BANK ACCOUNT AS NON RESIDENT OF UK

Is there any bank in scotland that would allow a non uk resident also a non eu resident to open a bank account? i have been refused as am not a resident and though i spend half my year in the uk this was refused.proof of address was seen to be a go but when i turned up with a letter from the council stating that i co habit with my partner at his address this was not sufficient as he is the tenancy agreement holder and i cannot go onto the tenenacy agreement as i am not a citizen/resident of the uk. please advise if you have any knowledge or info

Are you employed or registered on the voters roll? If you register on the voters roll it "puts you on the system" so to speak and should be able to open an account. I opened on with RBS not long ago with no problems.

Am not employed in UK as only enter on entry clearance visa on South African passport so that does not allow me to. so stuck there😞

Do you have an NI number? the letter it comes on should als owork for proof of address. Try to register here https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
If that doesnt work ask your partner to put an account in your name as well as his (gas and electricity etc)

Thanks Roxanne looking into all avenues. Appreciate your advice. 👍🏻☺️

Were you able to sort out your bank account?
I moved to Scotland officially last week as I have a lease agreement for a bungalow north of Glasgow. I was told by Bank of Scotland and Santander that all I need is my US passport and tenancy agreement. I went to my appointment at Bank of Scotland and was told they need original signatures on tenancy agreement and letting agency only does adobe docusign so I went to Santander and my account was approved but not activated because I was told I need a UK Visa or a biometric residency permit. I am retired and decided to move here. I am heavily involved within a Football Club in the area both as season ticket holder and Foundation and donating plus taking courses at leisure at local University, so yeah just need to figure out how to navigate this as each bank, like mentioned above and TSB, RBS,  I talk to says I cannot get a bank account!
Thank you,

Theron

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

How did you enter the UK; what visa or passport did you use?  As a U.S. citizen, you need a visa to live in the UK.

Cynic
Expat Team