Thinking of a move to Cataluña in 2019

Greetings all.  My wife and I will be retiring in about a year and are narrowing our long-dreamed-of expat plans to Cataluña region of Spain. We know the area pretty well and are both fluent in spanish. Being Floridians, we want somewhere different-mountains, seasons. Thinking of somewhere no more than 3 hrs train/bus from Barcelona, inland-Lleida perhaps. Would greatly appreciate any insights on areas we could find that might also have at least a little expat community.  Thanks-albert

I would wait until after the referendum issue has been settled.

Hi Albert,

There is a referendum in October of this year where the Catalans are voting of whether to separate from Spain.  There's one catch, the Spanish government, by law, forbids any region from separating.  So, even if the vote is for separation, it's possible that nothing may happen...and, you're thinking of 2019, so this should be over well before then anyways.

Now, that being said, if you're thinking of a village in the mountains, I am not familiar with the northern towns in the province of Lleida.  The city is nice, but a little further south - so the city wouldn't have the seasons you would be looking for.  However, if looking outside the Catalan region, Jaca is a beautiful town - it's a ski village and was founded as a military base.  It's just north of Huesca.  When my husband and I search for mountain villages in foreign countries, we search for NorthFace store locations and that gives us a hint of where to go - that's how we found Jaca.

Based on my own advice, I looked for North Face locations in the Catalan region and found there is one in Puigcerdá, Spain.  It may be worth a visit.