How to make friends in Malta

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals and other expats) when you're living in Malta :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Malta??

Thanks in advance for your participation

My best friend has just moved out to Malta from the UK (Leeds) a month ago and the homesickness is just setting in after (xmas etc).
She's married with a 7 year old boy and needs a friend so if anyone is near to Marsaskala and is in a similar situation, could you contact me and I ll pass on to her and she'll register here.
Thanks
Jo

Hi Cavellyousry1, I'm in the exact same position as your friend, only difference is my daughter is 1.5 yrs old and I'm from Ireland. I'm living in Sliema since September 2009. I've just joined this site in an effort to make contact with other people in the same boat as myself. If your friend is still living in  Malta tell her to get in touch with me.
Karen

Hello Karen,
How are you? I have been living in Sliema for 4 months. I am from Spain and I like very much to meet people, but I found that it is a little bit difficult in winter in Malta... maybe in summer with the good time it is diferent...
Have a nice easter!

Hi,

I am Bettina moved here a month ago would love to meet up also.

Living in Attard but no where is far away here, 2 children at school and one at home.

Hope to hear from you.

Hi,

I've been living in Malta for two months, I'm spanish, this is my first experience as expatriate, I thought it would be easier meeting people...

I have a 17th months son, this week he has begun to go to a daycare center some hours in the morning, now it will be easier going around and visiting the island, if someone wants to join me...

Regards !
Gemma

Me once again, I forgot to tell that...

Also It would be nice to meet with some mummy in a play area with our kids, I use to go with Gerard to some park almost every afternoon...

I am coming to live in Malta in November of 2009. I am moving for love but do not have any children. I am resigned to the fact that I will probably end up making friends with fellow expats, please tell me you have all met up and created a support network! I am getting worried about meeting people in Malta who do not mind speaking English in a group.

Hi All, I am relocating to Malta from Ireland at the end of 2009.  I would love to meet some friends to hang out with when I get there!  :D   I am moving to Floriana (near Valletta). Would love to know if there are anybody in the same position who would like to meet.

Hi everybody ! My name's Audrey, i arrived in malta a few weeks ago, (the weather's  hot !!)and i'am living now in Gzira I would love to meet or chat with other expat'. I'm french with spanish origins (me encanta hablar espanol !)and talk fluent english  ! so, wish you all a nice evening, c'u

Hey all

I am from the UK and moved here in July with My partner and 1 year old son! This goes out to all of you cavellyoussry, karen, bettina, mar34, Gemma - would be great to meet up with you! Especially with the kids as I've really struggled so far to find any playgroups/mum and toddler groups. I'm in Pembroke so give me a shout and perhaps we can arrange a date to meet somewhere good for all of us?

Hope to hear from you

Linds
x

Hello. I moved to Malta 3 weeks ago. I live with my partner. We are feeling the same thing like you are guys...it is difficult to make friends in Malta. We are looking for someone or couple that would like spend time together, go for a drink, chat, travel...enjoy Malta in bigger group:-))Please contact with me if u feel the same...Marzi

Hi Marzi,

just got back in from our weekly Expat meeting in St.Julians.

We meet every week at a different location around Sliema/St.Julians and usually are around 20 or more members from lots of different countries.Just come and join in . Send me your e-mail and I will add you to our Expatsmalta.com mailing list or just visit the website for details of the next meeting.

Ricky

Hi Ricky,

This is John. My wife Christina and I are in the process of finalising our move to Malta next March. She will be coming to Malta from 11th November for 10 days to sort out accommodation and to get a better feel for the island. She is keen to learn more about living in Malta and meeting fellow expats and locals. If anyone out there is free for a coffee or cocktail please let us know and she can make contact.

Unfortunately I can't make it on this occasion as some of us have to work! Look forward to meeting you in March

Regards

John

Hi John ,

I'm in the UK at the moment and will be back in Malta in time for the Expat meeting on Friday 13 th November.If I make it back safely (on Friday 13 th !) I would love to take her along to our Friday evening get - together.Send me your e-mail so I can stay in contact . It is always somewhere in St.Julians or Sliema.Coming Friday is at the Quarterdeck Bar in the Hilton at Portomaso in St.Julians at from 8pm-10 pm or longer.

If you send your e-mail I can add you both to our weekly mailing list.The meeting venue changes weekly at the moment until we , maybe, settle down down at some regular place.

Look forward to meeting you in March . You can also check out these other related sites :

expatsmalta.com and
an-american-in-malta.com and
maltainsideout.com

Regards
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

Christina would love to meet up with you. Her e mail address is [email protected] She will be staying at the Park Hotel, Graham Street, Sliema from Wednesday 11th until Friday 20th November. She does not have a local phone number but you can reach her at the hotel +35621343315 or by e mail. If she is not there please leave a message and she will get back to you.

Regards

John

Hi John ,

that's great! I will contact her by e-mail and offer to collect her on Friday 13 th from the Park Hotel,which is near were I live,and take her along to the Friday Expats meeting.I will also put her e-mail on our weekly mailing list so she will know where it will be by Tuesday or Wednesday.
I'm not back in Malta until Friday 13th lunchtime.

Regards

Ricky

Hi Everybody,

I am a newbie so Hi to all.

Can anybody give any insight regarding teenagers making friends.

We are talking about an English girl, speaks Spanish also.

Thanks for all your help.

Hi lucyanya,

My daughter is 14 and we moved here in January. She has made several very good friends at school (San Anton) - they were very welcoming towards her. I don't think Spanish is much of an advantage here, but certainly English is. And of course, this being 2010, once a teenager is in a circle of friends there is facebook!

Tim

Hiya,

Thanks for repyling, I was beginning to think nobody had kids over 5  hehe. 

My daughter is 16 and will be joining sixth form when there,  I am sure she will meet people but I was curious how others got on.

My son is 12 so will have the same for him.

Outside of school, what is there for the kids to do? 

:D

The main things that teens do here are:
1. Paceville/Bay Street - this is the place they go to wander around and just generally "hang out" with their friends. It's also a night club area, but that's later for adults - it's perfectly safe for the teens to hang out there in the afternoon/evening.
2. The beach.

Obviously, being an island there ar eplenty of sea based things to do other than just the beach: kayaking; diving; snorkelling etc

There are other things as well depending on their interests. For instance, my 14 year old goes Rock Climbing and plays Volleyball. My 8 year old son is in Stagecoach and takes piano lessons.

Tim

Thanks everybody for replying,  I'm very grateful.

I spent many years as a teenager in Malta, but that was MANY years ago and its all changed so much.

My daughter has already a hit list of the museums and similar to visit and currently has a good group of friends in Spain, who like to Beach party and similar, her main problem is she's not a clubber and doesn't drink so tends to be excluded (by her own choice) from quite a lot of activities the expat kids here choose. 

She is very much looking forward to coming to Malta, possibly partly because its almost familiar due to my 'oh I remember when ...' from me.  She is very much into her music and several of her friends are in bands etc.  Is there a similar scene there?:cool:

Expat.com wrote:

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals and other expats) when you're living in Malta :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Malta??

Thanks in advance for your participation

HI call me   79820888

Yes please help! We have been here since May and now living in Sliema, finding it very difficult to meet other mothers and things to do with my 2 year old.  IS there anyone out there who can save my sanity???.

kerryf - there was another thread where a user called linds said there was a mums group - perhaps you didn't get that message??

hi ive just moved to malta with my husband and 2 girls ellie 6 and olivia 2 i dont no any one here so looking to make some new friends  im living in qawra area

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone is looking to meet up or for a new friend? :) I'm a little lonely here right now! :P

Katie_88 wrote:

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone is looking to meet up or for a new friend? :) I'm a little lonely here right now! :P

Hi, Unlike most of you, I am not an expat yet ;) And I`m new to the forum . But the future is full of surprises.. I just want to let some of you know, that there is a certain software you can use to join a Maltese chat, And its normally full with a decent amount of persons, I Honestly don`t use it that much anymore, But I`m pretty sure not much has changed, and it`s not the first time I saw foreigners/expats looking for people to meet. It`s a good way to meet over there as well, Altough mostly in the main chat window people will be speaking Maltese, Its not hard finding people over there. I`m not gonna mention it here just in case it`s against the rules, But if anyone of you sends me a message I`ll be glad to help

Hi everybody! I've been here in Malta for one month and I have only met one guy, but he's younger than me and i really need to meet people that have my age or older.. I've been to Australia for 6 months and it wasn't that hard to make friends as I was in a school but here I'm working and it's not easy at all. I'm 23 and I'm here to keep improving my english. I'm gonna stay one and a half year and I m really looking for sincere friendships.. If interested, let me know, i'll be glad to meet new faces :)

"Change your place, change your luck" is an oldie, going back to ancient times.

Marsascala... or some similar places is not a good meeting point. If you are young and come in Malta for fun then move to: Sliema, San Julian's, San Gwann or Swieqi and forget about cheap rental areas.

The beauty of Malta for foreigners is: the foreigners themselves. Not a cheap house or a stable job. So look for a shared flat where the fun is: "ALL ABOUT".

ND DON'T BE AFRAID TO INTERACT WITH OTHER PEOPLE: THEY ALL ARE LIKE YOU.

Sure I could notice that.. But I have free accommodation and my work is in Zejtun, and also I've got a car. So because of all that I won't move. I can drive to sliema, st-julians, paceville easily. I'm feeling good here, cause I've got my quiet when I need it but sure it's much more complicated to make friends. But maybe could you make it clearer to me, where the best places are. Cause i've been to paceville and i only found clubs where I was surrouded by VERY young people. Where do people of my age usually go? what are the most interesting places, like clubs, pubs and so on.

Thanks for you help and interest xx

What time were you in Paceville - it's for younger kids (early teens etc) in the afternoon to early evening and then older people (20s and 30s) late night until early hours...maybe you were just there at the wrong time of day!

hi
i am alejandro spanish,i am living in malta i would like to meet english speakers friends,
please contact me
[email protected]

i think there will be more than enough guys here who will be more than happy to help answer your questions - me included - even though am from the other end...lol

Hi everyone!

Is here someone who lives in Msida or close?
I just moved here yesterday and would love to meet with people.
Please let me know if anyone interested here or send me a private mail.

Have a nice day everyone,
Andrea

hi ppl, do the groups mentioned early on in the forum in sliema/st.julian still happen? am new to malta and my partner works through the week so i am lookin fo rppl to get to no and meet up with

Hi Andrea and fridge_uk,

welcome to the forum.

We have a small group of forum members and others meeting about once a week or more. We usually meet in the Sliema/St.Julians area.

At the moment we have a beach picnic on the Sliema seafront once a week. Next week on Thursday the 18 th August. We have a mailing list for the details so just send me your e-mail and I will add you to the list.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi Andrea and fridge_uk,

welcome to the forum.

We have a small group of forum members and others meeting about once a week or more. We usually meet in the Sliema/St.Julians area.

At the moment we have a beach picnic on the Sliema seafront once a week. Next week on Thursday the 18 th August. We have a mailing list for the details so just send me your e-mail and I will add you to the list.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,
I'm very much interested in this picnic. Could you add me to that list?
Thank you :)
[email protected]

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

you've been added.

You shouldn't really post your e-mail on the forum for safety reasons. PM is better .

Look forward to seeing you next Thursday. The invitation will be sent out on Sunday.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi all,

yesterday we went to a beach BBQ in Sliema organized by a new non-profit group :

http://www.feelathomemalta.com

It was a great event with about 50 visitors. As the age range seemed to be between 20 and 30 and mostly young expats it should be interesting for our younger forum members.

They are planning on arranging future events so sign up with their facebook group if you are interested and check out their website.

Cheers
Ricky