Living in Hanoi

You are an expatriate living in Hanoi, or you used to  work and live in Hanoi.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in Hanoi?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in Hanoi?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Hanoi?

Thanks in advance for your participation

Could anyone offer some insight to living in Hanoi...?

What are general living expenses for 27 year old male, teaching ESL...?
I am trying to move to Vietnam to teach english and immerse myself into a different culture.

im looking for laundromat service, any recommendations? i stay in district 10 near the Viet Nam Quoc Tu monument. will appreciate the help.

hi
we are staying in india at the moment & we are a family of 3 members....we will be settling in vietnam in some time...can anyone advise which is a good area to live...we prefer an indian locailty.

thanx in advance!!!

HN is a small capital with many people and so crowded...in other words, the weather here is not so good, it so hot in summer and full the water in rainy season :D, HN native speaker is polite but people in this city quite conservative and elbow each other in work...if you travel around in VN then you will see Ho Chi Minh ( Saigon ) is a easy place to live...especially weather, people and the live costs...those details refer to ...Saigon is the good place to live.
The next question for you all the expat, Why HN has quite many foreigners stay there ? as my perspective, HN is the Vietnam `s capital ... Vietnam `s Gov give the priority the head comp or office locate  here...
Hope this information will be helpful for who are considering where to live in VN.

I would like to know how life is hanoi. especially for a religious, orthodox south indian family,,

though we lived in Delhi for more than 30 years, we are a traditional south indian family and enjoy only vegitarian food.

if you can let us know the availability of indian foods or the dals and subjis etc.. it would be of great help..

Hi,

The two indian restaurants are very good my friend. You can go there anytime and order anytime till 10:30 PM.
1: Food shop 45 near WEST LAKE.
2: Khazana.

You will love to come at these place. And if any problem you can tell to me...i recently came here 20 days before. Like you i was also feared a little bit. But now its ok.

Hanoi is a very charming city

Hanoi is the best! (I'm of course biased because I live there)..and HCM City is a close second! ;)

Anyways, if you want to know about life in Vietnam and Hanoi in particular, the best way is to read about other people's experiences via their blogs. On The West Lake Review I've included a "sites" section with lots of Expat.coms and event sites that should keep you busy while you're here! You can also find on my site some articles I've written about events I've attended. There's something for everyone here. Don't hesitate to ask.

Hope to see you around
Zac
The West Lake Review
http://westlakereview.blogspot.com/

if you can let us know the availability of indian Grocery items or the dals and subjis etc.. it would be of great help..

HN was small, but that was in pass. Now, it's not small. Maybe it's smaller than HCM city, but if you has a compare with any other city in Vietnam ( like my Vinh city ) it's still too big.:rolleyes: About the weather. There are a lot of people had a dream of weather in HCM like HN. Because it had full 4 season ( spring, summer, autumm, winter ). Summer was not too hot ( My Vinh is more more ) About price, you can not make a compare with Saigon. SG is more expensive so much. I like HCM city. But can not be deny that HN is so good. :)

Yes, you are right , compare to HCM city, Ha Noi is a better place to live. And Hai Phong is also a beautiful city to live'

i haven't gone to Hai Phong yet, so can't make a compare. :rolleyes: if have to be compare, i put a preference on Vinh city, it's my home. :D . But still happy because you like Vietnam, welcome came to Vietnam. :)

thorny_rose:

I read tat Uncle Ho was born near Vinh city too....

If theres a chance, I will explore the whole of Vietnam from the north, Lao Cai all the way to the south, Ca Mau.:)

Has anybody visited Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum? Can anybody describe the interior for me? I know that pictures cannot be taken inside. Hoped to visit the mausoleum soon.

lostsouls wrote:

thorny_rose:
I read tat Uncle Ho was born near Vinh city too....
If theres a chance, I will explore the whole of Vietnam from the north, Lao Cai all the way to the south, Ca Mau.:)

Has anybody visited Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum? Can anybody describe the interior for me? I know that pictures cannot be taken inside. Hoped to visit the mausoleum soon.

Maybe, you learned more about us uncle Ho very deeply. :D Nghe An is my home and Uncle too. Vinh is city, center of Nghe An, and Nam Dan is area where Uncle Ho was born.
If you want to see HCM body. Let's go in the morning of Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Saturday Sunday, from 7h30 am to 10h30 am. And if has a time, Let's go visit Ho Chi Minh museum. You will be more understand about him. :)

thorny_rose wrote:

Maybe, you learned more about us uncle Ho very deeply. :D Nghe An is my home and Uncle too. Vinh is city, center of Nghe An, and Nam Dan is area where Uncle Ho was born.
If you want to see HCM body. Let's go in the morning of Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Saturday Sunday, from 7h30 am to 10h30 am. And if has a time, Let's go visit Ho Chi Minh museum. You will be more understand about him. :)

Hahaha. No. Vietnamese should know more about Uncle Ho than me. I only read his biography, watched his documentary & some of his revolution quotes. In fact, I read the history of Vietnam. Vietnam was called Nam Viet in ancient times.:) Parts of South Vietnam was ruled by Cambodia in ancient times.

You want to go with me to see Uncle Ho's body? I would love too. I bet it would be a good experience. But too bad I cannot take pictures inside the mausoleum & his sarcophagus.

By the way, I recorded the My Lai massacre in my cable TV. Im gonna watch it tonight....

lostsouls wrote:
thorny_rose wrote:

Hahaha. No. Vietnamese should know more about Uncle Ho than me. I only read his biography, watched his documentary & some of his revolution quotes. In fact, I read the history of Vietnam. Vietnam was called Nam Viet in ancient times.:) Parts of South Vietnam was ruled by Cambodia in ancient times.
You want to go with me to see Uncle Ho's body? I would love too. I bet it would be a good experience. But too bad I cannot take pictures inside the mausoleum & his sarcophagus.
By the way, I recorded the My Lai massacre in my cable TV. Im gonna watch it tonight....

It's of course. All Vietnamese knows more than you about him. We love and be proud about him. It was not " Nam Viet". :) It was the name: Xich Quy (2879 BD); Van Lang (2879 - 258 BD; Au Lac(257 - 207 BD); An Nam Do Ho Phu(618 - 907 BD); Dai Co Viet(869-979 AD); Dai Viet (1054); Dai Ngu(1400); An Nam Quoc; i forgot for Year, just remember it's of Ly Anh Tong King); Viet Nam(1802); Dai Nam(1820 - 1840) This's the main names in ancient times, his some others but it's a short time, no mind.
I have a trip to HN for my works after i come back from Da Lat. But i don't know it's same time with your travel or not. Because it's depend on my next work travel. If it's a same time, im  pleasure to come to there with you. It was 4 months for not come back HN. I miss it.. ^^

I'm living in Hanoi, Hanoi noisy and quiet,i always remember love the streets, the scent of flowers dairy, the old town ... I was born in the coastal city of Ha Long, but I'll stick with Hanoi, with people I love most

Hi and welcome on Expat.com girl_traitimmuathu_vn87 :)

Armand

girl_traitimmuathu_vn87 wrote:

I'm living in Hanoi, Hanoi noisy and quiet,i always remember love the streets, the scent of flowers dairy, the old town ... I was born in the coastal city of Ha Long, but I'll stick with Hanoi, with people I love most

Hi sister, you are a romamtic girl. Are you living in Hanoi ancient street ?

parkhee wrote:

hi
we are staying in india at the moment & we are a family of 3 members....we will be settling in vietnam in some time...can anyone advise which is a good area to live...we prefer an indian locailty.

thanx in advance!!!

Helloo there

I'm Annie from hochiminh city, if you're going to settle here, i suggest it would be arround Truong Dinh street, distric 1. There's a pagoda which have many Indian people vistit and living arround there.

Best regard
Annie

Welcome on Expat.com Annie :)

Hello jackytan & welcome to Expat.com!

It's especially for the Expat, so would you like to share your experience with us?:)

Harmonie.

Having travled to Vietnam twice for 3 weeks each, I now want to live here for 30 days or more. I'm traveling alone, have many friends thru Hanoi Photo Club and various blogs I write about Vietnam. Been to HCMC, Hanoi, Hue, Ha Long Bay, Bac Ha, Sapa, Mekong, My Tho and many other cities.  Can I stay more than 30 days? Do I have to renew my Passport monthly? If I rent apt for 30 days or more?
http://chuckkuhnvietman.blogspot.comhttp://chuckkuhnphotography.blogspot.com   (daily news from VN)

Why not get a visa for 3 months?  You should be able to get extensions fairly easy. I am currently living in Saigon with my GF.  We are waiting for her visa to the US.  First and foremost, LEARN THE LANGUAGE AND CUSTOMS.  You are repersenting our country so do it well.  It will help you in the long run.:cool:

hi! warm greetings to all! just been here in Hanoi for a couple of months and would like to meet new friends especially flipinos and see more of Hanoi!

01245178566 - red

Hi evryone, I am a new nember!.. It is nice to know all af you!
best regard

I have just traveled to Duong Lam ( a ancient village), If anyone...want to joint...pls tell me. I have got all information about services in Duong Lam Village!

nice to meet everyone

Hi all I'm considering moving to Hanoi but will go there on an exploratory trip next week. Any suggestions on which area I should stay at for someone visiting Hanoi for the 1st time. Any recommendations on hotel? I'm also planning to view apartments for rent. Any recommended areas/districts? What's the weather like there now?

hi oanh tks for yr input. Fancy getting suggestions from someone who is not even living in Hanoi hehe but nevertheless thanks for the initiative

very nice in Ha Long Bay.

I'm Khanh and i'm now living in Hanoi.
It's not complicated to live in hanoi, because people in there are very fiendly (well i know it because I'm hanoier :)) Very nice to be your friend. :D
The jobs? well i could actually say it quite hard to find a office job but the trade-bussiness is very easy in hanoi. Or if you want to open your own restaurant in hanoi, it will be a good idea cuz Hanoi has a very huge cuisine.
And the culture, very interesting.
About the sight, just visit Hoan Kiem lake and enjoy your stay.

For me, Hanoi is the best place of Vietnam to live, to enjoy you life and especially to taste a wonderful cuisine!

Hope to see all of you guys soon, Khanh - citizen of Hanoi.
:D

Hi everyone! I am coming to Hanoi sometimes in April. Hope i can make Vietnamese friends and have a wonderful experience there?

welcome to Hanoi city.... Hanika!!!!

Hi members,
I've been there little time. It's not much difficult to find an job or settle down. If you search peacefully, you can find out a better and cheap accommodation like any other place. Important is patience - truly,most of us lost that ability!
About making friendship:- If we are good we can make a better relationship with anyone. When I landed first time in Saigon, some of my Vietnamese friends advised me to refrain from Hanoians. When I asked why, there answer was "North People not good".
When I mingled with north people they have no problem with me as 'South People' thinks. Every place has good and bad people. The scientifically proven problem is that it related our weather. Weather has a powerful impact. It affects people's personalities. So the weather conditions of the atmosphere greatly influence people's health, thinking and feelings. According to Bio meteorologists this is SAD(Seasonal Affective Disorder).All of us know what kind of weather in north area.
In Saigon I worked and working with Hanoi people. After they come to Saigon, their mood is better because of weather change.
In short, basically all people are good;if we treat them well!

Dear Kenvc!
I think you should spend more time for discovery Vietnam and you will love our coutry more and more......step by step. Hanoi and Sigon 's got little bit difficult about cherecter and the weather.....But the most important....we r very friendly and welcome evryone. specila...if anyone need a helf we r ready to give one hand.
I wish you and all numbers in Expart who r living in Vietnam......alway fine, lucky and happy!
....give me a sms if.......go to Hanoi for sharing a cup of tea/ coffe/ beer/.............
cheers

Hello Khuy,
Thank you for your reply even if you didn't get me absolutely!
When I visit Hanoi, sure we can meet dear! Unfortunately, cannot enjoy tea,coffee, beer or Vodka Hanoi:)
As I mentioned in my profile, am an Indian Yogacharya(Teacher of Yoga) who use healthy food. If you don't mind we can enjoy our meeting with a glass of milk:)
Regards,
kenvcs

Hanoi has a lot of good food. Ex : pho, nem , bun oc... :)

Hello everyone
I am a new member here. Hope to make friends with you.
Have a nice day...:o