Naturalisation and citizenship in Austria

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in Austria? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in Austria? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Austrian citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

When I enquired at our local town office, you have to have been living in Austria for at least 6 or 7 years and in full employment as well before you can apply. EU citizens have a huge advantage over anyone from outside Europe, including at present the UK. However with Brexit, I am seriously considering becoming an Austrian citizen. You are never allowed to give up UK citizenship, so I will hold 2 passports under the present rules, although heavily frowned upon by the Austrian authorities. Dual nationality it seems only allowed for people with the right contacts or who are famous - ie Anna Netrebko, opera singer.
Advantages are that I would not have to bow down to the whims of the crisis Tory party who are insisting to crash out or leave the EU, and would remain in Austria or the EU, and be able to travel round Europe without having to have a Visa for each country. A no brainer really!
I hope beyond hope that the question of foreign nationals each side of the Channel have a full agreement before the British Isles set sail for the US or the old Commonwealth...

Rod604 wrote:

You are never allowed to give up UK citizenship, so I will hold 2 passports under the present rules, although heavily frowned upon by the Austrian authorities. Dual nationality it seems only allowed for people with the right contacts or who are famous - ie Anna Netrebko, opera singer.

Dual Citizenship
In general, the Austrian Nationality Act does not allow dual citizenship except for persons who obtain two citizenships at the time they were born (e.g. a person born to Austrians living in the US acquires both Austrian and US citizenships at the time of birth).

Thus, if a person acquires US citizenship, he/she usually has to renounce the actual citizenship he/she is holding.

Rod604, you won't be able to hold 2 passports, if Austria found you still to hold a UK passport without their permission then they would cancel your Austrian citizenship.

You ałso have to have your B 1 in German language  and be able to read and write it  before you can get citizenship. If you relinquish your British citizenship you would lose your right to UK Pension I believe . I have three passports as I have my Australian and Canadian spcitizenship as well as my Uk as I was born there . But all are members of the commonwealth , I get my Oz pension in full a part Uk pension and part Canadian pension. Paid to me here , with all increases and if I went back to live in Uk I would have to return to Australia  every 6 months to keep my full Oz Pension as Uk and Australia  don't  have a reciprocal agreement with Oz . Austria and most EU countries do gave a reciprocal  agreements. All information us on line re citizenship in Austria . I am 71 and lived here since 2011 .

To obtain Austrian citizenship itself by application you can check that site: austrian citizenship

Dual Citizenship in Austria see here