Do and don't in Russia

Are you living in Russia? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Russia?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Russia?

Thanks!

I have only been once in Russia. But the experience taught me to avoid suspect people. There are lots of them in Russia.
I would recommend to avoid walking around with a lot of money and with a big photo camera in your hand.

Do learn as much as you can about the culture and learn some phrases before coming. If you are polite and friendly you will be treated that way in return.  At least that has been my experience and I have lived here for 4 years now!

I wouldn't recommend flying within Russia using small airlines. The latest investigation of Boeing 737-500 disaster in Perm showed that traces of alcohol was found in the body of the pilot and uncovered the poor training of the flying crew.
The plane was operated by Aeroflot-Nord, a small subsidiary of Aeroflot. Immediately after the disaster the parent company revoked the right to use its name from the subsidiary.

Personally, I can accept flying only GTK Rossia (former Pulkovo), Aeroflot (parent company only) and Transaero.

Dear windwizard,
some places in Russia you cannot reach using only these airlines. Also if the city you need is not too far away, you can use train (if travel  will not exceed 10-15 hours), it is acceptable if you use 'coupe' or higher class tickets (if you want to sleep during your travel) and much cheaper in price than flying in most cases.
S7 is not bad, especially if you are flying on international flights. And surprisingly cheap, if bought online (the earlier - the better). I've bought once ticket Moscow-Frankfurt for about $100 one way. Tariff "polly". You can check yourself their website. Moscow - Rostov-on-Don ticket price was about 2,000 Rub. which as well quite cheap. Now it is a high season and prices a bit higher.
Hope this will help.
Regards,
Andrey

here in russia the first thing is to try learn language and russian culture andafter that you can enjoy your life here,just do not let your self be easy for others and try to choose good people ,about going in other cities there are trains,and if search about cheap airline you can choose rossiya airlines

I suugest to everyone to travel throw Russia by train. It is the best way to meet Russian people and Russia.

since i'm living in Moscow i can't think of any special local customs that should be learned. Just behave normally.. and yeah, don't be too friendly. russians don't like that.