Many moons ago....

Good morning all,

I was reminiscing this morning about when i lived in Malta....back in 95.  I lived in Bugibba, off Triq il Touristi.

I used to frequent a bar called 'Sticky Fingers'(not as dirty as it sounds, trust me) and a restaurant a couple of doors away (the name escapes me) The bar was across from Hotel Hyperion, now called the San Antonia Hotel! The New Dolmen was...well 'New' and the best hotel on the island was Qwara Palace, there was just one set of lights on the whole island and there was the most amazing patisserie just off the square that sold the best profiteroles ever!  The Square was just that...a square, it had one take away that stayed open till 1am and was manky but everyone went and the Square would flood in October when the rains came.

Gozo was just farms with a couple of hotels! So so peaceful.

St Julians was where the nightlife was and all bars everywhere else would be shut by midnight. The cinemas still had an interval halfway through a film (we watched Muriel's Wedding).

The salt beds absolutely stunk!! OMG, i will never forget that smell! ha ha

Building work was rife, it was often referred to as 'Beirut'!!

The money was Lira and there was no way they wanted to join the European market.

The most popular choice of car hire was a tiny jeep that was seriously unsafe, they used to roll if people took them off road and the roads were so bad the jeeps would bruise your bum because the seats in the back was wooden!

Since leaving the Island for good at the end of 96 i have been to  many places but my heart still goes to Malta, We are over in June and i'm hoping my husband will fall in love with it as much as did and hopefully it hasn't changed too much.  I can appreciate that it will have moved with the times, but i hope and pray it's not been ruined.

Ahhhhhhhh memories. xx

Anyone there who was there in the 90's and remembers any of this?

As with all things some things never change.... but you will notice a lot has changed since 95.  The heart is still the same tho.

ajwebber wrote:

I was reminiscing this morning about when i lived in Malta....back in 95. 

Gozo was just farms with a couple of hotels! So so peaceful.

are you talking about 1895 ??? I think you mean Comino

Awww I remember then. I was in Malta in 1995-1997 and a lot of what you say hits home with me. I was only 15-17 then. I stayed in Bugibba too, just of Triq-il-Turisti, in fact I worked at Hotel Hyperion!!! I also worked at La Sorpesa and Tal Pjazza. I used to go to the Square all the time and every night sang on Karaoke at Victoria Bar and on occasion Corner Pocket. My favourite nightclub was Espionage in St Julians. I loved the summer months and hated the winter months, don't suppose much has changed there. Definitely agree with the building work, Buggiba/Qawra was more or less a building site.

I can see that some things have changed for the better but just hope some of the little things unique to Malta have stayed the same

@ajwebber just joined forum. I used to live in Halel St in the 90s above a bar called The Monavale. I played in the band in there! I remember all the things you mentioned.

One thing I really remember… walking across a dusty field to TeleMalta to ring my Mum in UK.

Great times at Sticky Fingers, Buccaneers, Salad Bowl, Angelos, The Little Waster…
@ajwebber just joined forum. I used to live in Halel St in the 90s above a bar called The Monavale. I played in the band in there! I remember all the things you mentioned.

One thing I really remember… walking across a dusty field to TeleMalta to ring my Mum in UK.

Great times at Sticky Fingers, Buccaneers, Salad Bowl, Angelos, The Little Waster…
- @lisacovington

You have replied to a post from 2012.

- @lisacovington

Send a message to AJ Webber and ask her if she is still about to emigrate to Malta. Remember dreams can change within 10 years.

As GozoMo rightfully mentioned: "You replied to a post that was written 10 years ago."
@hanselmar

She hasn't participated on here for four years so probably will not see a private message.

@ajwebber I worked in Sticky  Fingers from the day it opened it was my friends.