Do you speak Russian?

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Russian is essential for a successful integration in Russia. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Russian? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Russia?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Russians?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hello Priscila!

Speaking Russia is a key point to live and interact with Russians and so living in Russia without speaking Russian is waste of time.
Most Russians are friendly and want to interact with foreigners, especially foreigners who speak English, Spanish and French. So if you are a foreigner and wants to come to Russia, you have to speak basic Russian.

I studied in Russia for 6 years as medical student, and now I'm doing my speciality in general surgery.
When I first came to Russia, I didn't even know what they called Russian Language.
But for the first 5 months I studied Russian, I was able to communicate with native Russians.
The teachers are well trained professionals.

So my  advise to everyone who wants to come and study, do business, stay in Russia, you must prepare to learn the language  either on the street or in the language institutions.

Hi Priscilla,

I'm a native English speaker that's currently learning Russian online. It's highly effective, and you can check out this link to see the awesome level of instruction that makes it so much easier to retain your Russian knowledge.

The link is:

http://www.russian-accelerator.com/cmd.php?af=1669969

Добрый вечер, Присцилла!

I moved to Moscow on 31 December and had been studying Russian for 3 months online with a native Russian speaker. Of course, I know all of my symbols and sounds, can read Russian (sometimes slowly),  my pronunciation isn't the best, and know about 120 Russian words.

I know two Russians, my fiance and a friend that I teach English to. My fiance is in Israel with her father and Alex tries to help me, but I'm basically on my own.

My biggest frustration being in Russia is not being able to communicate with people and it's discouraging. I rarely leave my flat just so I'm not in a situation where I have to speak with someone.

Here's how I've slowly made improvements in communication. I have a small notebook that I translate common words, phrases, sentences, and questions that may be useful when in public. I can at least speak to someone. I also frequent the same market and stores when I shop. The employees recognize me and I've become comfortable with them. I'm using more Russian vocabulary in these stores as my comfort level increases.

In a public setting where I'm not familiar, I find myself using English and avoiding Russian; maybe, because it's natural to speak English or possible I'm avoiding an uncomfortable situation by not speaking Russian words I know.

Can you communicate effectively using different languages? It's possible to communicate, effectively- maybe, frustrating- most of the time. Ex. A few hours ago, my flat buzzer rang and I thought it might be my friend Alex. It was two women speaking Russian. I said, "I speak English". I didn't say, "Я не говорю по-русски" (I speak no Russian). I missed an opportunity. I believe they were looking for someone who lived in my flat before me. The only Russian word I spoke was, "дом" (house), I said while pointing to myself. I know enough to have said, "Это мой дом. Я переехал сюда две недели назад." (This is my house. I moved here two weeks ago). Again, a missed opportunity to speak some Russian. We did communicate effectively using hand gestures and pointing at numbers.

Oh...I've rambled on.

Jim

i m not speaking russian, and everyday is a challenge to survive, so i take some lesson coz if i expect to got a normal life only with my english skills i am wrong. YoYo !

Living in Russia without a knowledge of the language can be very difficult because they use the Russian language for almost everything in the country.
Anyway, most universities provide language learning course for foreign students, i think for year before. So learning the language is not a big deal after all.
I speak the language. And trust me, it makes living here so easy.

Taking Russian lessons is the best approach. Soon, you'll be speaking "RuGlish"- Some Russian words mixed in with your English sentences.

I am studying Russian, this evening while marking student exams here in Japan. I can speak a few greetings and I have learned a few hundred words from the textbook. At this moment I would probably test out at a "B" in noun, pronoun, adjective endings. I vaguely know verb forms,. numbers, time, months, vegetables, fruits, ok......

I realize this sounds pitiful, but it is the best my tired brain has been able to accomplish between my resposibilities as a lecturer here in Japan. Just because I enjoy studying Russian, doesnt mean I am good at it.
The reason I am doing it????
Good question. Russia is not one of the top loved countries in Japan. I am a kind of contrarian, I suppose. Russia has facinated me since I spent 6 hours in the Russian International Airport, on my way to Iran 3 years ago. When I returned I began this study by internet in my free time. I will spend a month in Vladivostok, in March 2017, again.

I live on a univ campus when I am in Russia, Almost all my classmates are Chinese. My roommate was Russian last time because I had to change my schedule and arrived late. In my dorm all I see are Chinese students. So I thought about learning Chinese instead of Russian.....Chinese is much harder.

It is crucial to learn Russian language to survive in Russia. I am new in Russia and it is being extremely difficult for me to communicate with people. For now I am learning it online.

Hi Priscilla!
if you have any questions about Russian language, write to my
e-mail: ***

Victor - teacher from Russia

Moderated by Chris 7 years ago
Reason : Please avoid sharing your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Russian is really essential when moving to this country, as alhough local people are friendly and willing to help, he majority of them can't speak even Intermidiate language, so it will be hard to interact withouth knowing at least basic Russian.