the UK freely.

He probably has Brexit in mind. So wants it for convenience.

i know i can move to london...
but how long its to be a citizen..citizenship and uk passport.

It takes less time to google search the answer to that, than it was to start a thread and wait for answers. Gov.uk site is your friend. Try it out:

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen

Since you probably can't even be bothered to do that, and want to be fed the answer, here it is:

There are different ways to become a British citizen. The most common is called ‘naturalisation'.

You can apply for British citizenship by naturalisation if:

you're 18 or over
you're of good character, eg you don't have a serious or recent criminal record, and you haven't tried to deceive the Home Office or been involved in immigration offences in the last 10 years
you'll continue to live in the UK
you've met the knowledge of English and life in the UK requirements
you meet the residency requirement
And you must usually have:

lived in the UK for at least the 5 years before the date of your application
spent no more than 450 days outside the UK during those 5 years
spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months
been granted indefinite leave to stay in the UK (or permanent residence if you're an EEA national) - this means there's no specific date that you have to leave
had indefinite leave to stay in the UK for the last 12 months (or permanent residence if you're an EEA national)
not broken any immigration laws while in the UK
There are different requirements if your spouse or civil partner is a British citizen.

You can't include any time spent in the UK when you're exempt from immigration control (eg as a diplomat or member of visiting armed forces) as part of the 5 years.

so generally after 5 years??

Hello All,

Just wanted to clarify the naturalisation requirement on living for 5 years in UK. It would work for you if you were under the same visa category for 5 continuous years.

Good luck!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

The OP hasn't been back on the forum for over 3 years, so I suspect may not respond to you, but thank you for your input.

With regards to what you posted, the OP is a Portuguese citizen so under the EU rules extant at the time, did not need any visa to live and work in the UK.  The answer to his question was that he needed to have been resident in the UK for what is effectively 5 years plus 12 months from the date of arrival (5 years to get permanent residence, then a further 12 months to qualify to apply for UK citizenship.  You can read about it on the UK Gov website; this link will take you there.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team