Moving to Sosua/Cabarete

Hello Everyone
My name is Marty. Myself and Heather are moving from Toronto to a condo near Laguna Beach. We plan to stay 6 months of the year. I have found Expat to be a great resource and wanted to thank you all for your contributions. We are so glad the people of DR have been spared the devastation many other islands have endured with Hurricane Irma.
We are eager to get settled and wanted any feedback on the best places to furnish our unit. We were planning on heading to Price Smart and IKEA in Santiago but wonder if there are better options. Particularly looking for mattresses, washer/dryer, BBQ and any person able to install stone counter tops as part of a kitchen reno.  Also looking for a vehicle and scooter and a recommendation for a good/trustworthy mechanic.
Thank you

Welcome to the forums and thank you!

Appliances - Corripio, beds, not tv or a/c.

Ikea - use the catalogue and order what you want or come to the gimongous store in Santo Domingo and shop. They will deliver everything but it can take a week or so.

Pricemart is a good choice but often their prices are not the best.

A/c - let me know what you are looking for and I can get it quoted for you! Make sure to buy "inverter" technology for energy efficiency.

TV - best prices and guarantee at JJR technology. They have stores in Santiago and SD. They have  faceboom page as well, check for specials and pricing.

Thats a start for you!

Thank you Planner
That is a great start! We will need 3 A/C units for bedrooms and the living area and having them installed. Any referral you have would be appreciated.
Marty

I will private message you!