Living in Catalunya

You are an expatriate living in Catalunya, or you used to  work and live in Catalunya.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in Catalunya?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in Catalunya?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Catalunya?

Thanks in advance for your participation

The English name is 'Catalonia'. This name has been in use in england for hundreds of years... you don't put 'España' so why put 'Catalunya'?

Sorry, just a little mistake. I grew up there and I am quite used to Catalunya, not Catalonia sorry

My boyfriend who is from Barcelona says it's Catalunya;)

Hola mi nombrees diego fernando.mi deeo es trabajar y vivir en suecia algun colega que me pueda guiar para poder radicarme alli se lo agradeceria. Por su atencion mil gracías

Hi!im new to this site and i am very keen on Living and working in Lloret de mar!..i have been there several times on Holiday!i have found an afford apartment but the only thing proving very difficult to find anything on is Work!!i would be willing to do anything cleaning,office work,bar work shop work!anything!!...can anyone help on any sites or anything that could help would be very helpful thanks!Lauren.x

Gaviria Cardona > you should post in the Sweden forum

XxLauren20xX > maybe you should try posting in the Catalunya classifieds?

I live and work in Girona. When I first arrived it was difficult but I found teaching English to be the way to go. Natives are high in demand but unless you're married or have a permit it's impossible to find a job with an academy.

Lauren-Lloret is where my husband is from and I lived there for a year when I first moved here. Apply close to summer-that's when the bars open and I think there will be several new ones opening this summer as well. They always need help! Now in winter everything is closed and there isn't much nightlife at all.

Julien wrote:

Sorry, just a little mistake. I grew up there and I am quite used to Catalunya, not Catalonia sorry

Sorry to everyone if I sounded rude. Of course 'Catalunya' is right (in Catalan). It's not the end of the world anyway :-)

I really enjoy living here. I live in the suburbs of BCN with my wife (who's from here) and work for a Spanish web company. Every day, I feel like I've landed on my feet and after 7 years here I think it's likely I'll stay for good.

Maybe it takes a bit of extra time to get people here to know you/trust that you're not just an itinerant 'guiri'... but once they do, the people here can be really warm and friendly.

The food and and wine here are both excellent, the landscape is beautiful and the climate is, mostly, delightful. I've lived in a few other places but I find it hard to think of anywhere that is quite as perfect (at least for me) to live.

I would like to bring my children over to Catalunya to learn catalan and Spanish (they know Spanish already).  I am a US citizen and wonder how difficult it is to get residency so that i can enroll my children in school.  I am also looking to live in a small town/ village like Cadaques or Llafranc but am open to suggestions.  Thanks you:)

I am considering moving to Catalonia with my wife - we are retired - can someone provide costs of nice (small) apartments not fancy but pleasant and in good neighborhoods - I am a motorycle rider and former racer (not a very good racer but enjoyed it as a hobby and still do) - I understand there is an area somewhere in this region that many fomrer American and English speaking motorcycle racrers have retired - - we love Spain and have visited several times though we do not pretend to "know" the country well at all.

Some place outside the large city would be nice but close to amenities.

Thanks

Steve

Hello I have just joined this forum and look forward to hearing about the experiences of others. I have been living in Catalunya for 10 months - I came to Barcelona for a few months, met someone and fell in love and am now living in a town about 30 km outside Barcelona. I love it here - the people are very friendly, I have made friends and although it takes time to really get to know people( as it would anywhere) I have found people very open. Of course people here are very family oriented - more so than in the UK but I also have a 'new' Catalan family who have been very welcoming. I live in a place where Catalan is the main language - that has made it harder to really practise castellano but I meet people regularly for language exchange and I listen to R3 on the Spanish network. (By the way it is very addictive - I am a UK Radio 4 fan but I really enojoy this station with varied music and very laid back presenters) I have struggled at times with feeling an alien - a blond blue-eyes vegetarian - but the most hard thing has been sorting out various paperwork. It took me weeks to get an NIE number and I still didn't get a card. I have to use my european medical card as I am not working here and so don't qualify for a CAP card. and I have brought over my UK camper van and now can't get insurance for my Catalan partner as it is UK registered and neither SPanish or UK companies will insure him. But....so many things to say but in general I would encourage anyone to come here if they are open and friendly and ready to learn not just one but two languages. Fins Ara

Hi, although I'm British, my mother is 'Catalana'. I love the place too which is why the ignorance surrounding Catalunya/Catalonia really annoys me.(these people for example who seem to think it's part of Valencia!! And that GOD hates Catalonia!!? Please!?? -   landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=55847 ) I just hope more people can learn a little more than the idiots on that link.

George H.

That article is hilarious. It can't possibly be serious, can it?

Thanks for brightening up my morning with that!!!!

:-)
Tom

Not sure, a friend showed me it. Typical ignorance though. I haven't looked at much else there, but they don't seem the mmost open -minded bunch. Glad it brghtend up your day though!

Catalunya (in catalan language)
Cataluña  (in spanish)
Catalonia (in english)

To find a work in Catalunya is not easy, however it's easy to find a home, and if you want to meet people, the easyest way is going to a Bar.

hi, all is fine except very hard to find an agent to find me a furnish aprtment in granollers or sancugat

Welcome to Expat-blog flopez1964! :)

You should post an advert in the Catalunya classifieds under accommodation section as well. It might help you.

Good luck
Christine

[Moderated: Please avoid copy/poste on the forum]