Civil Marriage Mauritius

Hi there.

I would just like to know some information regarding being legally married.

I am not a Mauritian citizen; but if I am legally married to a Mauritian citizen, do I still need a visa to live in Mauritius? Or to work?

All response would be appreciated,
Thank you
Sarah

May give you some answers as far as getting married :

http://csd.pmo.govmu.org/English/regist … gners.aspx

Since you are on a student visa , expect a lot of questions from the authorities !!!

I got married in MU to Mauritian citizen over a year ago .You will need to apply for marriage visa at the airport and I don't remember exactly but I think you got to be in MU at least 3 weeks before the wedding ceremony takes place .In MU you got to go to civic centre and they will give you the list of required documents like bank statements, proof of the address in country whereyou live in currently,birth certificate etc .They rest I can't remember but I will never forget all this running around from one office to another.Good luck

Hi,
I dyou are already in Mauritius, once you Married as per Mauritius immigration law you automatically gain status of Mauritius resident, however then you must apply for an official Mauritian spouse resident permit .

Thanks

Yes I am already in Mauritius.
I was told you only need a spouse permit if married outside of Mauritius?

SarahCourtis wrote:

Yes I am already in Mauritius.
I was told you only need a spouse permit if married outside of Mauritius?

You will still have to apply for a spouse permit since you are not a citizen nor on a resident permit now.
You are a non-citizen Mauritian marrying a Mauritian citizen.

I'll apply for it next year then; as I have a valid residence permit at the moment.

Hi Aneta,

I am going to get married in Mauritius. I applied and got a 'holiday visa' from Mauritian Embassy Washington DC. They told me upon arrival, the immigration officer will provide me a visa with. I am reading here that I need something called marriage visa (first time I am hearing about such kind of visa exists). Now I am wondering if I get into the plane with holiday visa, would they give me a marriage visa at the port? How was it at your case?

Thanks.
Tapas

Hi,
Have you already got someone to marry in Mauritius?

At the airport ask the officer for a marriage visa. Otherwise it would be very very difficult to get married here. In the plane they will give to an immigration form to fill. Make sure you mention marriage visa in it.