All and any advice welcomed!

Hi all. It looks like my partner and I will be moving to Amsterdam from Cardiff, UK. We are really excited and pending one more skype call I hope to receive an offer this week and start the relocation process to Amsterdam.
We are a gay couple, (both called Ryan) one of us works and one of us studies through the OU. The company has a limited relocation package which Is £3k upfront for moving costs, they also pay initial flights and one month in a  hotel. I have never had to relocate before. It's a junior management position and not director level. Any one who has gone through the process? We have no kids yet but do have a dog? Do we get movers to move our furniture once we find a place? or is it better to buy new - nothing we have is irreplaceable or particularly expensive? Would the 3k cover initial deposits, etc, or would I need more? Best way to take the dog over?  Should we sell our car here or should we take it across? How does one arrange tax, etc, is it an expensive process? From visits to Amsterdam I am nervous to drive in the city centre - it's so busy.
Once we move we will have a month to get our own place. I'll be earning 45kEUR GBP, what kind of place can we get? IN walking distance or near? What's the best advice, considering we have the dog too. If it would be easier  but more expensive to live central, my partner is open to having  part time job to help top us up. The company's office is based 1 minute walk away from Sloterdijk station?
What is the 30% tax rule? My new employee will help set up bank accounts, register for tax, etc - is all this very difficult or quite simple?
Lastly GP's, meds and medicine  I am in the middle of a 4 month dental treatment plan, if we relocated I may have 2, maybe 3 visits left at the dentist. IS dentistry free in Netherlands? If not, is it very expensive? Can you get dental plans? I also have a regular prescription for bi-polar and blood pressure medication - is it easy to get it going that side? Are GP's and prescriptions free? If not, how does it work? Should I get private medical, etc?
Sorry for all the many questions, we are so very excited yet so very nervous!
Please get back to me with any advice you can, I would truly appreciate it. Thanks

Hi Ryan(s) and welcome to the Forum. :)

At the top of the page is a link to our Handy Tools section; if you select that, you'll get access to our Expat Guides, which contain articles that may help you plan your journey.

In general, Amsterdam is very expensive; the Numbeo website offers information regarding costs of living; this link will take you to a comparison between Cardiff and Amsterdam.  The prices reflect the previous 12 months, so are a bit behind the curve.  In general, you'll get a lot more for your Euro the further away from Amsterdam you live.

To try and answer some of your questions:

Moving.  We used Pickfords when we moved; they were excellent; they packed/unpacked everything - they even packed our bin that was full of rubbish; a bit of a surprise!  Other removal companies are available.

Dogs.  Maybe a bit of a problem finding a hotel that will accept dogs; perhaps leave your dog in a kennel in the UK till you find your own place, then get them to send him to you in Holland - I know some kennels offer this service.

Car.  Parking is a pain in back-side in Amsterdam.  Holland has excellent public transport; many people get by with just a bike.  My advice would be to sell your right-hand drive car in the UK before you leave, then buy another in Holland if you decide you need one.

Tax.  When you arrive in Holland, you and your partner have 7 days to register with the local council (Gemeente).  When you register, you will be issued with a Burgerservicenummer (BSN); it is this that will enable you to open a bank account, register a car, register with a GP and pay your taxes (including dog-tax).  The 30% tax rule basically allows your employer to reclaim 30% of your salary from the taxman, they then can pass this on to you; it's an incentive to encourage skill-shortage professions to come and work in Holland; this link will take you to an online calculator to work out how much tax you'll pay; there are additional social taxes that you'll have to pay in Holland; they are included in the calculator.

Medical.  Insurance is compulsory in Holland; normally the costs are split between you and your company.  Your new employer will almost certainly have a scheme in place for you to join.  Prescriptions - you have to pay the first 800 euro's of the annual costs of your meds, after that, your Insurance will refund the costs.  In general, prescribed medicines are the cheapest option available that will treat your condition; if you want something different that is more expensive, then you'll have to pay the difference yourself.  Dentists are not free in Holland, you can add this to your Insurance.  Don't forget your partner will also need to be included.  Speak to your new Employer regarding this.

Once you've read our expat guides; if you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

p.s. I've written this in a rush, will come back later and check it for howlers. :)