Where, oh where?

Hello, My partner and I, both retired, are considering spending part of the year in Catalunya, preferably NOT on the coast since i do not love the heat. We would like to be about an hour from Barcelona, if possible on public transport. I would appreciate any suggestions of impossibly cute and charming villages meeting those requirements, either north, west or south of Barca. Any suggestions?
Interests:  classical music, cooking, wine, gardening, markets, romanesque architecture, small museums, theatre.

Thanks!

Hello Tzeuezt.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll get some suggestions from other members.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Vilafranca del Penedes is a nice place  45 km south Barcelona with good comunications train bus etc etc.region of wines.near the beaches of Sitges and Vilanova i la Geltru.you can find 2 bed room flats from 350 euros month.

I would think if you don't like the heat, on the south slopes of the Pyranees north west of Girona,would be a good place to look.

Can't advise personally where but try looking on the web for that area

I live in Catalunya, Tarragona, in avery small and quiet village called Mas Romeu de Calafell, It is located in a very beautiful area adn jsut 4 km away from the beach andthe train station. It tooks only 40 minutes by train to reach the main rail satation Sants.
And now there are plenty of houses and flat offered for sales and rentals.

Careful with the heat thing. I live 2hrs south of Barcelona and half an hour inland and its been 30 to 33 degrees all summer. Too mucH! Maybe you could consider the northwest of Spain?
Ros