Can I make it in the Netherlands

Hi,

Just wanted to get some advice on whether I can make it on the Netherlands. I'm 25. I speak 3 languages french English and Thai. I have a bachelor's in English from Paris 3. I have experience working in film production and lots of experience teaching languages. I work really hard. Willing to work 12 hour shifts if it pays the bills. 
I'm planning on moving to the Netherlands with about 5000 Euros because my girlfriend wants to study there, possibly to Maastricht. Just wondering if, based on my profile, you expats this this is a smart idea. Can a person like me make a decent living in the Netherlands and, more importantly, is bring 5000 Euros enough of a buffer until I find a job.

Thanks in advance for all your advice!

Hi Millet1 and welcome to the Forum.

At the top of the page is a link to our Handy Tools section, within which are our Expat Guides; if you read these, they will provide you with lots of information that may help you in your journey.

My own experience is that to get a job anywhere in the world and assuming you have skills that are in demand, you really need all of the following:

1.  Relevant qualifications (teaching in Holland is a regulated profession)
2.  Relevant experience
3.  Speak the local language
4.  Luck

The more of these you have, the better chance you have of finding a decent job.  So you really need to do your research before you take the plunge into moving anywhere.

Once you've read our guides, if you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team